Start by marking “Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)

Dead Man's Island (Henrie O #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Few men would respond to an attempt on their life with an invitation to the killer to try again. But arrogant, daredevil media magnate Chase Prescott has done just that, while issuing an urgent summons to the one person he trusts to point out the would-be murderer...his long-ago colleague and lover, retired newshound Henrietta O'Dwyer Collins. After a lifetime covering dis ...more
Published June 1st 1994 by Crimeline (first published August 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Island

Cheryl Landmark
This is my favourite type of whodunnit, cozy mystery--a pool of murder suspects gathered together on an isolated island or in an isolated mansion. In this case, the setting was an isolated island, which should have been an idyllic, relaxing vacation spot with luxurious amenities. But, the problem was a cold-blooded murderer was among the guests and it was up to Henrie O to figure out who the culprit was.

I flew through this book fairly quickly and would have rated it a little higher, except for H
Megan O'Neill
Henrietta O'Dwyer ("Henrie O") Collins is a heroine worthy of a series, a brassy former reporter who still knows the questions to ask and how to ask them to get to the bottom of a story. Although the book itself was ultimately likable and not a regrettable read, parts of the plot just felt...overdone. Being called to a private island (Island Clue, anyone?) to solve an attempted murder that ends up being successful, and then being marooned on said island with said murderer (whose identity hasn't ...more
Andrew
A cheesy who-done-it, but it was its cheesiness that made it fun. A group of suspects is gathered on a private island by a media mogul, who also invites a retired journalist to figure out who attempted to murder him a few weeks ago. The amateur sleuth Henrie O. is a sharp, likable heroine, deserving of the series the author gave her after this book. The somewhat contrived plot and the stereotypical characters – the dramatic actress, the ruthless lawyer, the playboy son, the ambitious employee, e ...more
Mark Baker
Henrie O gets a call from her old lover that he needs help, so she flies to his island. Once there, she learns he fears for his life, and sure enough he is murdered during a storm. Trapped on the island with a killer, can Henrie figure out who done it? A good puzzler that would make Christie proud. My only complaint was the ending was rushed, and the book deserved better.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Book Concierge
2.5**

This is the debut of ex-reporter and amateur sleuth Henrietta O'Dwyer Collins, a/k/a Henrie O. An old flame – now a media mogul – asks Henrie O to come to his private island for a holiday, and to investigate a special project – one of the guests is trying to kill him. It would be an idyllic setting; Chase has spared no expense in outfitting his getaway. Guests enjoy luxury amenities, an attentive staff and superb food; or they would if a hurricane weren't bearing down on them.

I've read one
Sharon Snyder
Don't try to read this if you have a Nook ereader! The OCR they used to convert it to ebook wasn't good & was never proof-read. I was leery of it from the get go when I saw the blurbs for her other books before even getting into the story and an obviously wrong word. Instead of saying "PRAISE FOR AWARD WINNING AUTHOR CAROLYN G. HART" it said "AWARD MIMING AUTHOR."
This was just the first of many errors in the conversion and I finally had to give up when on page 37 it said that after death ri
Katherine Clark
I read this for the Cozy Monograph. This book is the first featuring investigative reporter Henri O. It definitely followed traditional tropes: small group of suspects, most of whom hate each other and their host (all with reason to kill the host), marooned on a tropical island with a killer storm approaching. This book won the Best NOvel Agatha in 1993. Clever denoument.
Eleanor Jones
This is without a doubt one of the best books, let alone mystery books, that I have ever read. If you only have time to read a few books this year, I beg you to put this one on your list. As a bonus, it introduced me to the wonderful Henri O series, among the best I have ever come across. The way this book hooks you in to a locked room (or, rather, locked island) scenario works very well, and I love the main character, who is far from the typical protagonist you'll find in a mystery series. I wi ...more
Kwoomac
This is one of a series. Main character, Henrie O, is an older woman (70s)who was once a newspaper reported and now writes mystery thrillers. And, of course, she finds herself in the midst of murderers.Here Henrie O is recruited by an old lover to find out who's trying to kill him. He gathers all the suspects to his private island (I'm not kidding) and then holds them captive because he controls the only boat off the island. Someone attempst to murder him, someone blows up the boat, there's a h ...more
KarenF
3.5*s - Good old-fashioned "locked room" mystery with a bunch of suspects trapped on an island. I enjoyed the lead character but figured out the mystery well in advance. Also the big "surprise" at the end wasn't much of a surprise to me. However, Henrie O is a good amateur sleuth. Being a former reporter she knows how to dig and how to handle herself in an emergency. Unlike many cozy heroines she doesn't do anything ridiculous to jeopardize herself and others and in fact argues for police involv ...more
Rita
***1/2 is my actual rating. Carolyn Hart did a great job building a suspenseful, malevolent environment for this whodunit novel. Henry O., a fifty year veteran of investigative news reporting, is called by her long ago x-lover, Chase Prescott, media mogul, to help find who is attempting to kill him. Chase gathers all those he suspects, his family and employees. Henry O works diligently as a hurricane travels up the east coast to the mansion where they are all gathered on and island off the South ...more
Ellen Wagner
Some bad language
Melissa
A light, entertaining read. About halfway through, I figured out who did it (or rather, who was going to do it), but it was still an OK read. I like the author's descriptions. I particularly liked how she described the hot, thick air...very appropriate for this time of year. The hurricane scenes at the end were a little over the top/unbelievable, which is why this is only a 3-star book. However, I will continue on to the next book in the series because I do like the main character.
Patty Johnson
I like all the Henri O books. I sometimes think that the author should have made her slightly younger as she appears pretty spry for her years when she is jogging along etc. Others have criticized her for being bossy, etc. I can not agree with them. She's just a woman who has worked in a man's world and acts accordingly.
Ratforce
For a classic and beloved author of cozy mysteries, try Carolyn Hart. She often focuses on traditional investigation novels with amateur sleuths. This is the first in the Henrie O series, featuring a retired reporter, or for a series featuring a bookshop owner, try Death on Demand.
Sarah Haman
Ah... a new mystery writer :) A woman detective on a mission to discover who wants to kill a friend who's now a very wealthy media magnate. Lots of good characters all trapped on a small, resort-type island with a hurricane coming!

Melissa
Book #13 read in 2005

This novel was okay. There were some VERY unbelieveable moments, but then all cozy mysteries tend to be a little like that. I liked it enough to give the next in the series a chance. Maybe it will be even better.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Continuing on my pursuit of mysteries, I found this when I was trying to find books set in South Carolina. A mystery and a hurricane, and actually - I liked the amateur detective Henrie O. quite a lot, enough to try more books by Hart.
Shannon
I like her Henri O character, and the setting was intriguing. It was well-written, but I'm not certain it's a series I'll continue. It's certainly worth one more read in the series before I make up my mind though.
Deborah
I've read a lot of this author, and have to say I think the Henry O stories are my favorite. This one was well written and hard to put down. Highly recommend if you like cozy mysteries.
Raymond Spitzer
I enjoyed it and enjoyed a new "detective". I booked hooked me right off and the solution was quite ingenious and believable. I'm going to read some more in this series.
Wilma
I really liked this book. It had a good mystery plot with quite a few twists and turns. I enjoyed Henrie O and look forward to reading more of Carolyn Hart's books about her.
Cathy
New author and 1st book in the series. Not sure I liked it. She was trying too hard for a "Then There Were None" feel. She is no Agatha Christie.
Melanie
Just a random mystery I picked out at the library....and it turned out to be a really decent mystery! I'm excited to read some more of her books....
Nadine
Jun 05, 2012 Nadine added it
A retired news journalist is summoned to a private island by a lover from her college days. Reminded of the game of clue.
Fmorlan
very good mystery. i never read a henrie o book but this kept me interested. amazing conclusion never saw it coming
Liz
Aug 28, 2011 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy the Henrie O. series (read 1-7 to date) but don't find them as much fun as the early Death on Demand series.
Rachel
Nov 28, 2010 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Anna
It took me a while to read this because it really didn't hold my attention for a long period of time.
Joni
I didn't enjoy this as much as the Death on Demand series. Didn't go further in the series.
  • Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters Mystery, #1)
Also writes as Carolyn Hart

Author of bestseller Death on Demand series featuring sassy bookstore detective Annie Darling who with her husband Max and occasionally her wacky mother-in-law solves murder in and around her sleepy South Carolina town. First debuted in 1987, the series has spanned 22 books as of 2012.

Hart was born and still resides in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
More about Carolyn G. Hart...
Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1) Design for Murder (Death on Demand, #2) A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5) Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3) The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)