Ten Little Mummies

Ten Little Mummies

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Deep underground in a dreary old tomb 10 little mummies were stuffed in one room. Nothing to play with, no books on the shelves, Just 10 little mummies wrapped up in themselves. "This is the pits!" said a mummy one day. "I am bored stiff. Let's go outside and play!

For the first time in prehistory ten adorable mummies are painting the town red. But what is there to paint...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Viking Juvenile

Janelle Harris
My 4 year old son LOVED this book. We read it every day, and he actually had the entire book memorized in 4-5 days. The story was very clever, it had a great rhythm to it and was humorous. We actually ended up buying it since we had initially checked it out at the library. This is a great book for children learning to count and/or learning to read. Very cute book!!
Angela
Why are you OUT OF PRINT? Why? You were so great. So funny. I miss you, my dearest mummy counting story. May you be preserved in your mummy cloth until resurected with a reprint. Until then, I will not forget you.
Sara Hannon
1. Picture book/Counting

2. Ten little mummies all crammed in a tomb decide to go out and have some fun. But one by one, they all start to disappear.

3. This is not really a book for young children. It would be a great book for late kindergarten or early first grade when children are really learning how to count backwards. The strength of this book really is the emphasis and the counting structure. We start off with a big red ten, and when one runs from the sun due to heatstroke, on the next page...more
Amber Delauri
1. Counting
2. Ten Little Mummies follows the adventures of ten bored mummies who decide to go explore outside their tomb. The title chronicles their experiences and (mis)adventures.
3. Critique:
a. Rhyming
b. I liked that the author used rhyme to keep the reader interested in the mummies’ adventures. The rhyme combined with the loss of a mummy on each adventure builds the overall intrigue of an otherwise mild story. Children would take pleasure in speculating how the next mummy will get thrown fro...more
Angelina
1. Concept Picture Book—Counting
2. Little mummies are stuck in a tomb, bored. They decide to go out and play; however, with each activity, mummies disappear one at a time.
3. A. Age Appropriate
B. This is a pretty advanced number book in that it alludes to Egyptian history, which may not be familiar to young students learning to count. Because of this, I think this book would be better read aloud as to incorporate discussion. I, personally, didn’t even know what “hijinks” meant and had to look it...more
Ashton Livsey
Genre: Children’s Picture Book, Counting
Summary: Ten little mummies are stuck in a tomb so they go out to have adventures, and one by one they disappear.
Critique: a) This counting book not only incorporates counting down, but a story, fun facts, and wonderful pictures.
The story does a wonderful job counting from ten down to one in a new way. The mummies are adventurous and when they come out of their tomb they do many different things. Along the way mummies are lost one by one to different obst...more
Amy
1) Genre: Concept Picture Book

2) Summary: 10 mummies are bored and decide to have fun and slowly disappear.
3) Critique:
a) I really enjoyed how the mummies were used to make the story more interesting and incorporated counting as well.
b) One by one the mummies get lost because they are attempting to venture out and have a little bit of fun. There is an emphasis placed on each decreasing number as the mummies lose their way.
c) The following is an excerpt from the end of the book:
“9 little mummi...more
Jenna Satcher
1.This book belongs to the Counting book category for picture books.

2.Ten little mummies are wrapped up in their tomb but they are bored! They decide to go out and play, but one by one they disappear because of crocodiles, heat stroke, sandstorms and more. The last mummy is sad and goes back to the tomb, but is surprised when all her friends are there!

3.Critique:
A)One of the best parts of the book, in my opinion, is that this counting story has a complete plot.

B)This book does not simply count d...more
Nicole White
Ten Little Mummies by Philip Yates

1. Genre: Counting

2. Ten Little Mummies is a counting and poetry book that is reminiscent of the poem “Ten Little Monkeys”. Ten mummies head out of their tomb to take on adventure, but one by one they get separated from the group.

3. a. Area for Comment: Appropriateness

b. I think the basic idea of this counting/poetry book is cute, but I wonder if it would be a little too disturbing for some very young readers. This book is meant for very young (kindergarten age...more
Sarah Sammis
Counting books are great for children who are just learning to read. They are predictable and rhythmic and thus fairly easy to read. They are typically done with cute things: ladybugs, monkeys, bunnies, kitties.

Ten Little Mummies by Philip Yates bucks the trend a little (although his mummies are cute too). Ten entombed mummies get bored with staying put and decide to explore. One by one they disappear, one by one.

I have to admit I got this counting book more for myself than my kids. They know I'...more
Meg McGregor
A wonderfully off-beat counting book that is witty and will catch little ones attention immediately.

A great way also to introduce some Egyptian history to your little archaeologists.
jacky
Aug 20, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool - primary
When we went to the library in Texas, I let Natalie crawl around a bit and she pulled this off the shelf. It was a cute variation of your normal counting book, but instead of ducks or fish, it was mummies! Since I read this a month ago, the details escape me, but I do remember thinking that each event that causes one more mummy to disappear were appropriate for mummies and as clever. Great Halloween book that isn't scary and also a great fun addition to a unit on ancient Egypt, with the bonus of...more
Rida
I loved it great for little ones
Angela
This story is a very cute story on mummies. Book begins with 10 mummies in a box. They leave the box and experience the world. One by one they leave and are down to only one mummy left. He feels lonely and ends up going home. When he gets home he realizes his mummy friends threw him a surprise party and they are all reunited all over again.

This book could be incorporated into the classroom with other math books. This book can help students count forward and backwards due to the story line.

Rebecca
This is a fun counting book. I liked the cultural lesson as well and explained about the nile and the sphinx to my kids as we read. My favorite line is "7 little mummies got lost in the dunes. One was adopted by friendly baboons." I like it because my 4 year old commented "Hey mom, it's not a problem at all to run into baboons." That was quite clever.
Sari
Another book the 3-year old and I checked out of the library - he LOVES this book. The pictures are appealing to him and the text is easy enough that he can help "read" it after just a few go rounds. He gives it five stars and wants to keep it. I like it because even after reading it 42 times in a row, I'm not tired of it. :-)
Cassie
Great book for ages 3 and up. Contains great words to help build vocabulary, rhyming to help with phonological awareness, and counts down instead of up! Because it counts down from 10, its predictable enough that kids can participate and help predict how many mummies will be left on the next page.
Vivian
I've seen this story performed with home-made mummy puppets made with wooden spoons. I thought of putting tissues over suckers but didn't think of it early enough to prepare. Be sure to house your puppets in a "shoe-box" tomb! I suppose a work glove could be made into a puppet for this story.
Heidi
Good for a toddler age, and probably preschool. But a bit young for the Age 4-7 group I'm planning for this summer. I really like that the mummies incorporate the Egypt setting and that it isn't a Halloween book. So I'm keeping it around for my Egypt/Mummy theme in case I need a filler.
Andrea
Jun 21, 2011 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 2-8
Shelves: picture-books
Cute rhymes, a fun idea, and good structure make this book one all my kids wanted me to read again and again. You won't learn much about Egypt or pyramids, but budding archaeologists or kids that think they want something a little spooky will enjoy this book.
Amy
As the title states, this is an Egyptian counting book.
It's most suited as a read-aloud to preschoolers, but the facts inside the front/back cover and the introduction of Egyptian vocabulary and concepts could be used with older children as well.
Amanda
Great rhyming counting book. While mummies are slightly hard to explain to a preschooler, they make a very fun kind of introduction to Ancient Egypt and I thought were appropriate for pre-Halloween reading.
Shelli
Fun read aloud and counting book about 10 little mummies who escape the crypt for the day for a bit of adventure. This book could easily be used by educators as a resource for math and art projects.
Caleb
I'm not sure the rhyme scheme always worked perfectly, but the art's great, and the writer managed to think up various Egypt-y ways to gradually dispose of the little mummies.
Christina
What a good example of imagination. The mummies do all sorts of things but one gets lost each page. This helps us count down from ten to one.
Sherry
Not just another picture book about counting, this book has both rhyme and rhythm, kid-like illustrations, and lots of fun things going on.
Lisa
A great countdown from 10-1. Uses Rhyming too. A great way to interest small children in Egypt and the pyramids.
Ricky Francis
This book was very enjoyable. Its done in a very cool style and some up the pictures just make you laugh.
Kade
I really liked this counting book! Just enough play on words to keep it interesting for adults.
Elizabeth
Multicultural, so cute. Egyptian counting book with mummies. Displays famous places around Egypt.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Pirate's Night Before Christmas A Pirate's Twelve Days of Christmas The Little Giant® Book of Laughs Silly Jokes & Giggles World's Silliest Jokes