Start by marking “Thud!” as Want to Read:
Thud!

Terry Pratchett

Thud! (Discworld #34)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  45,990 Ratings  ·  1,144 Reviews
Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarfs, or the dwarfs ambushed the trolls. Anyway, it was far away and a long time ago. But if Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch doesn't solve the case of a murdered dwarf, he could see the whole battle again, fought right outside his office.
Hardcover, large print, 449 pages
Published 2006 by Leicester : Charnwood (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Thud!, please sign up.

James Alday There are various reading order guides floating around, this one has multiple translations and is worth a look: …moreThere are various reading order guides floating around, this one has multiple translations and is worth a look: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...(less)

Nataliya
2016 edit:

On my reread #8 (!) I still can't help but marvel at the heap of awesome this book is. Undoubtedly the absolute high of Pratchett's writing. This is the book that does not seem likely to lose its relevance in the world like ours, where, sadly, we see the thriving of the hatred and prejudice and insistence on fixating on what separates us from each other fueled by the waves of bigoted populism.

Maybe it will get better one day.

----------------
"What kind of creature defines itself by ha
Algernon
Jul 11, 2016 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

The war between the dwarfs and the trolls was a battle of natural forces, like the war between the wind and the waves. It had a momentum of its own.

It's origins are hidden in the mists surrounding the mythical Koom Valley, a place where each side is accusing the other of treacherous ambush, but its recent manifestation has moved to Ankh-Morpork, courtesy of the city's new policies of welcoming immigrants.

Pretty soon some people will be saying: Who let all these dwarfs in here? They undermine
Melki
Dec 07, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The fighting doesn't start until Koom Valley Day. That's tomorrow."

"Damn, I lost track. Will it affect us down here?"

Bashfullsson coughed politely. "I don't think so, Commander. This area is too dangerous to fight in."

"Well, yes, I can see it would be terrible if anyone got hurt," said Vimes, climbing over a long heap of rotting timber. "That would spoil the day for everyone."

While the main mystery of this one - a dwarf is apparently murdered by a troll - didn't interest me much, there are plen
Grace
Jul 25, 2007 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Samuel Vimes, to me, is the most fascinating character in the discworld series - to watch his growth from a disillusioned drunkard in Guards! Guards! up till the current book - fatherhood! I enjoyed it tremendously. I also enjoyed the idea of having the next generation - with young Sam and Tiffany Aching, and trying to imagine little half-werewolf-half-human-brought-up-as-half-dwarf babies... i truly want to get a peek into the future and see what lies in store for the discworld and ankh-morpork ...more
Richard
Aug 25, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

Another sterling effort by Sir Pratchett and a solid entry into the Watch sub-series. I feel like I’m being a bit like a broken record when reviewing these books; they’re all well written, filled with humour (some more than others), great characters and overall a great character development arc (again, some more than others. Has Nobby really changed since the first novel, not really). But the repetition doesn’t impact the overall enjoyment, I’ve found this series filled with great moments th
Chris Gottlieb
Sometimes you gotta shut up and pay attention: Sorry, but when you've entertained, amused and jollied up an entire worldful of sapient entities, you *have* to be allowed every now and then to get a bit serious.

Depends on what makes you laugh, I suppose, but this is not *meant* to be a funny book. Pratchett is doing really serious, relevant and overtly political stuff here. The "funny bits" are no more than the comic relief in the best Shakespearean tradition.

Parallels are everywhere here. You
Kirsten
Feb 22, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the review quotes on the back of this book says something like, "Terry Pratchett's books are almost always better than they need to be." I think this is a pretty good assessment. If Pratchett's books were nothing more than humorous fluff, I would probably still read and enjoy them, but the added depth of character that he brings to his novels is what keeps me reading them over and over again.

In this enstallment, we find Sam Vimes trying to once again bring a semblance of peace to the chao
Olga Godim
Mar 25, 2016 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A terrific novel. It’s part of the City Watch sub-series, and of course, Sam Vimes, the commander of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, is the protagonist. In this novel, he faces a serious crisis. The city streets thrum with unrest. The dwarves and trolls are ready to turn the entire city into a battlefield. The anniversary of the Koom Valley is approaching.
What was Koom Valley? As all of the Discworld know, it is the site of an historic battle between trolls and dwarves. It happened hundreds o
Kathleen
4.5 stars. Great addition to the Discworld "City Watch" sub-series (books listed in order below). THUD features Commander Sam Vimes, Corporal Carrot, and the whole City Watch -- humans, trolls, werewolves, dwarfs, etc.

Happy to say, the story includes several vivid and heartwarming scenes with Sam's wife Sybil, their one-year-old son Sam, and their resourceful butler, Willikins. Throughout this book there's a theme of promise-keeping. Daddy (Commander Sam Vimes) never breaks his word to his chil
Kaethe
Apr 17, 2015 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
November 17, 2005

"Is that my cow?" I particularly like the side of Vimes who is such a good parent that regardless of what else he must contend with, he makes it a point to be there to read the bedtime book. I'm only sorry my Offspring are too old for the cow book.

Angela Blount
Jul 15, 2015 Angela Blount rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

“Shoes, men, coffins; never accept the first one you see.”

This is my first true experience with Terry Pratchet, and I’m left with the impression that he is (and was) to the fantasy genre what Douglas Adams was to sci-fi. That is to say… expansively clever, decidedly British, and not prone to taking himself too seriously. The man was a brilliant writer and masterful storyteller—of that I’m convinced. The following review will reflect this particular Discworld book only…

Samuel Vimes, the no-nons
Lightreads
Dec 29, 2008 Lightreads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most recent Watch novel. My very favorite Discworld arc, so I've doled them out carefully to myself over the past few years. This one lives up and then some. Sam Vimes and his men coppers face civil unrest as racial tensions flare between the dwarves and the trolls. Meanwhile a mysterious museum theft may have surprising consequences, there's been a murder, and Vimes must get home by six to read "Where's My Cow?" to his son.

It's a Watch novel – either you know why it's awesome and you're already
Althea Ann
Aug 25, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that this is my favorite Discworld novel that I've read so far! (And I've read quite a few of them.)
This one transcends the one-note satire that many of the Discworld books feature (each one takes on a certain topic - this one has a theme of racial tolerance). This installment of the series also pokes gentle fun at the mystery genre - but, while doing so, is itself a quite good mystery novel!
It actually kicks the crap out of any of the glut of 'paranormal investigation' novels that hav
Fiona
Oh, he's good. He's very good. Sam Vimes and the City Watch is the only Discworld arc that I don't think I've ever tired of two thirds of the way through a book, and I'm so glad I picked this one up. It's a very well-crafted whodunnit, with a rich and complicated backdrop and a well-rounded and thoroughly interesting cast. The pace is spot on. The parallels to the real world, and the Serious Issues, while undeniably serious and difficult, are not particularly in-your-face or preachey. Well, may ...more
Thiago d'Evecque
Uma nova história no arco da Guarda da Cidade e, como Night Watch, mais sombria, também.

Sam Vimes é provavelmente o personagem mais interessante e real do Disco. Podemos sentir sua fúria transbordando, seu amor e preocupação pela família (e pela Guarda, sua segunda família), seu sendo de dever por Ankh, seu respeito/afronta com o Patrício, sua inteligência streetsmart.

Como os outros livros da série, o gênero predominante é o humor, mas as minhas cenas favoritas foram: quando atacam a casa de Vim
Hannah
May 04, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sniff...sniff...

Now I know why Anne Elisabeth Stengl says this author has the power to make you cry and laugh within sentences. The storyline with Sam and little Sam...wow...just wow....
Óli Sóleyjarson
Í dag er ár síðan að Terry Pratchett lést. Síðan þá hef ég hægt og rólega verið að lesa Discworld bækurnar. Nær án undantekningar hafa þær verið betri en mig minnti. Þessi er eitt enn dæmi um það.

Ég talaði aðeins um Pratchett í útvarpsþætti sem var gerður í kjölfar andláts hans. Ég veit ekki hvað endaði í þættinum en ég man ég lagði áherslu á fjölmenningarhyggjuna sem birtist í bókum Pratchett. Ég hef alltaf túlkað bækur hans á þá leið að hann hafi verið gríðarlegur fjölmenningarsinni.

Hann var e
Carrie
Jan 15, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will try to refrain from asking you all, yet again, why you are not yet reading Terry Pratchett (if indeed, you are not). Whoops, too late. Thud is a Discworld novel, focusing, as most of the more recent books have, on Sam Vimes, the Commander of the Watch in the city of Ankh-Morph, and the troubles that ensue when the ethnic tensions arise between the local Trolls and Dwarfs, who had been generally in peace, despite traditions of enmity between the two groups. Basically, a group of fundamenta ...more
Rachel
Dec 27, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single person on the planet
Well, here's a no-brainer. A fantasy book with a grumpy and unwillingly badass policeman? A comedy with underlying important race issues? Yes please.

Thud! was the first Pratchett that I read, and the first book I ever had which actually fitted in my handbag of the time (I've now got a decent book-sized one). As such, the gold is almost gone from the cover, the pages are falling out, and the covers themselves are battered beyond saving. I must have read this book at least 25 times, if not more.
Wombok
Nov 05, 2011 Wombok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic Discworld novel. I feel like these books just keep getting better and better. I reread the early ones and compare them with these later ones and am amazed at how much the writing and style and depth has increased while the humour is still constant throughout. This story was focused on Samuel Vimes and the conflict between the Dwarves and Trolls. As always, the events in the Discworld parody our own world both politically and personally.
Evgeni Kirilov
Oct 28, 2015 Evgeni Kirilov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe it was Patrick Rothfuss who, in his review of this book, said that it was in many ways a conclusion to the story that started with Feet of Clay. I find myself agreeing with this. If anything, the story began with Men at Arms (Guards! Guards! feels more like an introductory book than an actual part of the story), and it has been a story about racial and cultural diversity, ancestral hatred, and what different people do with power. It's really a meaningful story.
K.T. Katzmann
Jul 08, 2016 K.T. Katzmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans. Fantasy fans. Fathers.
Shelves: fantasy
I keep this book around to make me cry. It works every time.

It's about a lot of things, and one thing. The one thing is racism, but there's little things swimming around in it, and one of those is fatherhood and what it means to be a father.

The sections that taught me about that are pages 110-122 and 324- 336. Don't grab a copy just to read those; it might not have the same emotional impact. Read the book. Yes, it's the 7th in a miniseries, but Terry was good in making them stand alone. Read it
Carles Caño Valls
Una obra maestra de Terry Prattchet. Esta es una novela de la saga de los guardias del Mundodisco. Creía que nada estaría a la altura de "Ronda de noche" pero me equivocaba. "¡Zas!" es una novela magnífica en la que el comandante Vimes echa mano de todo su ingenio para intentar evitar una guerra entre trolls y enanos. Novela policíaca ambientada en un mundo fantástico que además es una sátira del fanatismo en nuestra sociedad con toques de humor que arrancan más de una carcajada. Lo reeleré, seg ...more
Peter
Dec 26, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THUD
Terry Pratchet
Doubleday ISBN 0385 608675

Another excellent book in the Discworld series from Terry Pratchet, and another one without chapters. The dwarves and the Trolls have never been friends, rather they have been enemies. Now there are so many of them in the city that trouble is about to occur in Ankh-Morpork. The ONLY one who can sort it out is Commander Vimes of the city Watch (police). This is more that just a war story (well not a war story at all really), it has some good characteris
Sarai
I listened to this as a book on CD. I had never read any other Terry Pratchett books but was familiar with the name because I have shelved quite a few. I was at a branch waiting to observe a YA program and got there a bit early so I was browsing the shelves looking for something to listen to in my car and came across this one.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

There was no sense of having missed anything from having not read the other books in the Discworld series; this was really a stand-alone book. The
Autumn
Apr 18, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
definitely one of my favorite terry pratchett books, especially in the city watch series. this one is beautifully crafted and creates a path that a reader must follow all the way to the end in order to resolve. sam vines himself proves once again to be "as straight as an arrow", and yet is full of criminal character flaws, which makes him one of the best developed characters that i have ever read.

as for the whole koom valley business, i love the way mr. pratchett has created this world that is
Marina
Aug 12, 2016 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, wishlist
I always start off not really fully enjoying these books, but then by the halfway point I can barely stop.

As always, Pratchett is hilarious, yet very poignant.

I didn't really like the Fred/Nobby storyline in this one, it felt somewhat fragmented, and not fully present. I realized the morning after I read the book, however, that this may be because of Terry's Alzheimer's. Not to mention the plotline with Nobby's girlfriend was a little too cliche and not subversive enough.

Better review later.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7), Terry Pratchett
Margaret
Thud! is part of the Watch subseries, easily my favorites of the Discworld books. Here, Ankh-Morpork is threatened by increasing hostility between the trolls and the dwarves on the eve of the anniversary of the battle of Koom Valley, and Vimes and the rest of the Watch must defuse the tension by solving the mysterious murder of one of the dwarf leaders. I don't think this is my favorite of the Watch novels, but it's as amusing as always, and Pratchett provides interesting sidelights on the chara ...more
Mariella
Jan 06, 2011 Mariella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favourite Discworld novel. Yes, it's hard to choose favourites (though everyone seems to ignore this rule where Hogsfather is concerned), but the dynamic of the City Watch is at its most interesting here. Not to mention the scene of The Watchman vs. The Summoning Dark has for me the same kind of thrill as a classic movie reveal...that feeling of an immense payoff where you just want to pump your fist in the air and at the same time feel that nothing can ever be quite that bada** agai ...more
Dwarf vs. Troll 12 118 Oct 07, 2013 01:43AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: My Fifth Terry Pratchett this Year 6 5 Aug 16, 2012 07:09AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Thud! by Terry Pratchett 1 3 May 25, 2012 07:50PM
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self.” 390 likes
“Why bother with a cunning plan when a simple one will do?” 136 likes