Start by marking “Acting: The First Six Lessons” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Acting: The First Six ...

Richard Boleslavsky

Acting: The First Six Lessons

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This classic work on acting is one of the very few that stands beside Stanislavsky as a must-have for all acting students and professionals. Richard Boleslavsky's Acting: The First Six Lessons is a treasure-box of wise observation about the art of acting, all wrapped up in six charming dialogues between a teacher and a student. Generations of actors have been enriched by B ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Routledge (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Acting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acting

Huda Aweys
It was a nice book! :) And smooth .. I think I really benefited from the book as an actress ... sometime .. mmmmmm .. I think that this book made me realize a lot about the art of acting ...
استفدت من الكتاب دا كممثة في مرحلة ما .. :)
هوه في العموم كتاب شائق وسلس قراءته كانت ممتعه فعلا :)
Alejandra Bernal
I absolutely adored it. It is written beautifully, clearly stating each lesson in dialogue form. It is of great help for actors, directors and public alike, and shows the philosophical view of Boleslavsky's life in the theatre. For me, as an actress, it allowed me to further understand my relationship with the stage, and reshape the way I work. They are certainly one of the most straight-forward and valuable lessons on acting I have ever had. I hoped, however, for a longer text... I didn't want ...more
Allegra

I had a smile on my face all the way through. Everything about it is so beautiful and real. My teacher gave it to us as a textbook but to me it is a story. I don't know how great of a read it would be for someone who has no interest in theater, but I'm sure that everyone can identify with something in this book. It gave me a new view of life.
Katherine
I was assigned this text in my introductory Drama 100 class. This book sells itself as a manual on acting, but more than that, it's a work of fiction; even more than that, it's a manual on life.

Acting is set up in the format of a play; dialogue, stage directions and all. It has two engaging characters: the Creature and Boleslavsky himself. The bits of advice he gives to the Creature are essentially the "lessons" of the book. This is a fast read, but to remember what the lessons are, I would reco
Justin
While remarkably insightful into the process of becoming a dedicated actor, this play-styled acting guide takes the actor's inspiration for granted. I want to really feel drawn into acting, not just told, "See me after you take up two years of physical and vocal training." What discouraging bullshit! True but stupid, especially since I take words from a master literally and without my own spin. Well not anymore. I believe I can start developing myself as an actor even while I am working on getti ...more
Elizabeth Ellen
Published nearly 100 years ago, this is another basic text in the foundation of Method Acting. Using the old-fashioned technique of a dialogue between teacher and student, six "lessons" are offered revealing the techniques of this psychologically-based acting technique.

Reading as a writer, I found great value particularly in the subjects of character-building, what to look for when observing, searching great works of art for clues about mannerisms, posture, etc. Developing skills of identifying
Mary
AMAZING!!! This text is written in dialogue format and I can't imagine it written any other way. Boleslavsky imparts an incredible amount of information with so little waste; it's a beautiful reading experience. From an acting standpoint, he addresses and gets to the very core of the foundations that one needs in order to do the job with total honesty. There is humor, pathos, and beauty and I feel very fortunate to have been assigned this book. I will read it many times over and I recommend it f ...more
Anushka
Oct 24, 2007 Anushka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Awesome book that covers the basics of acting but also skills that apply to experiencing life. Best of all, it is a marvelously quick and easy read (finished in one read in a couple of hours). It's written as a story of interactions between a teacher and student. The simple exercises described in the chapters on concentration, observation and memory of emotion are great in honing in on those skills and improving a person's capacity of experiencing the world (which is what talent in acting is abo ...more
Nathan Inzerillo
I've read this book multiple times since my first reading in my acting class back in college and I always seem to get something new with each successive reading. It's the kind of book where different parts seem to take on greater importance depending on where you are in your acting journey. I recommend this book to every actor not only as a unique quidebook but also as a source of inspiration.
Kaethe
If you want to be an actor, you need to read this.
Andrew Pish
Good bock with very far-reaching acting technique concepts. It definitely extends the scope of the craft of an acting technique.
Victor McGuire
This is a excellent book on Acting. the original was written in 1939 or something like that.. I read this my second year in collage in 1975. It is a book on six different lessons with a student/professor. Every theatre student should read it!!
Gena Lott
The only way to learn acting is to get on the stage, but this classic instruction manual for anyone interested in theatre is a great book to firm up those theories that the professor tells you are essential for good acting.
Drea Kreth
Very abstract, he is supposed to be the acting god but, if you already have some acting classes and know how behind you this is a waste of money.
Sammie
Jun 20, 2012 Sammie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: actors
Shelves: acting
I found this book very helpful! It outlines six techniques that can help improve the quality of your acting. It's written in the form of a conversation which makes it an easy read. An absolute must for actors.
Emily Giuffre
A must read for every actor and director. Should be a requirement for every acting student. I won't waste anymore of your time with my review. Just friggin' read the book!
Monica
a quick read that totally pulled me in. although it definitely made me want to rush back to the stage, it has refreshed my perspective of life outside the theatre walls as well.
Jennifer Pierce
My large format photography teacher decided to make us read this and relate all the lessons in acting to photography. I really wouldn't have read the book otherwise.
Jodi Skeris
Mar 13, 2007 Jodi Skeris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I read this book way before I started doing any theater for real. Such a great and interesting read. Really well written and keeps you invested. Very smart book.
Brigitte
A book I will be rereading and referencing many many times throughout my life.

Chock-full of knowledge and important lessons, and entertaining to boot.
Dragos
One of the best books i've read in the past years. It makes theoretical issues so easy to understand. And it's short, well written and funny.
N.A. Ratnayake
Brilliant. This will take me several reads to absorb however.
Ritabhari Chakraborty
The best book on acting 1 can have.
Sriram Raghavan
Sriram Raghavan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Logan
Logan added it
Apr 22, 2015
Heather Gilliland
Heather Gilliland marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • Acting for the Camera: Revised Edition
  • Actions: The Actors' Thesaurus
  • The Actor and the Target: New Edition
  • A Dream of Passion: The Development of the Method
Acting Acting: The First Six Lessons: Documents from the American Laboratory Theatre Acting: The First Six Lessons: Documents from the American Laboratory Theatre American Locomotives - A Pictorial Record of Steam Power, 1900-1950