Start by marking “How Not To Live Abroad” as Want to Read:
How Not To Live Abroad

How Not To Live Abroad

The almond farm in Almeria, Spain, is exactly what twentysomething slackers Shaun Briley and his girlfriend. Helen, have been looking for: A rustic retreat from the pressures of adulthood back in London. Complete ignorance of agriculture, local culture, and the language? Not a problem. The key to success lies in mastering a few simple lessons about the simple life.... 1) ...more
282 pages
Published June 7th 2004 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Not To Live Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not To Live Abroad

C.
Enlightening and Hilarious Misconceptions/Misadventures of a couple who moved from UK to Spain!
I had so much fun reading this book.I love hearing of personal experiences and reading of other cultures,so I thought this would be a great book to read about both combined since it is a book about a young couple who move to a vastly different country.

This book had me laughing out loud so much while at the same time giving great insight to some pitfalls to expect/avoid. The author is genuinely funny,a
Catherine
Nov 02, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing
The author and his girlfriend leave their day-to-day lives for a vacation in Spain, find themselves buying an extremely "rustic" house, and living there for about a year. The house is literally crumbling all around them. No water. No electricity. No indoor toilet, or outhouse, for that matter. Briley's stories are very enjoyable, not only about his trials and tribulations with the house, but also his reflections on the cast of local characters that he becomes acquainted with. I would love to ...more
Mick
Jul 18, 2012 Mick rated it liked it
A comical view of expatriates attempt at "the simple life." If you've ever dreamed of dropping out and setting up house abroad this is a how to....in reverse.
Darryl Templer
Aug 31, 2014 Darryl Templer rated it it was amazing
I found myself chuckling and laughing frequently as I followed the exploits of this young couple as they try to live simplistically in a back-to-nature style in a cheap, rustic Spanish 10 acre farm/orchard without electricity and indoor plumbing. An optimistic attitude coupled with lack of experience reveal clashes in philosophy, visions for the future, and work allocation that provide more food for hilarity. We not only get to know the couple but also their neighbors and customs in this valley ...more
Terrie
Jan 04, 2008 Terrie rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more than I did...It was definitely really funny in places and certainly different from most "let's buy a farm" books. I think it was just too repetitive and needed better editing.
Keith
Apr 06, 2014 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The story of the author and his girl friend's decision to purchase a rustic farmhouse in a remote area of southern Spain. Although some of the experiences of their adventure are humorous, there's not much depth to the story or their relationship...and neither last.
Christiana
Feb 03, 2014 Christiana rated it it was ok
I think I would have liked to also hear the point of view of his girlfriend, because it was tedious after a bit to to read how she blamed him for most everything. Also the inconsistency in his ability to understand and speak the language.

The ending also was rushed.

Andrea
Feb 09, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I found it fun and witty and a quick read (mainly because I kept wanting to know what new adventure the next chapter would bring). I recommend it to anyone who thinks their life is rough!
Susie
Feb 27, 2009 Susie rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. I felt it started to drag towards the end, and I was starting to have other issues with the book at that time, too. But a solid 3 stars for me; 4 stars for parts of the book.
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Chris Logan
Chris Logan rated it it was ok
May 03, 2016
Erin Robichaud
Erin Robichaud rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2009
Sarah Rosenberger
Sarah Rosenberger rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Debora Acciarito
Debora Acciarito rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2010
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Clint L
Clint L rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Jennww2ns
Apr 26, 2016 Jennww2ns rated it did not like it
Gave up at Chapter 7.
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015