Start by marking “Without Warning (Shaken, #1)” as Want to Read:
Without Warning (Shaken, #1)

Without Warning (Shaken #1)

On a day that begins like any other, a violent earthquake strikes Los Angeles, plunging the region into chaos. Two strangers, trapped in a collapsed shopping mall, find each other amid the rubble and join forces to escape. Hampered by injury and darkness, they dig and claw their way through one crumbled store after another, emerging long after most have given up hope for s ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about Without Warning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Warning

And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenThe Gravity Between Us by Kristen ZimmerJericho by Ann McManHow Sweet It Is by Melissa Brayden
Best F/F Romance Books
19th out of 684 books — 557 voters
Tropical Storm by Melissa GoodAbove All, Honor by RadclyffeWithout Warning by K.G. MacGregorHunter's Way by Gerri HillHonor Bound by Radclyffe
Best Lesbian Novel Series
3rd out of 86 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 25, 2016 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lesbian romance lovers
Shelves: reread, romance, lgbtq
I broke down and bought the 4 book bundle with the entire series. Still love Anna & Lily!

***finished a reread and it's still one of my absolute favorites. The chemistry and humor are just great. ***

7/17/14 - need an old favorite to listen to while working. I pick this one!

1/25/16 - been reading lots already this year and been jonesing for a few old favorites. This one tops my list for this time around. Started it tonight. Going to try to stop after this one instead of reading the whole serie
Jul 12, 2016 Luce rated it it was amazing
Read this first when it was online. I didn't notice any huge changes, though the author said it was re-edited. But then again it has been a few years & my memory is crap. The positive is re-reading is enjoyable.
I may skip the next installment. It was not my favorite of the series. We will see.
Anyway, I enjoyed the book, tho their nicknames for each other got annoying after awhile. It is a must read if you are a MacGregor fan - or a fan of traditional f/f romances.
Jan 15, 2015 Hue rated it it was amazing
Wow. I never thought I'd ever find Korrasami feels in a novel. But need I say more? This hit closer to my heart after being still not over The Legend of Korra and the awesomeness that Korra and Asami is canon.

Anna, a mechanical engineer, car-geek, and Lily, a creampuff, sweet-ball of mush. Ugh. Don't miss out and better read this.
Jan 26, 2016 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Yep, still love this book. Anna and Lily are likely my very favorite lesfic couple of all time. The story is filled with humor, the leads have great chemistry, and, even though there are some typos, it's pretty impossible for me to be anything but completely engrossed in the story. And that really says something after the countless times I've read it.

I love this book. Did I mention that?
Aug 08, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Re-read this one super quick, just like the last time I read it. I didn't love it *as* much as the last time. I think I've gotten pickier the more I've read. But I still loved the characters and couldn't stop myself from reading the entire series. Again.
Jan 11, 2016 poppp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I couldn't put it down. I love both of the women and their chemistry is unmistakable. Looking forward to the next books in the series. I'm happy I found this one to read as I feared I've read all the good ones out there. You won't regret picking this one up!
Dec 27, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Really, really, really like these books! I just bought the fourth one in the series. I have basically read one a day since I started "Without Warning". Which is unheard of for me with my work schedule! I just found them extremely enjoyable. The characters are very well developed. The emotions are genuine and it's just a really enjoyable, nice read! Perfect for the Beach!!
WAY too many references to "The tall woman"(35 times), "The blonde woman" (53 times), and the "Dark-haired woman"

Overall, the story was good and the writing excellent on this first book of the series.
Sep 24, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesfic
This is not the deepest book you'll ever read but it has what I always like in my romance pulp fiction: warmth and humour. The earthquake premise is more like an extended prologue occupying the first quarter of the book. It's a short story in its own right and there is a pause before the remaining story starts seven months later. This story is the first instalment of a whole series (four books in total) that is more family saga than romance and is a fairly typical romance between Lily, a feisty ...more
Kat Davis
Mar 23, 2016 Kat Davis rated it liked it
An ok read. Rather predictable and formulaic, however I did enjoy the escape from the collapsed building. Those scenes were written smoothly and were easy to follow, the author handled descriptions that would normally be illustrated by sight quite well using descriptions of touch and deductive reasoning.

After the escape from the collapsed building episode, the book switches to one of the usual formulas, i.e: girl meets girl, she's straight don't do it!, she couldn't love me, maybe she feels the
Nov 19, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lonely lesbians
Shelves: glbtq
This book proves that lesbian fiction as a genre isn't all terrible. Most of it is, and even the better stuff like this makes me roll my eyes and giggle at the silliness, but I haven't read much hetero romance, so maybe it's all like this. Still, this book has a great premise and is fun and engaging, albeit somewhat predictable. However, far from making it boring, the predictability is more reassuring and satisfying, like your favorite homestyle meal.
May 23, 2009 Gill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, month-05
I enjoyed this superior lesfic; it shows that KG MacGregor has been writing for some time and has honed this story. The characters are likeable and the chemistry between them is apparent from their first meeting in the tangled aftermath of an LA earthquake.
May 25, 2015 Cab rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance
I really enjoyed this story. The flow and character development had be sucked in from the beginning. I'm tempted to read the others in the series right "now" but I have to at least finish one of the other books I've started reading.
Oct 22, 2013 Simone rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! One of my favorites! It's cute with the right amount of romance. I dig the way the author fast forwards the story; but wish we could have some of that dialogue in those missing scenes. Love these two characters!
Nov 05, 2014 Megzz rated it did not like it
I can understand why people would like/love this book, however it didn't do it for me. I stopped before having read half of it. I guess it's a matter of taste for this one: the storyline is original, I admit. Two people finding each other in the midst of a disaster caused by an earthquake... but I was disappointed at how actually short the "action" part was. I was expecting more danger, more suspense, more.. intensity, I guess.
Also, I didn't like the characters at all. I found Lily to be extrem
Mar 15, 2008 Lynnabelle rated it it was amazing
This is the revised version of the Shaken Series os stories, with only the first third of the original book. She cleaned it up nicely and it's a fantastic read!
Jun 15, 2014 Maxine rated it it was amazing
Read all 4 books in the shaken series and loved them all, do love a bit of romance :)
Jun 23, 2013 Pipsqueak97 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I just couldn't stop reading once started.
Aug 04, 2016 justLezfic rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ff, needs-a-movie
F/F romance

This is Book 1 of 4 in the Shaken Series. The series was originally published as one epic book called Shaken and that was MacGregor's first effort at writing/publishing. The current 4 installments cover the different stages of a couple's relationship from meeting to building a family together.

This opening book is about two 30ish femme women who find each other and bond while trapped in the rubble of an LA shopping mall after a huge earthquake hits. The short one (Lilly) is a
Mar 14, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lesbian
Very much enjoyed!
Sep 18, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Brief summary:

Lily is a bleeding-heart, poorly-paid, lesbian lawyer. Anna is a silver-spooned, apparently-straight, unhappily-married car salesman. They get trapped in a mall in an earthquake and bond before being rescued, then one day they run into each other by chance and then they become best friends forever. Lily's friends try to warn her away from falling for the straight girl, while Anna's friends and family all think they're embarking on a big lesbian post-divorce romp. They banter and g
Oct 13, 2011 Summer rated it it was ok
Honestly, I'd give this book 2 1/2 stars instead of just 2, but true to the rating system here on Goodreads, this one was just okay for me.

While I love the premise of the book- two women from completely different lives are forced to come together in order to survive in a collapsed mall that's just been hit by a massive eathquake, find love and strength, and live happily ever after- the execution could use a little work.

First, I had to take a step back during the earthquake aftermath part... it'
Linh Nguyen
Feb 29, 2016 Linh Nguyen rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, romance
When someone mentioned a Korrasami feeling in this book (KORRASAMI!!!) I was so eager to pick it up. Then after a while I started to wonder what's wrong with me lately when I don't seem to get into any of the materials I read, and I really really want to like this book. Now I guess all that left for me to say is: "Without Warning, you've been good and it's not your fault, but I'm so sorry".
Julieta M. Steyr
Oct 25, 2015 Julieta M. Steyr rated it it was ok
Anna and Lily are trapped in a mall after an earthquake, ok, what women still do not get anything? Not even clothes? What honored! Come on, it is unrealistic the whole story. Anna and family agency, nothing more and nothing less, than BMW. They get hurt but neither of these has any panic attack or anything like that, no, both are superheroes who can face anything.
C'mon! It make me roll my eyes and yawning.
May 06, 2015 Syeinv rated it really liked it
I finally read up to Shaken #4, and feel like it about time I review this.
After reading the book's description, I expected the story to be all about getting stuck in an earthquake, and the ending is the part where they finally get out. I was horribly wrong when the earthquake predicament doesn't last that long. The rest of the story is about a typical romance, a coming out story, with two people from different class and social status.

Still, I did enjoyed it, otherwise, I wouldn't read it up to
Aug 18, 2016 Kima rated it liked it
Shelves: ff-romance
Sweet characters but that's pretty much it, imho.
It's the same outline as in so many lesbian romance books. Just the background differs.
... and these happily ever after endings ... it's toooo much !
Don't think I'm spoiling anything here.
Tatiana Saturno
Sep 11, 2016 Tatiana Saturno rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian
The way they develop their romance is very sweet and I loved the social work part.
Feb 14, 2015 YC rated it liked it
I was expecting more actions and how they survived through the disaster and that could have been a better setting to fall in love? That was my only disappointment but overall, it was a very light and easy read; a good book for a relaxing weekend.
Dec 14, 2014 Opolitlo rated it liked it
The first half was awesome, very exciting as they try to make their way through the wrecked building. But the other half bored me. I'm quite disappointed.
Feb 12, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-books
KG MacGregor is one of my favorite authors. She took a story that she originally wrote on line, had it published in a book called "Shaken" and now has published it again, this time in an expanded form in which she plans to make it a series. I love these characters and am glad that she is expanding on their life together.
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • Mending Defects
  • None So Blind
  • Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1)
  • Parties in Congress
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Hurricane Watch (Dar and Kerry, #2)
  • Beginnings (I Found My Heart in San Francisco, #2)
  • Madam President
  • The Long Way Home
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
A former teacher and market research consultant, KG MacGregor holds a PhD in journalism and mass communication. Infatuation with Xena: Warrior Princess fanfiction prompted her to try her own hand at storytelling in 2002. In 2005, she signed with Bella Books, which published the Goldie Award finalist Just This Once. Her sixth Bella novel, Out of Love, won the 2007 Lambda Literary Award for Women's ...more
More about K.G. MacGregor...

Shaken (4 books)
  • Aftershock (Shaken, #2)
  • Small Packages (Shaken, #3)
  • Mother Load (Shaken, #4)