Start by marking “Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair (Twice Upon a Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair (Twice Upon a Time, #1)

Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair (Twice Upon a Time #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,290 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
There are two sides to every story -- even fairy tales. A he said/she said series with a prince and princess twist.

Rapunzel is having the ultimate bad day. She's been stolen from home by an evil witch, locked in an incredibly high tower, and doesn't even have a decent brush for her hair. Prince Benjamin is in a pretty uncomfortable situation himself. His father wants him t
Published June 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Rapunzel, please sign up.

Cress by Marissa MeyerGolden by Cameron DokeyRapunzel by Wendy MassMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonRapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale
Rapunzel Retellings
3rd out of 80 books — 49 voters
Twelve by Lauren MyracleThirteen by Lauren MyracleEleven by Lauren MyracleThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best books for 13 year olds
42nd out of 181 books — 150 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela Kramer
Mar 13, 2012 Pamela Kramer rated it it was amazing
"Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair" by Wendy Mass is part of the "Twice Upon a Time" series.

Many authors have been rewriting fairy tales, and Wendy Mass is one of the successful ones. This story, which follows the Rapunzel tale fairly faithfully, deviates in that instead of the prince being blinded by the witch, he just has really poor vision and is practically blind without his glasses, which the witch breaks.

The story is told from alternative viewpoints, that of Rapunzel and that of the Pri
Evy
May 20, 2011 Evy rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Nowadays, everyone is developing parodies or twisted versions of old fairy tales. Among all these, Wendy Mass's 'Twice Upon a Time' series sticks out, and in particular the series starter. Complete with the original aspects of the Brothers Grimm story Rapunzel, and with Mass's own little touches, 'Rapunzel, the One With All the Hair' is truly unique. Wacky, fun, exciting, new...I love this book. The one star is taken off because I believe Mass could've extended the story quite a bit farther, and ...more
ABC
Sep 12, 2012 ABC rated it liked it
Shelves: older-kids
I started this as a read aloud for my son. I thought it would not be too girly, beause it tells the story of Prince Benjamin as well as Rapunzel. And I am right--it is not too girly. (Though I doubt many boys would pick it up on their own.)
However, as a read aloud it sort of dragged. I stopped and read it silently to myself and liked it much better.
Az Janae
The book Twice upon a time Rapunzel the one with all the hair. By Wendy Mass is a really good book because it shows both character’s point of view and explains both their feelings. The main settings in the book is the tower that Rapunzel is being held in the castle Prince Benjamin lives in and the forest that separates them the main characters are Rapunzel, Prince Benjamin , the Witch/ Mother Gothel , the Queen, Steven, the king and Elkin the main conflict is that rapunzel is stuck in a tower an ...more
Zoe
Jan 25, 2008 Zoe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: peoples who like fairy tales with twists
Recommended to Zoe by: me
This was a very good book that was never boring... It is basically the story of Rapunzel (let down your long hair!) with kindof a twist, but not really, and it is viewed by both the point of view of Rapunzel AND the prince... i highly recommend it!
Becky
Mar 07, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015reviews, mg2015
I wanted to enjoy this adaptation of Rapunzel by Wendy Mass. I'd read Wendy Mass and really enjoyed her work in the past. So my expectations were high, perhaps TOO high.

Both Rapunzel and the Prince are on the young side--around the age of twelve. So this isn't a fairy tale romance that sweeps you away. (Not that the original story is oh-so-romantic. Far from it, as I see it. The Disney movie is another story almost!) Was I reading it FOR romance? Not really. That's not where I was disappointed.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun cute retelling of Rapunzel. It was interesting to see both sides of the story.
Hannahj
Mar 21, 2011 Hannahj rated it it was amazing
Natalie
Jan 04, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Wendy Mass' take on the classic fairytale is more true to the feelings that most teenagers would be experiencing after being kidnapped by a witch, forced in a tower, and ordered to "let down her hair."
Mass also introduces a new character: the usually illusive Prince only characterized by his nobility, integrity, and good looks, becomes the gawky bespectacled Benjamin, a fan of adventure novels and staying in his room, has a habit of breaking glasses, and hates leeches, hunting, being regal, and
Pandora
Sep 20, 2013 Pandora rated it liked it
The beginning and middle of the story was very good. The ending though was a little rushed and not as satisfying as I hoped it would be. The story was told in a humorous modern tone but, the story was still set in Once Upon a Time. Think Shrek the movie. Another problem is that the two major problems of the characters - Rapunzel getting out of the tower and Prince Benjamin rewarded a peasant have such obvious solutions it is wonder the characters missed them.

Still, the characters are wonderfully
Natalie
Dec 10, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: fairytales
Rapunzel is shocked to discover, on her 12th bday (henceforth to be known as "The Day of my Kidnapping") that she has been promised to an old witch in return for some measly herbs! The witch takes her to a tower but Rapunzel is not one to just settle for things, she Will find a way out! She can't give up now, especially with the help of her new friend Steve, there must be a way to foil the witch.

Meanwhile, the slightly clumsy, but always kind Prince Benjamin is learning princely behaviors, tryi
Bella Puentes
Jan 05, 2015 Bella Puentes rated it it was amazing
~Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair is the first book in the Twice Upon a Time series. Wendy Mass, the author of the book, makes you feel like you are actually in the fairy tale. The book includes magical adventures from Rapunzel and from the Prince. This story wanted me to read more at the end of each chapter because, it lefts me hanging, to find what will happen next.This story is not like you hear before, it is told in a totally different way.I could not but the book down,my mind was set to ...more
Kaiti Holman
Jan 05, 2015 Kaiti Holman rated it it was amazing
The book Rapunzel by Wendy Mass is a wonderful story and is the first book in the Twice Upon a Time series. To begin, Wendy Mass is an amazing author,she is the one who got me into reading. The whole book is a magical adventure and is a little different from the other versions of Rapunzel.{Personally this is my favorite version}."Rapunzel" is still based on a charming prince, a princess{with all the hair}, and a not so nice step mother. I thing this is the best version of Rapunzel because it was ...more
Bridget
May 09, 2013 Bridget rated it really liked it
Rapunzel is kidnapped from home by an evil witch, because her father forgot to pay a debt. She is then locked in the top of a tower in a room with no door only a window, and a kitten for company. Benjamin is the prince, and heir to his father's throne. He is having a normal day of being taught the things he will need to know as king, when his troublesome cousin is dropped off at the castle for a few weeks. I first read this book in elementary school, and I loved it. The reader gets both sides of ...more
Bella Lake
Dec 27, 2014 Bella Lake rated it really liked it
All of Wendy Mass's books are around 4 stars which is good considered how complex her stories are.
Nelly Stepanov
Mar 30, 2011 Nelly Stepanov rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was hillarious! It showed a twist no one ever thought of even incorporating with the classic Rapunzel fairytale. In the story Rapunzel is a snotty brat who thinks only of herself. Her struggle with the prince is never boring and keeps you reading until the end. I would recommend this to everyone who just needs a break from reading difficult reads. You could read the story in a day but it's worth it. The prince and Rapunzel almost use eachother for their own reasons and in the ...more
Allie
Aug 15, 2015 Allie rated it really liked it
It was kind of messed up but it was pretty great in general! Special shoutout to Vani who recommended this!

I read it in hardcover.
Emily
Aug 04, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
It was fantastic! When you talk about Rapunzel, you usually think about the main character, Rapunzel. But this book shows that thing acually happen to the prince too. He has a personality in twice upon a time.The reason I think it is a very good book is because you get to see the prince's perspective aswell as Rapunzel's.
Karen
Oct 12, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Ok, you THOUGHT you knew how the story of Rapunel went, but you only knew half the story. This was so cute and I highly recommend it to all middle school girls, my nieces included. Who knew a prince whose glasses keep braking could steal your heart? Who knew a bratty girl with long hair could be her own hero?
Riley Hearn
Aug 24, 2015 Riley Hearn rated it really liked it
The book Rapunzel, The One with All the Hair by Wendy Mass is a great book. I liked the book because it is a great spin on the fairy tale we all know and love. The story is not all romantic and perfect, but partially dark and secretive.

The book is like the normal Rapunzel, but there is another side. When Prince Benjamin feels like he is trapped in his castle, he doesn't even know what poor Rapunzel feels like in her tower. One day on a hunt Prince Benjamin crosses paths with Rapunzel's tower, an
Daisy Bateman
Jan 16, 2012 Daisy Bateman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Daisy by: Terri Bateman
I love this book it is so CUTE! Definatly read it it is one of my favorites. When I picked it up I couldn't put it down it was so good! It is a great mixture of fantasy, romance, humor, and sadness. I loved it... Read it... it is really good!

- Daisy Bateman
Maria Habib
Feb 01, 2012 Maria Habib rated it liked it
This story is really weird and not like all the other fairy tales its fuuny and unexpected i liked it alot because the writer was making fun of the way the fairy tale writers make the story so lovely and nice and he made the story the complete opposite!
Caren
May 25, 2012 Caren rated it really liked it
Wendy Mass is quickly becoming one of the favorite authors in the library.
This is the first of a new series.
Benjamin: young prince who eventually rescues Rapunzel
Elkins: Benjamin's cousin, one year older
Andrew: Benjamin's servant
Pam
Aug 15, 2012 Pam added it
Fast and Fun Read. A new take on an old fairy tale. Artistic license has been taken to change the story and the language is fun and how teens would talk today. Must Read. Wendy Mass is taking fairy tales to a new level.
Shannon
Feb 03, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2012-read
This was cute. It was something I've had on my shelves that I wanted to be sure wasn't full of garbage I didn't want my kids reading. It turned out cute if not slightly predictable. Good fast read thought
Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl)
Jul 12, 2012 Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I didn't realize I'd read this a long time ago until I started reading the book, so I just reread it! :D It's amazing how well it was written and how it all fit together! Wendy Mass you are amazing!
Chelsea
A retelling of the story of Rapunzel - of course it is going to catch my eye, and I'm going to order it from Scholastic! I felt Rapunzel was a little whiny at the beginning, but I guess she has a reason to be when she's trust into the tower. But the story got better as it went along, and I liked that the prince was not your stereotypical type of guy.

The author did some fun twists with this, such as Prince Benjamin's glasses falling off before he fell out of the tower, and hence was "blind." I l
Michelle
Jan 03, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
it was an okay fun read the ending was not what i wanted,but i could deal with it. the plot was good. i really liked the charcter devlopment in this book as well.
Kacey
Nov 06, 2014 Kacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, 5-star-books
This book was AMAZING! Its nothing like the true rapunzel story. This story is about rapunzel AND Prince Benjamen, a super nerdy prince.
Lauren
Sep 03, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
Oh no! I'd sworn off any more Rapunzel retellings bc they are all so creepy and weird, but this one is Wendy Mass! I love her, and I seriously doubt that that the person who wrote Every Soul a Star and Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Lifecould EVER write anything creepy. So now I must read it.

Well, it wasn't creepy. It was passable, and sorta fun, but it didn't have that super cute thing that makes middle-grade stuff work for an older audience. This book wasn't bad, but I would never recommend it
  • If the Shoe Fits (The Princess School, #1)
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool
  • Fortune's Folly
  • Frogged
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Once Upon a Toad
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
Wendy Mass is the author of six novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space (which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award by the American Library Association), Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, and Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, which earned a starred review in Publishers Weekly magazine. Her most recent book is Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall. Wendy wrote ...more
More about Wendy Mass...

Twice Upon a Time (3 books)
  • Sleeping Beauty: The One Who Took the Really Long Nap (Twice Upon a Time, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast: The Only One Who Didn't Run Away (Twice Upon a Time, #3)

“How can you, of all people, say everything will be alright?"
He has a point. I consider my answer. "Well, it's better than saying 'Keep on crying, I'm sure things will just get worse,' right?”
17 likes
“He looks up at me with watery eyes and asks, "How can you, of all people, say everything will be all right?"
2 likes