Start by marking “The Emperor's Edge Collection (The Emperor's Edge, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Edge Collection (The Emperor's Edge, #1-3)

The Emperor's Edge Collection (The Emperor's Edge #1-3)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
For those who enjoy heroic fantasy, steampunk, and heroes who are just as likely to battle with words as with swords, the first three Emperor’s Edge novels are now available in one collection.

Follow enforcer-turned-outlaw Amaranthe Lokdon, the infamous assassin Sicarius, and their team of aspiring heroes as they attempt to clear their names by thwarting evils aimed at the
Published April 28th 2012

Fa Mulan
CAUTION: This book may cause loss of responsibilities, antisocial characteristics, eye strain, decreased weight, and bed sores.

Have you ever read a book and suddenly stopped sleeping, eating, moving....practically stopped doing everything except for the occasional i-have-to-pee-run. (Having to go to the bathroom was never more annoying than when I was reading this book.) This book sucks you in and makes you forget that you have a life outside the Empire. These books have it all. Action, Adventur
Jessie
Sep 04, 2014 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2014
Okaaaaaaaaaay. Here we go. I am actually going to write a review for 7 of the books in this series because I refuse to write an individual one each time I finish. There are 8 books and many half novels involved, it's just not going to happen. I'm on 8 now.

So we see that I have given this an "I really liked this" and I'm sitting here wondering why, because all I can think about are all the little niggly things that annoyed me, or the big niggly things that infuriated me.

The whole series is abou
Greg Kirby
Apr 08, 2015 Greg Kirby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
In my quest to read good fiction and spend almost no money on it, I found this collection on sale for $.99 and thought, "why not?"
I had already read the first book, "The Emperor's Edge", and liked it.
What I discovered was that while the first book was good, each successive book got better and better. This is a unique and believable fantasy world with a well-thought out plot, a strong heroine, and a cast of characters that really 'grow on you'.
The "Emperor's Edge" series is High Fantasy, with a f
Christine Hayes
Mar 19, 2014 Christine Hayes rated it it was amazing
I already had the first two books read,but, for 99 cents I couldn't pass it up. The third book picks up while most of the team is on vacation. I am glad I bought and definetly want to finish the series.
Tanya
Feb 03, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down

Well written and imaginative with great character development and exciting adventure that keeps you on the edge of your seat and up past bed time. I'll be reading the whole series.
Winde Matthews
May 14, 2015 Winde Matthews rated it it was amazing
Awesome

I purchased the trilogy bundle. I have been unable to put this down unless I absolutely had too. It is very well written and it makes you feel as though you are right there with the characters
Samantha
Apr 14, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it

You know when sometimes you feel like reading something a little different? Something that has your favourite elements but does not constantly make you angsty? You know, simply a cleverly laid out adventure which a bunch of solid characters and no bull...? That is what The Emperor's edge was like for me. The series had me thoroughly entertained till the end, and that is no easy feat when it spans a full 7 books! Set in a world with strong steampunk elements and a dash of scifi, it is bound to
Nov 15, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Wonderful for any one that enjoys being drawn in.

This book is so very amazing. I love to read but more then anything I want to be drawn into a book. This does just that, thank you very much Mrs. Lindsay for that.
Tara Skipper
Oct 25, 2016 Tara Skipper rated it really liked it
I like stars not words

So 4, would be 5 but didn't realize the are 6 more. Otherwise I would have bought the 9 pack
Mary
Oct 15, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
5 * all the way!

Well thought out storyline - suitable for all ages. I love finding a new author - I'm off to buy book 4.
radish
Jul 23, 2015 radish rated it it was amazing
I haven't had this much fun in awhile. Which may comment more on my state of being rather than this series, though I'd really prefer it to be the latter. I may go back and review the individual books, but since I'm both lazy and read them as an omnibus, that is unlikely to occur.

Problems:
-2D character development, and in some cases almost no character development, though I hear this is rectified in the next few books
-convenient spells of unconsciousness to gloss over tricky plots (though not as
Demelza Carlton
"Lindsay Buroker is awesome," I was told, and then I spotted three of her books in a box set for next to nothing. So this sat on my Kindle for a while, lonely and ignored, until it came to the top of my TBR list...that was about a fortnight ago.

Why'd it take me so long to write a review? Um...because there are 8 books in the series, plus some incidental novellas and short stories, and all the books are a decent length and...all right, Lindsay Buroker IS a legend and I've been binge reading the
William
Oct 16, 2013 William rated it really liked it
Lindsay Buroker nails the fun and excitement departments of fantasy. Her characters are as real as one could hope for and more interesting than you should expect, indie author or not. This series is great and the fact that I paid .99¢ would be criminal if the author hasn't set the price herself. She'll reap the rewards from me at least. I'm buying the rest of the series as soon as I finish another series I'm reading.

So, why not 5 stars? Because, I'm not likely to read any of these books again an
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
Aug 04, 2016 Connie Fogg-Bouchard rated it it was amazing
when good is bad and bad is better

Amaranthe is an excellent enforcer... ex-enforcer. Sicarius is the most dangerous assassin in Turgonia. through no doing of her own, Amaranthe is forced to work with the man was sent to kill in order to save her life and the life of the emperor. with the aid of several other disenfranchised members of the populace, Amaranthe sets out on an adventure to save her empire and herself.

what a fun series! it has a great deal of humor, a pinch of sword play, a dash of m
Cyd O
Mar 15, 2015 Cyd O rated it it was amazing
Lindsay takes us on a raucous ride with Amaranthe and her bumbling, rag-tag team of do-gooders. Though reluctant to follow Amaranthe into some of her crazy schemes, ok, MOST of her crazy schemes, the team manages to bond to one another while solving the Empire's problems.

Wizards and magic (which don't exist, by the way), magically created creatures, monsters, high-tech doo-hickies, and even evil school teachers make Amaranthe's job more difficult along the way.

This entire series had me turning
Philip McClimon
Feb 21, 2015 Philip McClimon rated it it was amazing
The "A" Team meets The Princess Bride!

This book was a real find. I think I got it as a kindle deal sometime ago, and it sat on my to read list for awhile. Finally, I gave it a chance. It is really good. It is like The "A" Team in that there is a band of characters wrongly charged and trying to clear their name, and taking on adventures to further that goal. It is like The Princess Bride in that the characters are completely endearing and fun. I am not saying there are as many quotable line as in
MaryLynn Kebort
Jan 01, 2016 MaryLynn Kebort rated it it was amazing
The Emperors Edge Collection 1-3 was very interesting with unexpected adventures

The Emperor Edge had so many twists and turns it kept me interested to see the next adventure the little group of do gooders were going to get tangled up in. The Emperors Edge has so many activities happening at the same time it made interesting reading. I believe teenagers through adults would enjoy this collection.
Tracy Sanzo
I started with this 3 book collection and became hooked. I am now reading book 6 part 2 (#7). I think it was originally supposed to conclude the series, and I was sad to be reaching the end, but it looks like more books have been added not only to the end of the story, but .5 versions in between those I've read, so I'm happy to say I can stay immersed in this terrific cast of characters a while longer.
Li
I abandoned the first book a while back, but picked up the omnibus version based on positive reviews to see if it was a case of “right book, wrong mood”. It’s a story that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Two of the main characters sounded a bit too alike and perhaps there’s too much snarkiness for me, but the raw story is there. So - fun romps with some humour, but there's not enough emotional depth for me to want to carry on with the series right now.
Michael H
Jun 12, 2015 Michael H rated it liked it
The A Team

When I was about halfway threw the first book, I realised that the story reminded me of something, and then it hit me at the end The A Team. A group of mercenaries trying to be exonerated fit crimes they didn't comment. The ending line almost mirrored the a team's into.
All in all though ask the books are a good read, a but dry at times and a little predictable, but there was enough witty one liners and creativity to keep me interested.
Erin
Apr 28, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
A must read

This is a great series! The characters are well-developed. The plot is not predictable. Each book has it's own arc, so I never felt cheated at the end--like the cliff-hanger was forcing me to read the next book--I want to read the next book & I don't even resent that there are more than three books because the characters are growing & changing as the books progress & the plots stay strong.
Jemima Pett
Jun 18, 2015 Jemima Pett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk, ya, adult
Finished the first book in this collection on 7th February, and will reviewed it on my blog. Follow me to get blog updates on Goodreads.
The second book in the collection is also finished and reviewed on the Dark Currents Goodreads entry.
Review of the third book will be on my blog in July. Great ending - roll on the fourth in the series!
Cathy
May 20, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely super read. I got hooked with the first book in the series and just had to find out what happened next. And then I discovered she had other series! WOOHOO. Just finished the Dragon Blood series and it was another group of fabulous stories with great characters. I highly recommend these.
Dee1and Only
Jun 27, 2015 Dee1and Only rated it it was amazing
I love a good heroine...

I always love a good female role but this work is absolutely fantastic. I particularly appricate the fact that the lead is not a flake, promiscuous, or any of the other ugly things women are sometimes portrayed as. She e is strong, and a leader by wits- LOVED IT!
Natasha Kelly
Jan 08, 2016 Natasha Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommend

Really enjoyed these books. The sense of humour and rapport between the characters helped to bring them to life. Nice to have a good strong female lead. I liked the whole fantasy/sci-fi/steam-punk crossover of the setting. Looking forward to reading the next instalment of the collection. Will definitely try other books by this author..
John Harvey
Jul 16, 2016 John Harvey rated it it was amazing
The best steampunk book I have read

A 'history' of a civilisation with twists and turns as the heroes strive to prove their support for the young ruler against the 'sea of troubles against him' let murder and mayhem ensue.
Carole
Oct 10, 2015 Carole rated it it was amazing
Currently on book 3 and really happy to learn I have at least 5 more to read. Clever plots (mostly), interesting, likeable characters, with a strong female lead. Funny and entertaining without trying too hard - surprised how hooked I've become....
Long
Sep 01, 2015 Long rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read

The books have a slow but enjoyable pace. The line between science and magic is very blurred, which makes the settings both foreign yet familiar. I'm looking forward to the next few books after the first three.
Pam Resner
Aug 21, 2015 Pam Resner rated it it was amazing
A very fun read

This book has very unique and fun characters. They are very realistic and easy to relate to. The author is able to create fun and intriguing plot twists. It's a great book!
  • The Rise of the Red Shadow (The Book of Deacon, #0.5)
  • Reality Hack
  • High-Opp
  • Hopscotch
  • Iron Mike: A boy. A dog. The end of the world.
  • Unicorn Western: Full Saga
  • A Midsummer Night's Steampunk
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • 1/2986 (1/2986 #1)
  • Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5)
  • Awakening (The Twins Of Saranthium, #1)
  • Sixth Cycle
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Iron William and the Carpenter's Tears
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
  • The Camelot Papers
  • The Stars in Shroud
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker...

The Emperor's Edge (9 books)
  • The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)
  • Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
  • Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7)
  • Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8)
  • Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9)

“Only Sicarius would bring all his weapons to the smooching corner of the Imperial Gardens.” 2 likes
“Somehow she could not see Sicarius cuddling to share body heat. He would probably suggest pushups to stay warm.” 1 likes