Start by marking “Principles of Economics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Economics

Principles of Economics

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,086 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
In writing this textbook, Mankiw has tried to put himself in the position of someone seeing economics for the first time. The author's conversational writing style presents the politics and science of economic theories to tomorrow's decision-makers.
Hardcover, Third Edition, 848 pages
Published March 1st 2003 by Thomson South-Western

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Economics

The One Thing by Gary KellerThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyTotal Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger
Tai Lopez - Book Recommendations
90th out of 108 books — 18 voters
The Wealth of Nations by Adam SmithDas Kapital by Karl MarxThe Road to Serfdom by Friedrich HayekThe General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard KeynesThe Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Best Economics Books
117th out of 243 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Hien
Mar 20, 2016 Hien rated it really liked it
This is one of few textbooks that didn’t make me fall asleep while reading for hours.

With understandable anylisis and detailed examples, it truly is a precious gift for an economics-idiot like me..

Nesrine Henri
May 15, 2016 Nesrine Henri rated it liked it
So apparently I have to rate this in order for my review to appear. So, I read this for academic purposes and my rating is based on how helpful and constructive it was to me with my course, but I didn't truly 'READ IT' I just kind of scrolled through it and outlined what I thought mattered because I genuinely wasn't interested and it was honestly a tad too boring. I'm sure there are other far more interesting economics-related books. Nevertheless, it was insightful and I hope I ace my ...more
Sean
Jul 27, 2009 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than a text book. An excellent work that explains the basics of economics very well. Peppered with anecdotes and articles from the like of the Economist, the New York Times and The Wall Street Journal that emphasize or clarify the topics discussed in the chapters.
Loved it and will keep it as a reference forever.
Martyn Lovell
Mar 16, 2013 Martyn Lovell rated it really liked it
I didn't study economics in my school or university, but I've been an ardent fan of the subject ever since a very good friend (Raymond, you know who you are!) introduced me to The Economist in my first year of University.

Since then I've built up knowledge of the field organically through various sources, but always felt my understanding was lacking in some key areas (especially banking). A while ago I bought this book (which is a 100 level college textbook) to fill that gap.

The text and present
Johan Pascual
Jun 11, 2015 Johan Pascual rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I studied the sixth edition of this book (published in 2011) as an introduction to Economics as a subject and enjoyed it a lot. The content is never presented in a way that's hard to digest, the exercises at the end of each chapter are not complicated if you studied well the material and they're adapted to reality. I specially enjoyed the final chapters at the end of the section of Micro and Macroeconomics.
Justin
Aug 22, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing
Hint for buyers: Get the international edition off a used bookseller. All the same content for a fraction of the price.
Ali Managhebi
Mar 08, 2016 Ali Managhebi rated it really liked it
For anyone who wants to know how Economics works this is a great book to start with.
Mohammad Mollanoori
کتابی با زبان ساده، محتوای خوب و خوشخوان درباره اقتصاد
باید کتاب درسی همه شود
Libromagno.com
Sep 14, 2016 Libromagno.com rated it really liked it
En una narración sencilla y llena de buenos ejemplos, pero al mismo tiempo profunda y llena de implicaciones, Mankiw logra en 36 excelentes capítulos (el libro es largo y grande pero vale la pena) brindar al lector un excelente panorama de toda la economía, desde los conceptos más básicos de la economía (oferta, demanda, mercados) hasta los conceptos más complejos de la macroeconomía y sus implicaciones en la política del día a día.

El libro toma ejemplos hipotéticos para explicar grandes concept
أَحْمَد
Apr 14, 2016 أَحْمَد marked it as to-read
Difference between economics, economy, economic, and economical

The economy is, the relationship between production, trade and the supply of money in a particular country or region

.Economics is a science that studies economies and develops possible models for their functioning, e.g.

Economic, without an “s”, is an adjective meaning “connected with economy”, e.g.

Economical, on the other hand, carries a somewhat figurative meaning of “not requiring too much of something” (such as money, space, time,
Arman Ramezan zade
کتاب آسان فهم و خوبی ست. ترجمه آن مشکلاتی دارد. همچنین ویراست خیلی قدیمی کتاب است و با ویراست جدید نسخهی انگلیسیاش از نظر کیفیت خیلی متفاوت است. مناسب برای کسی که دورهای مقدماتی درباره علم اقتصاد میگذراند، اما اگر میخواهید درباره اقتصاد اطلاعاتی صرفأ کلی ولی علمی بدست آورید، کتابی به همین نام از آقای مسعود نیلی را پیشنهاد میکنم.
البته این کتاب خیلی درگیر ریاضیات نمیشود که کار را برای افرادی که میانهی خوبی با ریاضیات ندارند راحت میکند. ولی من به شخصه ریاضیات را ترجیح میدهم و از این جهت با کتاب موا
Tina
Jun 26, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sehr gutes Buch, sehr leicht verständlich, Schlussfolgerungen, Zusammenfassungen und Übungsaufgaben am Ende jeden Kapitels. Macht fast Spaß es zu lesen.
Einziger Kritikpunkt: Ganz oft werden Grafiken auf der nächsten Seite beschrieben, sodass man dauernd am hin- und herblättern ist. Das nervt etwas.
May 08, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
With clear organization, Mankiw lays out what he has identified as the 10 main principles of economics. The book gives an in-depth, step-by-step explanation of micro- and macro-economics, using descriptive scenarios to make the theories more concrete. With just the right mix of equations, explanations, and real-life examples, the book is a great overview of Economics.
Jon Chin
Jul 20, 2010 Jon Chin rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent text. It's the best book I've ever read on general economics. Mankiw writes very clearly and succinctly. The examples are very clear and helpful at helping you understand the concepts.
Sophia
It would be much more reader-friendly if the size was cut by 70%. Sure there's abundance of information but it's also annoyingly redundant like all undergradute textbooks. Professors please save lives and be concise. Taking 2 stars off for excess of words.
alcessa
Sep 25, 2013 alcessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe das Buch für die Prüfungsvorbereitung verwendet (allererste Wirtschaftsprüfung: Einführung in BWL und VWL) und war mehr als begeistert, weil es so wunderbar anschaulich ist. Ich hoffe, ich brauche es wieder bald :-)
Andri Syah
Jul 26, 2016 Andri Syah rated it it was amazing
Bagi mereka yang menikmati subjek ekonomi tanpa mau bersusah payah mengikuti kelas ekonomi, buku ini sangat saya rekomendasikan. Meskipun ini termasuk buku "text book" tapi prof. Mankiw memiliki gaya penulisan yang enak untuk dibaca.
Victor
Aug 07, 2015 Victor added it
Shelves: economics
Read this half in Spanish (undergrad in Venezuela) and half in English (undergrad in the US). It is a very good book about basic economics theory
Tamara
Jul 30, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it
Very accessible book explaining the main principles of economics. Starts from scratch and gives a nice overview for people new to it.
Yukari
Nov 18, 2012 Yukari rated it really liked it
One of my weak points has been things related with math. Economics is too, but this book made me interest. Although economics is difficult, I think, but it's so useful to live the real world.
Moming
probably one of the most accessible economics textbook. a good starting point for economics students.
Kari
Jul 03, 2012 Kari rated it really liked it
Much the best textbook of this stuff I read, and good thing because I needed to learn it and this was about my fourth attempt.
Chandler
Aug 14, 2014 Chandler rated it it was ok
So far as Econ textbooks go, this is the standard against which all others are compared. That doesn't mean that it isn't dry reading though.
Peggy
Jan 09, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goede introductie tot basis economie. Jammer genoeg was mijn examen niet denderend. Multiple choice was moeilijk.
Qingwei Zhang
Jan 14, 2014 Qingwei Zhang rated it it was amazing
the more i read the more i like this book. all my knowledge gain from it will compose the base of my pursuit that towards CFA.
Ani Andriyanti
May 23, 2013 Ani Andriyanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ternyata, sudah 7 tahun yang lalu menjadikan buku ini sebagai buku wajib dalam perkuliahan Pengantar Ekonomi 1 & 2 :D
Josè Molina
Nov 29, 2016 Josè Molina rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Es impresionante como se puede sintetizar toda la economía en un libro con palabras que son dulces para el aprendizaje, mis respetos al autor
Aria Marta
Jan 16, 2015 Aria Marta rated it it was amazing
A great approachable textbook explaining basic economic concepts. It is a pure pleasure to read, an ideal for those intimidated by what seems to be a "dry" subject.
Marek Andreansky
Jul 24, 2012 Marek Andreansky rated it it was amazing
A great book the opened my eyes to the world of economics. The rest of my life will never be the same.
M.davari
M.davari rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Reading Plan 1 1 Jul 09, 2016 01:54AM
  • Economics
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • The Firm, the Market, and the Law
  • Fundamentals of Corporate Finance

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.
More about N. Gregory Mankiw...