Start by marking “Bad Men” as Want to Read:
Bad Men

Bad Men

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,998 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
BAD MEN

On the Maine island once known as Sanctuary, policeman Joe Dupree is the guardian of its secrets, keeper of its memories. He knows that Sanctuary had been steeped in carnage once, centuries ago, when its settlers were betrayed to their enemies and slaughtered. Now, a strange, otherworldly evil is about to descend again....With rookie officer Sharon Macy, Joe stan

Published May 2005 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2003)

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
302nd out of 1,384 books — 4,217 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd the Tide Turns by Timothy  DaltonMisery by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Eternal Chain by Anthony Hulse
Best Suspense/Thrillers
20th out of 122 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Bandit
Aug 12, 2012 Bandit rated it it was amazing
Exceptional as one might come to expect from Connolly, this is actually a semi stand alone book, although still set in Maine, it does tie into the Charlie Parker series and features a couple of cameo appearances by Parker himself. This thriller had plenty of action and a fair share of supernatural elements in addition to great writing, as always. I think what sets Connolly's books apart and well above the rest is his ability to write characters, the subtle terrifying evil of the titular ones and ...more
Bunga Mawar
3.5 bintang untuk karya John Connolly ini. Saya selalu suka kisah di mana aksi2 berlangsung cepat. Apalagi ada cerita hantunya. Jadi kebayang kalau dibuat filmnya. Membuat saya bernyanyi2 sendiri...

Engkau jagoanku (Betmeeen...)
Engkau idolaku (Betmeeen...)
Aku suka kamu (Betmeeen...)
Kau penumpas kejahatan
dan pembela keadilan
gagah perkasa
(Betmeeen...)

Sayang aku masih kecil
Tapi kau membuat aku
Ingin cepat dewasa
... (lupa)
Dan setelah aku tamat sekolah
Kuingin jadi betmeeen... betmeeen...
betmeeen... b
Ms. Nikki
Bad Men was thoroughly engaging from the first page until the last.
There really weren't very many moments that let up from an unrelenting pace driving us to a final showdown of human vs the supernatural; both equally determined to come out on top.

The villain of this read, Moloch, was steadfast in his goal of obtaining his wife and dishing out his brand of vengeance along the way. I felt that things never really varied and that there was no real conflict put in his path to at least make him stumb
Kimberly
Jul 01, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that I have never read a "bad" or even "mediocre" book by John Connolly, to date. BAD MEN is a stand alone novel (although Charlie Parker does make a couple of cameo appearances). A group of ruthless men are on the hunt for a woman who betrayed her husband, their "leader". Throughout the entire tale is an underlying supernatural story of a massacre that happened on the island centuries before....in fact, the characters brought back to the island now seem to share an uncanny li ...more
Ryan
Jan 12, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy of this book has the quote "With Bad Men there's no chance of indifference."

Unfortunately that's exactly the feeling this one left me with.

This is the only John Connolly book I've read that I can say that of and the first I haven't given at least 4 stars.

I'll no doubt soon return to the brilliant Charlie Parker series but this one seems equally highly rated and to me was underwhelming.
Katie
Aug 18, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
I love John Connolly, but I think I might have to stop reading his books. It shouldn't come as a shock to me every time I crack open the pages of a Connolly book and read something so horrifying that my brain can't process it. 80% of the time I am reading one of his books, my heart is racing and, 100% of the time, all of the lights in my apartment are on.

This book is similar to Connolly's Charlie Parker books (Parker even makes a cameo appearance), and it had the same dark feel and supernatural
Ordinary Dahlia
May 21, 2009 Ordinary Dahlia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baca buku ini sensasinya seperti ini: Suasana yang menipu, tenang tapi mencekam...tenang mencekam...tenang mencekam...oke, mungkin kita bisa nyambi minum jus lemon dengan hiasan payung kecil di gelas dulu...baca komik...tidur siang...waks! kembali suasana menjadi tenang mencekam...tenang mencekam dan DUAARRR!!! BADAAAAAAAAAI...
Pyuuuh...*ngelap keringat* akhirnya!

Dan Review g tetep :

Oh, N O ! ! !

Hahah!

Thx buat penghuni radal atas pinjaman bukunya!
Patrick Gibson
Aug 09, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it it was ok
This is my first Connolly novel. I know he is a popular mystery writer—just look at his wall of books at Borders—but I didn’t know what to expect. To my surprise I found his writing to be articulate and beautifully detailed. I was also surprised at the intense level of violence. Not shocked, mind you, Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite writers, so this has a long way to go before ever reaching ‘shock’ level. It was just the sheer bravura of death and destruction that caught me off guard.

I hav
Rebecca
Dec 26, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Bad Men equals bad plot, bad writing and bad characters.

I really wanted to like this book but, half way through it, I started getting uneasy. The story was confusing, head hopping between dozens of different characters, many of whom were so flat out crazy it wasn't possible to believe that people this sick could walk down a street without sending every dog into complete freak out mode. The paranormal stuff wasn't adding up and made even less as the book progressed.

Six sociopaths, including one c
Emi
Nov 29, 2015 Emi rated it it was amazing
So, I was thinking about having a quiet evening in home, with a book, some tea, and silence. Good and enjoyable silence...
Well, that was the plan. Until sun came down and I get to the last chapters in this book. In that moment, the silence became something creepy. So, so creepy. This book literally made my skin crawl and sent shivers down my spine. The ghosts... John Connolly invokes a trully scary scenario here and, at the same time, he has an unique way to evoke something scary and tender at
Luis A. Vidorreta
Feb 03, 2014 Luis A. Vidorreta rated it liked it
No es Charlie Parker. La novela en sí está bien. Tiene todos los elementos de Connolly y guarda su estilo de escritura. Pero aún le falta algo. Quizás si no conoces a Parker y fuera la primera obra de Connolly que lees, se lleve más puntos. Aún así la he disfrutado.
Bill
May 06, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moloch dreams. Dreams of a slaughter. Dreams of a Sanctuary, that is anything but. A place with a history of violence. A place with a future of violence.

Marianne dreams, as well. Dreams of running. Dreams of being chased by her past. Dreams of escape.

It is all going to come together on the island, where there are forces greater than either of them can imagine that have awakened and are hungry. Hungry for vengeance.

John Connolly does it again with another excellent supernatural thriller. This one
Deanna
Nov 18, 2008 Deanna rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I only made it to page 123 of this book before finally giving up. I just didn't care about the story. I found it rambled on and on about stuff I didn't care about, and my mind would wander while reading so I didn't know what was going on. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not finishing this one.
J.F. Penn
Aug 29, 2013 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers, paranormal
An island with a bloody history that echoes in the present. As violent men come closer to the Sanctuary, supernatural forces start to emerge on the island. A woman with a child, defended by a giant with his own roots in the past. On the edge of horror, I love John Connolly :)
Audrey Dry
Aug 31, 2015 Audrey Dry rated it really liked it
“Bad men” es un libro fuera de la serie principal con personajes únicos e historia conclusiva. La forma en la que Connolly describe las situaciones, las escenas, los entornos y los personajes es muy parecida, sino igual, que su serie principal. El único “pero” que puedo darle a esta novela es que los capítulos se hacen extensos y que dentro de cada capítulo hay demasiados puntos de vistas. Dentro de una escena describe la situación desde uno de los personajes, luego salta a otro personaje descri ...more
Andrew
Mar 23, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I will put my hand up and admit that this was a real page turner for me. I started it yesterday and rapidly was drawn in to the story so much so that I wound up reading it to the very end and I would not stop till I had - and it's been a while since I have felt that way about a book.
Ok the story is quite a simple one - historic tragedy - restless souls - modern day repeat of events - restless souls rise once more. Ok so why the high praise if that is basically it - well I think this book was
Oscar
En el año 1693, en la pequeña isla Santuario, junto a la costa de Maine, unos colonos fueron cruelmente masacrados. Con el transcurrir de los años, esta isla se ha ido repoblando, pasando por una época pacífica. Ahora, trescientos años después de aquellos hechos, la isla volverá a ser asolada por una banda de asesinos que andan tras la pista de una mujer y su hijo pequeño. Aunque tal vez sea la propia isla la que los atrae hacia sí, buscando satisfacción. Y es que las presencias sobrenaturales q ...more
Achmad F Nurghani
Di sebuah penjara. Moloch selalu memimpikan hal yang sama: ia memimpin sekelompok orang menuju sebuah pulau, membantai pemukim di pulau itu. Adegan yang ia mimpikan seolah nyata. Namun, adegan yang ia mimpikan adalah kejadian 300 tahun yang lalu. Adegan itu memang nyata dan menjadi sejarah terkelam yang dimiliki oleh sebuah pulau bernama Dutch, atau orang-orang pulau itu lebih suka menyebutnya Suaka.
Ketika ia dibebaskan dari penjara oleh sekelompok orang jahat, ia memiliki satu obsesi: membalas
Buck Weiss
Dec 31, 2010 Buck Weiss rated it it was amazing
Connonlly is a poet in the body of a damn good crime writer. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I think I'm going to dedicate the first part of 2011 to reading everything of his I can get my hands on.

Hi characters are fleshed out with just the right mix of action and backstory that the whole book feels like an ensemble piece. His "Bad Men" reminded me of the those low-down bastards that makes Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets such an kick in the pants series. Their quick wit
Amanda
Jan 16, 2011 Amanda rated it did not like it
I didn't really care for this book. Something about this present tense style just sets me off. Plus there was just too much mystery enshrouding everything. I feel like each character should slowly unwrap themselves as the book goes along, and the constant enigma thing annoyed me after a while. Sure, their backstories developed, but I had no sense of the characters themselves...only what they came from, which is not the same at all. Plus, I find this theme of disconnectedness disturbing. I feel l ...more
martin
Mar 08, 2010 martin rated it liked it
Connolly's books often inspire very visual images and at times I feel like I have somehow seem a film of the book (or am reading the book of the film). This is one example where he delights in descriptive passages that bring the story alive.

As with some of his other novels, he entwines the supernatural with the unnaturally evil. Calling the chief bad guy Molloch is another of the biblical / devil references he seems to love.

The ending (or most of it) is never much in doubt. In fact it's fairly
Metodi Markov
Feb 16, 2016 Metodi Markov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimy, favorites
Напрегнат психотрилър с добро развитие и пълноценна история. Малко в страни от историите за Чарли Паркър, но Джон Конъли си е майстор!
Scribal
Mar 15, 2015 Scribal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Although I've read most of the Charlie Parker novels, I think this book is my favorite by John Connolly so far. Perhaps because the story is bounded by the island. Perhaps because it's bounded by time. I mean it's a story with a beginning, middle and end. If you've read the Charlie Parker novels you know they all kind of start somewhere else and never quite resolve. If you'd like to sample a stand-alone John Connolly that's less brutal than some others, I recommend this one.
Bobby
Apr 20, 2012 Bobby rated it really liked it
Penultimate evil descends upon a small island off the coast of Maine in the middle of a gale-like snowstorm. There is nowhere to run, nor to hide and to top it off there is even a giant on the island....but he's the good guy!! This is a scary, disturbing, well-written horror story that you probably won't want to read late at night. The chills of evil versus the protective goodness of generations of islanders. This is a good one.
Dorothy
Aug 16, 2007 Dorothy rated it it was ok
The amazon reviews were pretty positive for this and warned of its violence and how it's not for the faint of heart. I didn't think it was all that violent. In fact I thought it would abruptly change scenes when something bad was about to go down and that was frustrating. Not that I want tons of gore but it felt like a cop out. I picked this up for light summer reading and it was that for sure.
Jodi
Jan 26, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars This book is a stand alone, although Charlie Parker does make a brief cameo appearance, set primarily on an island off the coast of Portland. The island has a small community of year long inhabitants. The island has a violent history. Joe Dupree and his family are a part of that history. His father was the main police officer on the island, as Joe is now. Joe's father passed the history of the island on to Joe. Only a few remaining inhabitants understand that history. Marianne Elliott ...more
Sinta Nisfuanna
Oct 26, 2014 Sinta Nisfuanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perpaduan antara mistik dan misteri. Alurnya terasa kalem tapi menghentak (gimana ya jelasinnya?!) Sedikit sama dengan #SekantongTulang, yaitu adanya masa lalu kelam yang membuat sebuah tempat "marah" tapi #OrangOrangJahat memiliki lebih banyak kompleksitas (deuh) tokoh. Intinya rekomendasi untuk penyuka thriller.
Marc Pastor
Jul 04, 2015 Marc Pastor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En la línia de Connolly, un gran relat negre amb tocs de fantaterror. Potser l'única pega és meva: havia cregut que la història transcorria al segle XVII i passa a l'actualitat. Esperava més càrrega de bruixes i fantasmes i sí, n'hi ha, però la història tira per una altra banda.
Cindy
Jun 21, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 1st time i read a book from this writer. "Bad Men" ..

The title first.

- the french title ( mine) talks about the very old colonial people who were murdered in 1693.
The ghosts in this story. They are important in that story => If they weren't there, no actions in here.

- Bad Men (original title): as says Richie are the Moloch and his band ... they are bad men.

or .. i have another idea: Marianne and Moloch (from now) are .. Mmmhh how to say => The current "souls' from the murderer and his
Melissa
Sep 05, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
Reading this book was like reading an exercise in imitating Stephen King,even to the Maine setting. It was okay---diverting enough but certainly could not match King even at his worst.
Horror Aficionados : Bad Men by John Connolly 41 61 May 19, 2014 04:56AM
  • The Hunter: A Detective Takako Otomichi Mystery
  • Bad Things
  • The Dead Letters
  • The Upright Man
  • Testament
  • The Lazarus Prophecy
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • A Matter of Blood (The Dog-Faced Gods, #1)
  • Midwinter of the Spirit (Merrily Watkins, #2)
  • Candlemoth
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Dark Homecoming
  • Storming Heaven (Mark Beamon, #2)
  • In The Moon Of Red Ponies (Billy Bob Holland, #4)
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...

“The child's face is close to her own now, but there is still no detail. It is a blur, a watercolor painting left out in the rain, the shades running, blending into one another. Only the eyes remain clear; black and hungry, jealous of life. ” 4 likes