Start by marking “Fat Ollie's Book (87th Precinct, #52)” as Want to Read:
Fat Ollie's Book (87th Precinct, #52)

Fat Ollie's Book (87th Precinct #52)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  749 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Murders happen every day in the big bad city. They're not such a big deal, you know. Even when the victim is a city councilman as well known as Lester Henderson. But this is the first time Fat Ollie Weeks of the 88th Precinct has written a novel, ah yes. Called "Report to the Commissioner," it follows a cunning detective named Olivia Wesley Watts, who, apart from being fem ...more
Published December 24th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Ollie's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Ollie's Book

Cathy DuPont
Oct 17, 2014 Cathy DuPont rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Listening to Fat Ollie in Car
Listened to this in the car and sometimes it's difficult to concentrate while driving...so had to go back once or twice or more.

It was good, though, the usual McBain. Clear, uncomplicated writing, good fun story about Detective Oliver who happens to be a big guy. And he enjoys his food; his three meals a day...surprise, surprise.

Not reading any (I don't think) of the 87th Precinct series I'm not all that familiar with them but Fat Ollie is from the 88th Precinct and works with the 87th on thes
Skip
A politician in an empty theater, prepping for a rally. Detective Fat Ollie Weeks gets the squeal, and while investigating in his usual offensive way, his finally completed manuscript is stolen from his car. Ollie recruits Steve Carella and Bert Kling to help in his investigation of the murder while he also tries to find his only copy of the manuscript. His book entitled "Report to the Commissioner" about a female cop locked in a basement with cache of blood diamonds is thought to be real by the ...more
Tony Gleeson
87th Precinct number 52! I finished this with mixed feelings. Part of me really liked it, part of me wasn't so sure. I decided to give it a low 4. McBain once again explored some different territory with this one and I once again came away with the feeling he was getting bored with his characters and was trying to do something a little different. His highly unlikeable train-wreck of a detective, Fat Ollie Weeks, is the focal point of this one. And yet by book's end the reader has caught a glimps ...more
Kirsti
Disappointing. The main character in this book is such a buffoon that I had trouble finishing it. I have never ended a conversation with a coworker (or with anyone, actually) by grabbing my crotch, as Ollie does in this book. Would you? Is it a logical or effective way to conclude an argument?

Also, there isn't much to the plot, and there are so many characters that I had trouble keeping track of them all.

The novel-within-a-novel is atrociously written on purpose, but the humor wore thin. I like
Julie Marks
Fat Ollie's Book is a clever story that contains a book within a book. When leaving the scene where a councilman was murdered, Detective/First Grade Oliver Wendell Weeks ("Fat Ollie") realizes that he now has to find two perpetrators, the person who killed Councilman Henderson and the person who stole a novel from his squad car during the murder investigation. As the first one from his police precinct (the 88th) on the scene, Ollie becomes the detective in charge and begins his interrogation. Si ...more
Randy
Fat Ollie Weeks fancies himself a writer along the lines of Joseph Wambaugh that has written a sure fire bestseller. That it's not very long shows that our boy doesn't really understand. When his "book" is stolen from his car, he turns the city upside down looking for it.

The crook thinks it's a report on a hidden cache of gems and starts looking for them. When no street names or businesses match up, he presumes it's code and tries to break it.

While Ollie is trying to find his bestseller, the 87
Kim
Fat Ollie Weeks is one of those characters that makes you cringe even though he is only in a book. He has little redeeming value at all but life wouldn't be as interesting without him...right?
Ellen
Inept cop writes a novel, leaves manuscript on the back seat of the car and it's stolen. Carella helps solve the real crime and lets Fat Ollie take credit. Lots of fun farce in this book
Gloria
This is the 52nd book in a 57 book series entitled the "87th Precinct Mysteries." It is a gritty, police procedural novel set in New York. The main character, Ollie Weeks, is an obese detective with destructive eating habits who is also an "equal opportunity bigot" who casts slurs at nearly every ethnicity the reader might think of. While there is some swearing, there is actually only implied violence, drug use, and sexual activity. There is humor in that Ollie thinks he has written the next gre ...more
Mary Alice
Perhaps I've had too much of the 87th Precinct lately. Perhaps I just can't find Fat Ollie, a racist and a glutton, endearing. With this, my fourth book in the very long 87th Precinct series, I no longer find fictional police detection as fascinating as when it was new to me.

There are two stories in the book, and also a novel within a novel. So I was confused. The first story has to do with the theft of the only copy of a detective novel that Ollie wrote. Most or all of Ollie's 36 page book is i
Donna
Ed McBain is gone. He wrote the book on police procedurals for decades, getting better every year, and he left a treasure trove behind him; I miss him anyway.

His novels center around a particular police precinct, so there are several characters that turn up in his novels, developed carefully over the years, that he can limelight, though usually his main man is Carella. Not this time, though.

Fat Ollie is a complex character. Contemptuous, racist, unattractive, he is also a really shrewd cop who,
Tina
I've read all the 87th precinct novels and found over the years that I enjoy the detectives of the Eight-Seven, their cases and their personal lives. I, however, don't like Ollie Weekes and am dismayed that he's playing an increasingly larger (no pun intended) role in the series. And it isn't because of his bigoted views, although they play a part, it is because he's not an interesting character. He's one-dimensional and has not a single quality that makes him an interesting "person" to read abo ...more
Cathy
Fat Ollie Weeks (aka Oliver Wendall Weeks) is a detective from the 88th precinct who has shown up in a number of Ed McBain’s 87th precinct stories. He is a good detective but a horrible bigot with poor hygiene and atrocious eating habits. In the previous 87th precinct novel, he decided that he could write a book – a detective mystery. This McBain book is named “Fat Ollie’s Book” not only because he features prominently in it, rather than a secondary character as usual, but because we are also tr ...more
James Brown
This was the first Ed McBain book I read and I didn't expect to like it much ... residual English prof snobbery, I guess. In truth, it wasn't a very accurate introduction to the 87th Precinct because it's pretty late in the McBain oeuvre and focuses almost perversely on an ancillary character. It's a little more ... dare I say ... literary than some of the other 87th Precinct novels. There are some interesting metafictional elements here, but Pale Fire it ain't.

So what I can say? Now that relea
Gerald Kinro
A mayoral candidate is murdered and the 87th precinct goes into action. While this is the main thrust of the story, there is also the plot of Fat Ollie’s writing. Oliver Weeks, or Fat Ollie, is the newest member of the 87th precinct’s squad of detectives. Inspired by crime, he has written a book, “Report to the Commissioner.” His manuscript is stolen, however, and he is ticked off...

As always, Mcbain shows his ability to create a full three-dimensional character. Fat Ollie is simply the loveabl
Katie Simon
it was a book inside a book. the character fat Ollie made me want to stop reading. the way he acted/spoke and the way he wrote his finished novel made it difficult to read. not one of his better books.
Dianne Landry
Another in the 87th precinct series. I really enjoy these books. They are mindless, fun police drama.
Patrick O'Neil
Not McBain's best. A little too goofy with an improbable plot and a very unlikable protagonist. Sort of surprised I actually finished it.
Chi Dubinski
Fat Ollie Weeks is the lazy bigoted cop who works the 88th precinct. He writes a book—quite badly—called “Report to the Commissioner.” The only copy of his book is stolen from his car when he is called to investigate the death of a city councilman. He spends as much time trying to track down the missing manuscript as working the case of the councilman, with the help of the detectives from the 87th. There are excerpts from the missing book, which are hilarious in their awfulness
Gavin Simms
I like Fat Ollie but I don't think the "book within a book" worked all that well.
Mark Walker
A bit daft. The idea of an unpleasant cop writing a first person book in voice of a woman requires suspension of belief, and suspension is further stretched when an unpleasant perp believes the book to be real and tries to track down the characters. But, McBain has a great gift for dialogue and creating believable people. The scenes describing Fat Ollie eating are vivid and show a brilliant gift for painting memorable pictures from ordinary events.
Sara
Ok detective fiction, not great. Included a book within a book that was obviously supposed to be badly written, which had the backfire effect of me noticing similarities in the writing of the actual book. In some ways, the shamelessly all-inclusive racism and sexism of the main character was refreshing - no dissembling there - but reading it in the immediate wake of the Trayvon Martin verdict made it harder to enjoy the intended humor in the guy.
Chana
For some reason gluttonous, bigoted Detective Ollie Weeks is charming. There is also something a little Donald Westlake about this book but not as funny.
So.... there is a murder that needs to be solved but there is also a break-in to Ollie's car and his book manuscript is stolen. The person who stole it mistakes it for a real report and thinks that if he can decode this report he will find a huge cache of diamonds. Confusion ensues.
Steve
book on tape.
not my favorite mcBain chartacter but I like mcBain.
The disreputable, bigoted, dirty-mouthed but oddly likable Ollie Weeks, a walk-on in Ed McBain's popular 87th Precinct series, gets a book of his own here: not just the mystery of who killed a popular mayoral candidate a few days before the election, but the one Ollie, improbably, is writing.
Saxon Bennett
at first i wasn't that keen on it, but the dialogue sold me on the story. the fast paced dialogue and its back and forth rat-ta-tat speed and misunderstandings between characters was actually hilarious. i always find it odd to start out not liking a book only to discover that by the end i am madly in love with it.
Keith Davis
Ed McBain was the father of the police procedural Mystery and in Fat Ollie's Book he has his most offensive slob of a character write the worst police procedural novel imaginable. it is about as close to meta-fiction as you will find in a crime novel. Also a city councilman gets shot.
Ginny
Not my favorite, but my husband liked it. Features Fat Ollie, a detective from an adjoining precinct of the 87th. Ollie is about as politically incorrect as a person can get and still preform his duties and not get sued. This book develops his character.
Fredrick Danysh
Fat Ollie has written a novel loosely based on himself. When it is stolen from his car, he helps Carella and Kling investigate the murder of a councilman. Along the way he regains his dedication to police work.
Grey853
As much as I like the 87th Precinct series and Steve Carella, I don't like a book that centered around Fat Ollie. He's a bigot and not a very good detective. It's difficult to have any sympathy for a guy like that.
Christian Belz
I like that he puts illustrations in the text of the book, not many--perhaps four all together. Good story, but it's an ensamble cast, interesting police work, and I want someone to care about and cheer on.
  • Candyland
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #3)
  • The Story of a Million Years
  • The Silent Bride (April Woo, #7)
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Half Moon Street: Two Short Novels
  • The Last Goodbye
  • Gun Lake
  • Fear of the Dark (Fearless Jones, #3)
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Prince Ombra
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • Five Fortunes
  • Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher: An 87th Precinct Novel (87th Precinct #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)