Start by marking “Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!” as Want to Read:
Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!

Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!

Artfully extracted and adapted almost entirely from Ted Geisel's work, this is a must for all expectant parents - and introduction to the wonderful world of Dr. Suess for their adorable baby-to-be. Exciting new discoveries are being made all the time about how much learning takes place while a baby is still in its mother's womb, and Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! makes th ...more
Published November 25th 1997 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!

Erin
Jul 26, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud every night when I was pregnant. My boys were born prematurely and were in the NICU. I went into their room and read this book to them the day they were born. Both boys' heart rates increased when they heard and recognized my voice.

I would recommend this book to any pregnant woman. I couldn't make it through without crying the first few times I read it because it's just so touching.
Harvey
Mar 03, 2014 Harvey rated it really liked it
A fantastic gift: an occasion to read to my daughter before she is here. Pregaming a bit with Seuss style rhymes so she can learn my voice. Anticipatory fun!
Dan
Jan 18, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
First book read with mommy and the baby!
Julie
Oct 22, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's actually quite cute in the way it includes so many famous Seuss book characters. I think it would make a great baby shower gift.
Jan 10, 2017 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Kind of forgot how great Seuss is. This is really cute and lovely and so fun to read aloud. Will do that again, I'm sure!
Shadi
Jan 08, 2017 Shadi rated it it was amazing
masterful, love the way the words rhyme and flow.
Ericka
Aug 06, 2008 Ericka added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I have recently spent a lot of time thinking about my place in the world, I bought that book when I was pregnant with my now 8 year old. It was written by a woman that did it in the style of the wonderful, former Dr. Seuss: My children mean the world to me, and "I am someone's child", so the principles apply. You will be greeted with relish and enthusiasm, you are beloved, etc. Each of my siblings and myself were met in this world by a lovely earthly family that wants only the best for us. All o ...more
Peter Broughton
Oct 24, 2013 Peter Broughton rated it really liked it
The first book I bought for my son (at the time, son to be)

I'm a fan of Dr Seuss, which is unusual for an British person who was never read a single one of his story's in my childhood. I like them because of their fun rhymes but also as there's usually a little more to them than meets the eye.

This is written in the style of Dr Seuss as both a tribute and homage. It's aimed at expectant parents to read to their unborn babies. I read it to my son a few times before he was born. I'd love to say it
Angie
Sep 17, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: Artfully extracted and adapted almost entirely from Ted Geisel's work, this is a must for all expectant parents - and introduction to the wonderful world of Dr. Suess for their adorable baby-to-be. Exciting new discoveries are being made all the time about how much learning takes place while a baby is still in its mother's womb, and Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! makes the perfect welcome! It's never too early to start them on a rich and healthy regimen of good ol' Dr. Seuss.

My Review
Rich Mainville Jr.
Sep 08, 2015 Rich Mainville Jr. rated it really liked it
Great book to read to a child. Very fun and descriptive. I read this to my unborn son, and my wife the other night. This is a book that can be read to many ages - from unborn through toddler, and young child. The illustrations are great, and as always there are tongue twisters for the reader because of the made up imaginative things that come from the author's mind. This book pulls in all the Seuss greats, from the Cat in the Hat to the Grinch, and many others. I enjoyed reading it, and will pro ...more
Khazanah
May 07, 2014 Khazanah rated it it was amazing
I just bought this book now that I'm pregnant and want to have a collection of children's books. This is "A book to Be Read in Utero". According to research when babies are read to in utero they are more active and seem to calm down after being read to, they also found this same response after delivery. It's a cute book and I've only read it once through, out loud of course, and it almost made me cry. I love Dr. Seuss.
Mr. John
Jan 31, 2014 Mr. John rated it really liked it
Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! is such an awesome book. It's a great motivation for children to be all that they can be, read as much as you can and learn as much as you can. See life as an open book, in which you have the choice to write whatever you want. And, with hard work and structure, you can achieve anything. That's not saying that you will not go through barriers, but if you keep a positive outlook, you will achieve big things.
Matthew
Oct 25, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my three kids while in my wife's stomach once I found out that they were developing their hearing. I thought it was a great way to introduce wonderful Dr. Seuss characters, keep the style of writing of Dr. Seuss and has a great rhythm to it. This book made me cry when I read it to my first child. I also found myself trying to master the words so I would not make a single mistake while reading out loud to my wife's belly.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I wasn't a huge Dr Seuss fan as a child - not only the grinch, but also the Cat in the Hat were scary to me!

So I didn't really get into this book while X-man was in utero. But now that I'm getting into Seuss, understanding the rhyme and getting the references to other Seuss books, I expect that this will become a favourite if/when any siblings come along.
Melissa Sodano
Dr. Seuss was fascinated by the fact that unborn babies can not only hear in utero, but also respond to what they hear. Tish Rabe created this book based on Dr. Seuss's characters, using his rhythmic approach to create a fun and cute book to read to your baby before he or she is born. I love this idea!
Suzanne
Jul 17, 2007 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: moms with babies in utero
This book is created to read to read to your baby while in utero. It is a really cute book, by the makers of Dr. Seuss books, in that same style, explaining what the baby has to look forward to in all the adventures of the Dr. Seuss books.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2007 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pregnant women
Shelves: parenting
This is a sweet little book for pregnant mothers to read to their child in utero. It tells of all the things the baby will get to do when it arrives. It ends with "we can't wait to meet you." Full of hormones, I got a little misty-eyed.
Heather
Mar 09, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents-to-be
I have always been a HUGE Dr. Seuss fan, so when I saw this book (intended to be read to baby while still growing in utero), I had to buy it. I love the rhythm and rhyme of all the books...
Jim & I read this to "Peanut" every once in a while...and I tear-up at the end every time!
Ellias
Apr 23, 2012 Ellias rated it liked it
Tanta Betty gave Mommy and Daddy this book to read to me before I came out. I kicked, so I guess it was good. It was mainly a list of all the great Dr. Seuss books I have to look forward to out in the world.
Christina Monroe
Although this book can fit into several different shelves, it lacks versatility because it is written for unborn children. I would only use this book in the classroom to help children prepare for their new siblings- maybe to promote self-awareness too.
Myisha
Apr 28, 2008 Myisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: expecting parents
Shelves: children
Each night we read this to my daughter in utero and she kicked almost everytime. And when she was an infant, sometimes I would recite it to her when she was fussy and it would calm her down. Quick and fun way to interact with your little miracle.
Tracy
Jul 05, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I would read this book to my son by talking into a small microphone with mini speakers on my very pregnant belly. It is a very cute book!
Katie Beck
Jun 20, 2010 Katie Beck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, dr-seuss
I really enjoyed reading this book! Although it is not a book I will probably use in my furture classroom I believe that it is a great book to read to your baby while you are pregnant.
Sharon
Feb 17, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Dr. Suess books. Great book gift to share with expectant and young mothers. Oh baby, there's nothing you can 't do and no place you can't go
Linsey
Jun 07, 2008 Linsey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any expectant mom
Recommended to Linsey by: Amy Bright
This one was a gift to me when I was expecting my first. It's a fun one that she still likes to read occasionally.
Robyn
Feb 18, 2008 Robyn rated it really liked it
Tyler read this to Lincoln everyday during the last two months I was pregnant. We loved our little bedtime story and we think Lincoln liked it too.
Elisabeth
May 19, 2008 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
This is really a cute book. My sister got it while she was pregnant and asked me to read it to her unborn child. It made me cry, it was so sweet and tender.
Brooke
Jul 16, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
I read this to Lilith during her last 3 months in utero and the first few weeks after she was born. This must be where she gets her weirdness from (certainly not me).
Kaylee
Jun 10, 2015 Kaylee rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-ish-books
It's just a long list of all the doctor Seuss characters. I had no interest in the story until the last two pages. Was disappointing.
Chelsea C
May 20, 2016 Chelsea C rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, 2016
a Gift from me to my future nephew who will be born in a day or two. Just kidding, he will be here in June, which still seems soon!
  • Oh, Baby! Go, Baby!
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • That's Not My Teddy
  • What Makes A Rainbow (Magic Ribbon Books)
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes