Start by marking “Snake” as Want to Read:
Snake

Snake (Five Ancestors #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,605 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Shedding his monk's robe like an old skin, Seh - the Snake - sets out to find his father, a man who trades in secrets. But his loyalty is tested with the arrival of a mysterious woman whose name means Cobra.
Unknown Binding
Published May 18th 2006 by Not Avail (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Snake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snake

Darth J
Sep 10, 2014 Darth J marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
I set this one aside a while ago when more exciting books caught my fancy. The thing is that this was the third book in a series with very little forward momentum. The timeline of each book follows one of the children and it interweaves throughout each of their stories. While I initially thought that was a good idea, I now find it tedious. I tried to pick this one up again but I had lost interest. Sorry guys, I gave up on this book and series because it no longer held my attention.
Jeff Stone
Mar 31, 2015 Jeff Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Um, I wrote it. :-)
Jeff
Jan 19, 2017 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My nine year old daughter and I continue to devour this series. The books are short and very well done. The different perspectives from the heroes keeps the story fresh and exciting as the overall story moves along. We can't wait to start the next one in the series.
Novia Indaryani
Oct 27, 2013 Novia Indaryani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Novia by: Rifda
Amy
Seh, the main character in this, the third book, in The Five Ancestors series was certainly a more believable Kung Fu master than his fellow monks, Fu and Malao. Seh's actions were more cautious, methodical, and deliberate than Fu's or Malao's, and I thought that this character anchored the story (to this point) and kept it from floating off into silliness with Malao or into broody cantankerousness with Fu.

Snake also puts to rest another of my complaints about the series up to this point: it is
Rifda
Oct 11, 2013 Rifda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Kan. Now, I'm craving for Crane! Setelah ayah Malao dan ibu Seh, sepertinya ibunya Hok juga misterius :'(

-----EDIT-----

Ini adalah kisah yang terjadi pada sekitar tahun 1650 M di Provinsi Henan, Cina. Kisah tentang sebuah kuil shaolin yang tersembunyi, bernama "Kuil Changzen" ---artinya: Kebenaran Tersembunyi. Di dalam kuil itu, terdapat 100 biksu, 5 biksu muda, dan seorang Mahaguru.

Ini adalah cerita tentang 5 biksu muda yang sudah menjadi master shaolin. Namanya Long, Seh, Hok, Fu, dan Malao. Ke
Hobby
Books “LIMA LELUHUR 3 - ULAR”
Judul Asli : THE FIVE ANCESTORS 3 - SNAKE
Desain sampul : Fahmi Ilmansyah
Ilustrasi Isi : Malia Hartati
Cetakan I : Oktober 2013 ; 278 hlm ; ISBN 978-602-9498-30-1
Rate : 3.5 of 5

Dalam dua kisah sebelumnya, pembaca diajak menelusur
Jaylen Reese
Mar 17, 2014 Jaylen Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snake is the 3rd book is the exciting series "Five Ancestors", by Jeff Stone. After the temple is attack Seh like his other brothers is out there by himself. Instead of retracing his past like his brother, Seh is looking to gather information. He comes across many people int his book with information that he needs. In this book is reunited with his brother Malo and they continue the journey together.

As the other book Monkey, this book was very eventful. I love how not to far into the story how
Ira Book Lover
Waahh, Seh ini ular banget yak. Dingin, pendiam dan selalu waspada. Terlalu waspada mah kalau saya bilang. Tapi keren eh, kemampuan Seh untuk menyembunyikan diri sangat mudah. Berguna sekali kalau Seh ingin mengetahui percakapan rahasia yang sering terjadi di dunia kungfu.

Cerita pelarian Seh lebih banyak aksi kungfunya. Keren. Bikin iri. Saya jadi pengen bisa bela diri juga. Terutama yang seperti Seh, bisa membuat dirinya tidak terdeteksi. Jadi bisa menguping, hahhah.

Bersama Seh, rahasia yang d
Aelvana
Dec 23, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike his brothers Fu and Malao, Seh (the "snake") is much more detached and logical. His first thoughts upon the temple's destruction are how he can turn the situation to his advantage. And so begins a curious journey through a bandit's lair and the perils of family. As Ying and his devastating qiangs continue to reshape the world, can the boys continue to survive?

After two impulsive main characters, Seh was a nice change. He's solitary, preferring nature to people, and he's got a few tricks o
Mirrani
Jan 31, 2013 Mirrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not certain how I feel about this book now that I have finished it.

In the beginning I found myself feeling bombarded with information, either as a rehashing of what had happened in previous books or as a way of hurrying along to the next part of the plot. I felt almost as if I was being pushed along on this maddening experience without getting much chance to breathe. Once we reached an actual plot point for the Snake character, however, things calmed down a little and I settled into reading
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way all of the book in The Five Ancestors series intertwine. Things happen in Tiger that are explained in Monkey. Then things happen in Monkey that are explained in Snake. I really enjoy all of the different character and the plethora of fighting styles. Now that the first three characters are back together again, I have hope that they will find their other two brothers and be able to defeat Ying and his thirst for knowledge about the fighting style of the dragon.

Jeff Stone has create
Paula Howard
Apr 23, 2014 Paula Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snake is the 3rd installment in The Five Ancestors series. After the destruction of their Temple, Cangzhen, the young warrior monks split up to reach the next Temple. In Snake we see the reuniting of Seh (snake), Fu (Tiger), Malao (Monkey) and eventually Hok (crane). The only brother missing is Ying, who is now their enemy for killing their Grandmaster.

Seh has found his father, Mong, a bandit. The young monks link up with Mong to defeat their common enemy Ying and the emperor. It is also brought
Alexa Ayana
Sep 25, 2014 Alexa Ayana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm di buku Seh yang penuh intrik ini, kita akan banyak mendapat fakta baru dan jawaban dari siapa sebenarnya keluarga masing-masing dari Seh dan saudara-saudara seperguruannya.

Selain itu konflik dari kisah ini juga akan semakin mendalam dengan munculnya beberapa twist mengejutkan. Sisi action yang seru tetap memuaskan. Dan ada hal kecil yang menarik dari tiap buku yang diceritakan dgn POv3 serba tahu dari masing-masing pribadi di judul buku. Petualangan Seh menegaskan kelicinan dan kecerdasan
Jeph
Jun 06, 2009 Jeph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snake by Jeff Stone was and continues to be my favorite of the series so far, but perhaps that's because I identify with Seh, the Snake Kung Fu artist the most. Having said that, Snake is certainly the most action heavy so far of the series, or so it seemed to me. The action starts flowing quickly as Seh meets up with the bandits described in Book 2 : Monkey. Again, allies are made, those once thought to be friends plot against and betray our heroes and the family ties and criss-crosses develo ...more
Mingo Johnson Jr
Seh, master of snake style kung fu, is a secretive and observant individual. After the fall of the temple, Seh goes searching for help among the bandits who leader is Mong, master of cobra style kung fu. He is granted membership but soon after Monkey get in a quarrel with Bear, one of the gang members. Monkey succeeds in defeating him and leaves. Seh catches up with him and Fu later and they get ambushed by Ying. Ying and his soldiers defeat them. as they were about to get executed, they escape ...more
Iluve75
Oct 09, 2008 Iluve75 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snake, book 3 in the 5 ancestors is about 12 year old Sa or snake who when told to scatter into the 4 winds by grandmaster,save China and soften his lost brother Yings heart, Sa runs for his life and into the forest. But Sa has a secret,he is a dealer of secrets. Often when Grandmaster talked in secret, Sa would spy and listen in on him and learn his secrets. But now Sa must find some one to trust to share his secrets with, because those secrets just might save China and pinheaded Ying for that ...more
Abduraafi Andrian
Seh, biksu Ular ini terlalu pandai dan dingin. Dengan sifatnya yang seperti itu membuat cerita lebih serius dan lebih terkontrol. Lagi-lagi Malao yang menjadi saviorku karena cekikikannya yang hampir setiap saat.

Semakin seru! Semakin kompleks! Coba tebak, di akhir Seh bertemu siapa? Hok! Jadi, cerita akan berlanjut dari sudut pandang biksu Bangau (Crane). Semoga dilanjutkan ya Penerbit! *highfive*

Ulasan ada di sini.
Tom
Jan 19, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets. Thats what Seh, the snake style kung fu artist likes. And he will uncover many in the third book of the five ancestor series. Set in1646, a group of young warrior monks have their lives turned upside down when thier temple is raided and their grand master killed. Now Seh, with the help of Malao (monkey), and Fu (Tiger) are going to meet up with his father and his group of bandits. Along the way, Seh meets his mother, meets back up with Hok (crane) and clashes with Tonglong. I personally ...more
Steve Clark
This one gets a little confusing, partially just due to the convergence of characters with similar names, and the fact that many of the characters now have TWO names. Some good action at times and also some humor (Inevitable whenever Malao, the Monkey-brother is around) make it still worth reading, and some twists at the end make you hold out hope that the next book will be better again--up to the level of the first two books, which I did like a little more. Hopefully the series is not running o ...more
RCHK LIRC
Twelve-year-old Seh is a snake-style master and a keeper of secrets. Close-lipped and ever-watchful, he has used his highly attuned senses to collect information about his brothers, his temple, and even Grandmaster. Now, with the temple and Grandmaster gone, Seh sheds his orange robe like an old skin, joins a bandit gang, and meets a mysterious woman whose name means Cobra—all the while trying to stay one step ahead of vengeful Ying!
Dylan
Nov 09, 2010 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third book in the Five Ancestors series. All of books are told from a different person's point of view and this one is from Seh's point of view. This book fills in the gaps the others have left and this book has a lot of adventure, excitment and betrayal. There are new characters introduced and old characters are reintroduced. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes action packed books such as The Lightning Thief.
WhyNN ~
lagi. kali ini dari apa yangbdialami Seh selama mereka masih berpisah.

saya hanya membayangkan apa bila ketiga buku pertama digabungkan, kita akan mendapatkan lebih dr 500lembar. karena banyaknya adegan yang diulang-ulang. denngan gaya bercerita yang sama. karakternya sendiri juga tidak bisa saya bilang cukup kuat. tp dari segi cerita dan ide. buku ini saya acungi jempol. cuman sepertinya tidak terlalu cocok biat saya
Alaina Sloo
Book 3 of the Five Ancestors series which follows the adventures of some child warrior monks after the destruction of their temple. Short books full of adventure, detailed descriptions of kung fu moves, and Chinese culture, these are appealing books (especially for adventure-loving readers) for readers who are working up to longer books, with the added bonus of learning something about Chinese history and culture along the way.
06ZachC
Oct 15, 2011 06ZachC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh this is the best five ancestors book yet. In this book another temple gets destroyed and seh has no where to go. Until he joins that group of bandits and is part of there stronghold. At there secret place he meets a weird women and her name means cobra. This book has some of the strangest and most exiting things in any of the books. On the other hand secrets are revealed and someone is a girl!
Anthony Lin
Nov 20, 2010 Anthony Lin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dayna Smith
Nov 24, 2011 Dayna Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-series
The third installment in The Five Ancestors series continues with Seh, the snake, who struggles to find his brothers and save the Dragon Scrolls. He joins a powerful band of bandits and discovers his mother and father. Now, with the bandits, Seh, Fu, and Malao seek to keep the scrolls safe from Ying and find the rest of their Cangzhen brothers. But the plot thickens...
VeeDawn
Apr 19, 2011 VeeDawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one even better than the last, which was surprising because I really DO NOT like Snakes! Still his point of view was fascinating and I really like the character, even though I am not converted to liking the real critter. I am interested in the next book too, since they discovered in this book that Crane is really a girl!
Brooke
Sep 19, 2014 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I am sure I would have liked it even better had I began with book one - but this was on the BCD shelf so I grabbed it. Lots of action, I was a little surprised at the occasional violence, so at least 4th grade and up. I did enjoy it and might read the last one to see how it all ends. Kept most of the characters straight - there are quite a few characters.
Lahari
Aug 27, 2013 Lahari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the style the author writes these books is a little different than others. Instead of picking up from where the last book left off, he goes back to what the five kids did when they left the temple and then brings it back to the present time. I like this style because you get to know what happens to all of the kids not just one. The story is really good too.
  • The Deception (Animorphs, #46)
  • Dragon Castle
Jeff Stone is the author of the ALA and IRA award-winning Five Ancestors series with more than 600,000 copies sold in 14 languages. When that series concluded, he wanted to do something different than another tale set in seventeenth-century China. However, he was reluctant to completely let go of kung fu or the characters he had grown to love. So he created an opportunity to update them to his own ...more
More about Jeff Stone...

Five Ancestors (7 books)
  • Tiger (Five Ancestors, #1)
  • Monkey (Five Ancestors, #2)
  • Crane (Five Ancestors, #4)
  • Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5)
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)