Start by marking “There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)” as Want to Read:

There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,311 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Au revoir, Pluto! In this newly revised, bestselling backlist title, beginning readers and budding astronomers are launched on a wild trip to visit the now eight planets in our solar system (per the International Astronomical Union’s 2006 decision to downgrade Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet), along with the Cat in the Hat, Thing One, Thing Two, Dick, and Sally. It’s ...more
Published October 26th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Evan Taylor
Nov 28, 2012 Evan Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: info-science
Do you have a very young son or daughter, who is interested in outer space? Do you have a hard time finding books that explain outer space without being too simple or too complicated, or without simply being a mirage a pictures? Well, you are in because in Tish Rabe’s There is No Place Like Space, children can be taught about outer space, space exploration and the solar system by none other than the Cat in the Hat. In her book, Tish Rabe uses the familiar character of the Cat in the Hat to teach ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The idea of "learn to read, read to learn" does appeal to me. But I'm always wary of famous characters being used after the death of their creator. Traditionalists will not like this series - Thing 1 and Thing 2 look different, and the brother from the The Cat in the Hat actually has a name. The illustrations, of course, look different from what Dr. Seuss would have produced.

But these issues seem pretty minor when the book produced is of reasonable quality, such as this. The rhyme and rhythm so
Lindsey Vera
Sep 15, 2015 Lindsey Vera rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love that I could incorporate this book with a social studies lessons about the solar system. The book gives a brief description about each planet, constellations and the sun. There is even a riddle included to help young students remember the names of the planets. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was because it does not include Pluto as a planet and I know this is constantly being debated.
Becky
Jul 12, 2011 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My 6 year old son is an early-reader, and he read this one on his own (with little help from me). I'm so proud of him!!! What kid doesn't like Dr. Seuss or space, right!? It kept him engaged the whole time, and is brightly illustrated.

I personally am not a fan of the ghostwriter, or any ghostwriter for that matter. Ghostwriting cheapens the true authors legacy. This new series is also not nearly as good as the originals. It still makes for a good read though. I don't think the young one's will
Colton W
Jun 13, 2016 Colton W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I love this book because I am having my own space camp this week.
Michael Adam
Book title: There’s No Place like Space

Writer: Tish Rabe

Synopsis:
There’s No Place like Space is a non-fiction book about the solar system. The book lists each planet in the solar system; describing their appearances. It also talks about the stars, the moon, the sun and space in general.

Review:
There’s No Place like Space is a great non-fiction book that is written in prose and has great illustrations by Aristides Ruiz. This book could be used in key stage one or two either for assisted reading
Melody Wolen
Reading Level: Kindergarten and up
There’s no Place Like Space is written by Tish Rabe and illustrated by Aristides Ruiz. This book is also a picture book, but it is an informational text since it contains a glossary, index and a list for further reading. I chose this book because not only does it build knowledge on my topic of space, but it also rhymes! There’s no Place Like Space is a book from The Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library so The Cat in the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2 give children a h
Leslie
Nov 19, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This is one of those newer Cat In The Hat Books that aren't written by Dr Suess himself but that we enjoy very much anyway. The pictures are wonderful and the writing is in that same sing song rhyming style that we already associate with the Cat. My son went around quoting from the book the rest of the day and enjoyed it very much it seems. I would recommend it for the AVERAGE everyday ordinary 2nd grader.
Angie
Jul 27, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Au revoir, Pluto! In this newly revised, bestselling backlist title, beginning readers and budding astronomers are launched on a wild trip to visit the now eight planets in our solar system (per the International Astronomical Union’s 2006 decision to downgrade Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet), along with the Cat in the Hat, Thing One, Thing Two, Dick, and Sally. It’s a reading adventure that’s out of this world!"

My Review: This was a fun book for Munchkin in his outer space/ ast
Shannon Jacob
Oct 15, 2014 Shannon Jacob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Tish Rabe, A. R. (1999). There's No Place Like Space. New York: Random House Books for Young Readers.

Picture Book Soak

I could tell the book would be exciting and interesting just by looking at the cover and I knew it would be a great addition to my classroom to teach students about the solar system. Dr. Seuss books are always fun, the rhymes make it easier for students to remember the content and the pictures are also great! The book discusses the planets, constellations, stars, astronauts and m
Diane
May 27, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
I liked this one much more than the one about maps: There's a Map on my Lap!
This one has big words and advanced concepts, but not so many that interest wanes. My 4 year old son has asked to read this one several times, in contrast to the map one. However, we skip the page with the "helpful" sentence to remember the names of the planets in the right order. Surely the author could have come up with a better line?!? Too long, too weird, too complicated. I think my son finds it easier to just rememb
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, science
Wait, how many planets are there? Personally, I think Pluto should still count.
Chadwick
Oct 03, 2014 Chadwick rated it did not like it
This thing is shit. The Cat in the Hat, one of the great anarchic figures of childrens' literature is reduced to a blandly avuncular uncle, mouthing anemic light science in verse form. Horrible verse, with just the vaguest scent of effort put in to make it Seussian. Ruiz, the artist, has the basic characters down, but they are stiff in a way that the cartilige-framed creations of Seuss never were. There is a flop sweat miasma of desperation emanating from each phoned-in page. Those responsible s ...more
Jenn Swanson
Sep 30, 2015 Jenn Swanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toddler-books
This book explains space in simplest terms to a child. It is entertaining and rhymes and makes sense. However, I am still pissed off that Pluto cannot join in the fun cause "it is not a planet." Still think that is bullshit. My daughter enjoyed this book but could not grasp what Thing 1 and Thing 2 were. Would recommend to any child or parent of a child that likes to point out the moon and the stars in the sky.
Hannah
Feb 07, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book and the concept that it would teach to children. It has the Cat in the Hat take children on an adventure to discover the solar system and teaches helpful ways for a child to remember the planets and constellations. While teaching about space it also rhymes so it is a great memory aide for students who can remember things through rhyming.
Ty O'Brien
Mar 12, 2015 Ty O'Brien rated it really liked it
** SPOILERS ***

My favourite part is when they meet the sun because the sun gave them his autograph! I have no least favourite part because in Cat and the Hat books and TV shows there aren't any sad parts.

My favourite character is the Fish because he is funny, he says funny things.
Gianina
This is a good learning tool to teach about the planets (well maybe an updated version since this one had Pluto haha). I guess I just don't love the idea of using a famous author after they are dead to create a product that resembles their work as it did not feel authentic.
Emmaus Public  Library
A revised edition that does not include Pluto, now that's it's been downgraded.

It rhymes. It's go the information that you need for solar system studies. It's not the best of all possible books following in the footsteps of Ted Geisel.

Serviceable.
Danielle Truitt
Dec 01, 2015 Danielle Truitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
There’s Know Place Like Space is apart of the Cat in the Hat Learning Library series. The story begins with The Cat in the Hat, hoping on a space ship and taking Dick and Sally on a fun trip around the Solar System. There's No Place Like Space covers all the planets in our Solar System, the moon, and touches on the constellations. The information on the planets is brief, and accurate. The rhyming and fun poems puts the complex information into language that is kid friendly and memorable.
I use t
Candace Kovar
Feb 23, 2015 Candace Kovar rated it really liked it
I really like this book about the universe. It was great to teach young children about space, planets, constellations, sun, and moon.

Activity to do with class would be talk about space.

Would defiantly use this book in my classroom.
Debbie
Dec 20, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
I've been on the wait list at the library for the longest time and was excited when I found this at the latest Scholastic Warehouse sale. It was one of the books I gave my daughter as a gift this morning and she couldn't wait to read it at bed time tonight. She loved all the other Cat in the Hat books we have read so far so I had a feeling she would enjoy this one. For the most part it was the same old information about each planet as the rest of the books we have read but the rhyming was nicely ...more
Brittany
Aug 20, 2015 Brittany rated it liked it
This was cute but very basic. It has the usual Dr Seuss rhyme and whimsical illustrations, but very light on actually scientific facts. Also, it was printed in 1999 so Pluto is still listed as a planet. My almost 3 year old liked it.
Debbie
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The science is great, and there's a glossary, index, and "further reading" section. But the rhyming scheme is very, very strained much of the time.
Stacy
Apr 23, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is a great informative book for any lover of space and Dr. Seuss. Like other the cat in the hat knows a lot about books this book is a fun way for children to learn about space and the solar system.
Elizabeth Rudolph
Feb 23, 2016 Elizabeth Rudolph rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a part of a reading class for teacher education. I can see just about any child loving this book to learn about the solar system.
Theresa
Jan 30, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System
by Tish Rabe
a tour between the plantes and learning to change your knowledge about it.
Dee-Ann
Dec 23, 2014 Dee-Ann rated it it was amazing
This is a coll variation or addition to the Cat in the Hat series. It is a fun and interesting way to learn about the planets in our solar system.
Joy Lane
AR level 3.1 A good way to introduce the solar system and astronomy
It has a glossary in the back
Nov 19, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Love this book! Great to use as an introduction to the solar system.
La-Shanda
May 11, 2015 La-Shanda rated it really liked it
Dr. Seuss books are wonderful for all readers (reluctant and avid).
  • Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • The Moon Book
  • Great Day for Up
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?