Why I Am White

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Chapbook, 30 pages
Published 2007 by Kitchen Press

Kevin
Svalina, the co-publisher of Octopus Books, loads this chapbook with a lot of great lines meditating (sometimes comically, sometimes obscurely) on the realities and "concepts" of being white.
Sample: "If you put thirty white boys in a room eventually they will grow into one Jeff Bridges & three to four Jeff Goldblums.Five of them will skin their knees. Two of them will lose all their teeth. They will grow cold & they will remove what remains of their identities for the steel drum & b...more
Brian Foley
Nov 15, 2007 Brian Foley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: white people
Shelves: readthisyear
I'd been waiting weeks for this, and when it came last night in the mail, I read the whole thing while the sausage thawed in the pan.
It may only be provocative because it's in the race room, not a very crowded room for white people, but this is conssidered a minor victory in the better of my two eyes.
The lesser eye, let's call him Fin; Fin is impressed by the semantic games and whimsical tone.
An impressive book well worth the slow speed in which my Wednnesday dinner developed.
Elisabeth
mathias svalina on whiteness. wonderfully nuanced poetry jumping from jeff bridges to kanye west to ordinary white things -- all reading like they're out loud by different voices even when it's quiet and you're all alone and you realize the room is white.
Michael
Crazy, crazy book. Now I know not only why Mathias is white but why I am white as well. Audacious.
Carrie
Is this flarf? Not sure why anyone is white, this book does not clear that up at all.
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Barton Smock
Barton Smock marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Nkerklaan
Nkerklaan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
Nick Elder
Nick Elder marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Micknai
Micknai marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012
Kristina  UK
Kristina UK marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2011
Justin Sirois
Justin Sirois marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2011
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2010
Mish
Mish marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2010
Susan Rubinsky
Susan Rubinsky marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2010
Dana Miranda
Dana Miranda marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Destruction Myth: Poems I Am A Very Productive Entrepreneur Creation Myths Play The Explosions