Start by marking “Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night” as Want to Read:
Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night

Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Sallie Ann Robinson was born and reared on Daufuskie Island, one of the South Carolina Sea Islands well known for their Gullah culture. Although technology and development were slow in coming to Daufuskie, the island is now changing rapidly. With this book, Robinson highlights some of her favorite memories and delicious recipes from life on Daufuskie, where the islanders t ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night

Naima Haviland
Apr 01, 2013 Naima Haviland rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of casual cooking and dining; fans of Southern American culture and American history
Shelves:
I've been reading "Cooking the Gullah Way, Morning, Noon, and Night" by Sallie Ann Robinson as research for my historical paranormal novel, which is set in the Gullah Region and features Gullah characters and a Gullah heroine. Gullah is a distinct African-American culture in the coastal and sea-island region of Lower North Carolina, South Carolina, and Upper Georgia. It has its own history, crafts, and language. This particular cookbook (she has written several) has helped me make the food and m ...more
Aberjhani
Oct 27, 2008 Aberjhani rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All who enjoy cooking and learning about unique cultures.
Recommended to Aberjhani by: I read about it.
Sallie Ann Robinson Cooks for the Mind, Body, and Spirit

Celebrity Chef Sallie Ann Robinson, a native of the famous Sea Island known as Daufuskie Island located just down the Savannah River between the coasts of South Carolina and Georgia, has made guest appearances on numerous cooking shows and been profiled in such publications as the 2005 Old Farmer’s Almanac, Southern Living, and National Geographic. In COOKING THE GULLAH WAY, MORNING, NOON, AND NIGHT, her book of highly appealing regional re
Fenixbird SandS
Dec 05, 2008 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Cooks, Southern-style lovers!
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Poet-I-Am Aberjhani
Found new/used thru Amazon..this & many related books (including the "Gullah New Testament!!" COOKING & SHARING MEALS, BREAKING BREAD TOGETHER ARE CELEBRATED IN MOST CULTURES (WE ARE WEAK ON THIS IN SW USA).....SOME OF THE BEST EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD WITH LOVELY PEOPLES OF OTHER CULTURES I HAVE MET HERE FROM AROUND THE WORLD!! IT IS SAID NOTHING REFLECTS A CULTURE MORE THAN LANGUAGE & ITS CELEBRATIONS...

FEATURES?? Gullah home beliefs & remedies

"...a filling breakfast of the autho
Dawn
Mar 07, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Having had a life long love of Lowcountry, and several significant adults in my childhood who were Gullah, and find the Gullah people to be warm and funny and sharing with their love of food and ways to prepare it, I enjoyed this book and read it cover to cover in one sitting, and then went back and read the recipes as my 'bedtime' reading for almost a week.
Mary Z : )
Jul 04, 2013 Mary Z : ) rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. It was a blend of the author's young life on one of the east coast barrier islands. As a coastal resident, and one who remembers a simpler life growing up, I could really appreciate this book. Tasty looking recipes, though I didn't try any. The home remedies were interesting, too.
ReadHowYouWant
Dec 28, 2009 ReadHowYouWant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple of recipes from this book have been reviewed at www.readhowyouwant.com/blog. The reviewer is a gluten-free eater, so chose recipes that could be made to fit her lifestyle. I like the idea of finding g-free recipes in regular cookbooks! Yum!
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Exzentrius
Exzentrius marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
V.L. Brunskill
V.L. Brunskill marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Odette
Odette rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Dorothy Haynes
Dorothy Haynes marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Jmv
Jmv rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Le Aundre Jackson
Le Aundre Jackson rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Anthrobh
Anthrobh marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Nikhil P. Freeman
Nikhil P. Freeman marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Collette
Collette rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Patricia Barnett
Patricia Barnett marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2012
Brian
Brian added it
Nov 12, 2012
Laticia
Laticia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2012
Vannessa
Vannessa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011
Born on Daufuskie Island, off the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina, Sallie Ann Robinson was among the students taught by Pat Conroy when the famous author stayed for a time on her now famous island. Robinson has grown in her own right into the author of two celebrated cookbooks and an accomplished chef.

Her culinary expertise has helped to preserve the food dishes for which her native island i
More about Sallie Ann Robinson...