Start by marking “The Most Thankful Thing” as Want to Read:
The Most Thankful Thing

The Most Thankful Thing

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This heartwarming picture book by the creators of I LOVE YOU, STINKY FACE reveals what every parent is most thankful for. A perfect bedtime story for every day -- and especially for Thanksgiving!

When a little girl asks her mom what her "most thankful thing ever" is, Mom turns the question into a fun trip down memory lane. Turning the pages of Mom's photo album, they discov
Published October 1st 2004 by Cartwheel (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Thankful Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Thankful Thing

Oct 23, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
Full disclosure: I don't have kids so I can't speak about this book as a parent.

That being said, I did not like this too-sweet story about a mother's most amazing thing. A young girl asks her mother about her 'most thankful thing' and the two flip through the scrapbook. They revisit the highlights of her mother's life (a very clean, edited version?) and at the end, the mother assures her daughter that she is the most amazing thing. In addition to being too sweet, it's also pretty mom focused. I'
Nausheen Ukani
Feb 19, 2013 Nausheen Ukani rated it really liked it
This is one heartwarming picture book about being thankful, and an excellent read to have during Thanksgiving. A mother and daughter go through a photo album as the daughter tries to figure out what her mother's most thankful thing is. It's such a sweet children's book, and my Kindergarten students loved reading it as a large group read aloud! I had them do a drawing a short writing piece on their most thankful thing, and the students put it all together in a class photo album. It was a great fo ...more
Corinne
Jan 20, 2015 Corinne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very cute scrapbook story of the mom's past. I cried at the end.
Rachel
Oct 31, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graeme-s-books
This redheaded mom pages through old scrapbooks documenting all the happy, exciting, fun, and fulfilling moments of her life pre-baby. In the end, though, she assures her child that no matter what happened or could have happened (including becoming famous and earning a trillion dollars!) that nothing could have come close to topping how thankful she was when she held her baby for the first time. Delightful way to say, "You're more important, more loved, more cherished, more appreciated than anyt ...more
Jessica Chambliss
Mar 15, 2012 Jessica Chambliss rated it really liked it
This book could be great for a thanksgiving lesson and how everyone should be thankful in life. This little girl is discussing with her mom what he mom is most thankful for. This is a great book for K-3

Great book to discuss things everyone is most thankful for in life. The little girl in the story goes through her mother's scrapbook with her mother to see what she is most thankful for. Come to find out, her mother is most thankful for her daughter, which is her!
Good read for Kindergarten to 3rd
Alissa
Nov 27, 2011 Alissa rated it really liked it
Mama is sitting quietly one morning thinking about all the things that she is grateful for, but there is one thing that is her most thankful thing. Looking through Mama's scrapbook, we find that her most thankful thing is not summer camp, soccer, playing guitar, prom, or many other things. Reading this book helps reflect and talk about things you might have done as a child, but also help your own children realize what is most important. The book is organized in a fun scrapbook style.
The Library Lady
Dec 18, 2008 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
The gushing of the adults here tells me that this is another in the great awful tradition of Robert Munsch's "Love You Forever".
In another words, books adults gently weep over with all the saccharine sentimentality adults can muster, while the kids nod their heads,wonder what all the fuss is about and wait for the grownup to read them something GOOD!
Sarah Zimmer
Apr 28, 2012 Sarah Zimmer rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little girl who catches her mom in a room, quietly thinking about what she is thankful for. The little girl asks the mom to share and they go through her mother's scrapbook, looking at all the things she has to be thankful for. This is a great book for a mother and child to read together!
Chenoa Brown
Apr 11, 2011 Chenoa Brown rated it it was amazing
Good read for Kindergarten to 3rd grade
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades Pre-K - 3
Not necessarily a Thanksgiving book, but a beautiful story about a little girl asking her mother what she is most thankful for. Mother reflects on important times in her life, culminating in the birth of her daughter. A goosebump/ahhhhwww book.
Dolly
Jul 25, 2009 Dolly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale that is great to read with your children. It really spells out how truly special becoming a Mom really is and how much we love our children. We've read this one a few times.
Teresa
Oct 31, 2010 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This is a super sweet book about a mom and daughter going through the mom's life trying to figure out what the mom is most thankful for. The illustrations are very cute and perfect for the story.
Mar 17, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
This story makes me cry every time I read it. It's a cute children's story where the mom explains to her daughter what her most thankful thing is. You moms all need to get this for your kids!
Mekia
Oct 31, 2010 Mekia rated it it was amazing
a girl who tries to find out her mother's most thankful thing in her whole life

it's not really a Thanksgiving book, but it could be used to show the most thankful thing
Caithlin
Nov 22, 2011 Caithlin rated it really liked it
Super cute book! I used it as a read aloud in class to introduce a writing unit on being thankful! Really fun illustrations and scrapbook-like layout.
Angie crosby
Nov 10, 2010 Angie crosby rated it it was ok
This book was way mushy and just didn't do anything for me. You could see the ending a mile away.

I gave it a two only because my baby liked the pictures.
Tiffany
Jan 12, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, all-ages
This is a book that reminds me to always be thankful for everything that I have. It is a scholastic book.
Crystal
Feb 14, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book. My daughter loved it.
Claire
May 04, 2010 Claire rated it it was amazing
Always makes my mom cry.
Katie
AR BL: 3.2
Points 0.5
Nicky
Nicky rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Harriet Torrico
Harriet Torrico marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jun 03, 2016
Kim Amberg
Kim Amberg rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
April
April rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Gwendy Rodriguez
Gwendy Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016