Twilight Comes Twice

Twilight Comes Twice

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Free-verse text describes the transition from day to night and from night to day, revealing the magic in these everyday moments.
Published October 20th 1997 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Comes Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight Comes Twice

Tatiana
It is books like Twilight Comes Twice that elevate the genre with beautiful, evocative prose that brings the going-ons of dawn and dusk to vivid life. I featured it for descriptive writing, and it was hard to pick just one or two examples to share with my college class of pre-service elementary teachers (I think they were already sick of my examples) to illustrate descriptive writing. And speaking of, the illustrations are soft and muted, like the colors of a sunset or sunrise. A new favorite.
Bethany Boutin
Warm, fuzzy light diffuses across these pages, spreading them with a soft and subtle comfort that is palpable. The words evoke a poetic description of the sights and sounds and feelings affected by the dawn and dusk of each day. The poetry speaks with wisdom and beauty that is touching and sophisticated, making this an enjoyable read for families to share, or for nature lovers to relax with at the end of a day.
Meagan
I read this book aloud to my first graders in science class this week, while teaching about the day-night cycle. I cannot think of enough good things to say about it. The illustrations are gorgeous. The language is rich and poetic and full of beautiful images and metaphors. I thought it was a totally appropriate level for first graders, to really give them strong visual images and draw them into the music of the words, while at the same time being high-level enough that most could not access it...more
Catherine
I think this book is OK, but I expected more after reading the reviews written by others. The illustrations are beautiful, but I thought the free verse poetry reached too hard in some word choices. After reading and rating it, I read rave reviews about using it as a mentor example for writing lessons. I will look at it again from that perspective. I have not yet joined the Ralph Fletcher Can Do No Wrong Club. Will read Fig Pudding in the coming weeks, before I make up my mind.
The Reading Countess
Fletcher can do no wrong. I absolutely adore everything the man writes, gobbling up every delicious morsel. Twilight comes Twice is no exception. This book is worthy of multiple reads, using it as a mentor text to pick apart just how a master crafts his weighty words. Personification has never been so alive.
"Dusk prepares for the great celebration of night. It sets the table carefully; Venus, a few stars, perhaps a crescent moon." (p. 17)
Julie
This beautifully written book explains the terms twilight, dawn and dusk in poetic verbal illustrations perfect for children to understand. I love Ralph Fletcher. Have relied on his professional books for years. Just discovering what an amazing author he is as well.
Liz
What's not to love from Ralph Fletcher??? Beautiful language, beautiful pictures. Poetic prose filled with metaphors and personification. Great descriptions of the day, from dusk to dawn. Students need to hear and see this book.
David
This is a really beautiful book. The story is written in a really delightful way. It is full of beautiful metaphors and personifications. The pictures were perfect, they added to the story and didn't detract in any way.
Dolly
Mar 29, 2009 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
A beautiful book...both for it's poetry in words as well as in pictures. The book has gorgeous illustrations and short stanzas of poetry that are easy for children to understand. A great book to read at bedtime!
Theresa
on a list of books recomended for teaching books to students on themes and ideas, as lovely poetic story that uses descriptive words and terms to describe a natural event and brings magic to everyday events
Cindy
A beautifully illustrated story told as a poem. I absolutely could stare at these illustrations all day. Gorgeous.
Jill Brown
Very good for visualizing and descriptive language. Would be good for poetry, adjectives, and maybe personification.
Miss Leacock
Jun 27, 2010 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
Shelves: mentor-texts
Shelley Harwayne recommends this book to help students savor lines they love.
Molly
I use this book to teach the Word Choice trait of writing. AMAZING
Joanne
This is a beautiful book, words, pictures, everything.
Jayla
Good book but not my favorite
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a...more
More about Ralph Fletcher...
Flying Solo Fig Pudding Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You Craft Lessons