Start by marking “Women Who Kill” as Want to Read:
Women Who Kill

Women Who Kill

A wonderful collection of true stories of murder most feminine!
Published June 1st 2004 by Booksales (first published March 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Who Kill

Naomi
Jul 02, 2016 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 22%.

I really, really wanted to like this. But it's so awful I not only DNF, I actually returned it to Amazon. I might've returned three books out of a couple of thousand...

The foreword is a thinly disguised attack on feminism, followed by writers who think it's more shocking that Elvira Barney and Martha Beck were fat than that they murdered people. Politics aside, it's also very poorly written - the chapter on Kate Barker so much so that it's almost impossible to read. The beginning. Of
Courtney Chambers
Some of these stories are truly shocking and disturbing. And I watch/read true crime daily.
Crystal
Dec 06, 2010 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Perhaps if the copy I picked up had still had the dust jacket, or found it under the original/ full title of The Mammoth Book of Women Who Kill, instead of just Women Who Kill, I would have realized more the lurid/ cheap nature of the book. The introduction seems to aim at seriousness and credibility, but the quality of writing in the various chapters was all over the map. A few were well-written, intelligent, and obviously well-researched and well-documented. Some were absolutely, dreadfully po ...more
Ruth
Mar 16, 2016 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is a collection by various authors, it's a foregone conclusion that the style and quality would be spotty. In this case, however, the writing is almost uniformly bad, with most of the writers favoring a pulpy, overblown style that needlessly sensationalizes salacious detail. The editing is worse, with stories seemingly slapped together with no rhyme or reason. A chronological arrangement would have helped, since many of the articles give no hint to the time period until about halfway ...more
Susannah
Oct 19, 2007 Susannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the dark side of the force
I borrowed this book from a friend and read it rather quickly...but then I started having murderous nightmares and I threw it in a garbage can in a New York Subway Station. Evil Book be Gone!!

It was interesting to read some of the 1,000 pages on hundreds of murdering women, from Lady Dracula to the modern day moors murderer, but it started to harsh my positive vibe dude.
Laura Beth
The switching of authors from chapter to chapter made this book impossible for me to finish. Plus the chapters jumped from woman to woman without any reason or rhyme. Some kind of order was needed to make since of the book. The information in each chapter was good and I enjoyed quiet a few of the chapters but together the book just did not work for me. Did not finish the book.
Dumpster Baby
Jun 14, 2008 Dumpster Baby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuckin Awesome! Myra Hindley and Elisabeth Countess Bathory are my heros. I may just name my first born daughter Countess......
kay
Sep 29, 2016 kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite difficult to follow as there was no timeline or order and I found that it was poorly written in parts.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
It includes women all throughout history. Very interesting.
Jeanine
Apr 15, 2012 Jeanine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is truly a mammoth book! It's filled with short chapters for each of the murderess women. Its a fascinating read starting with Agrippa, Nero's mother and ending with Aileen Wuornos.
Alie
Alie rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Sally Rowden
Sally Rowden rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Patricia Atkinson
Patricia Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Judi
Judi rated it did not like it
May 10, 2012
Running Press
Running Press rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Natasha Howorth
Natasha Howorth rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Scarlett O.H.
Scarlett O.H. rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Catalina Gómez Michaelis
Catalina Gómez Michaelis rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Meridel Weitz
Meridel Weitz rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Tami Nelson
Tami Nelson rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Heidi Sinclair
Heidi Sinclair rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Joann TRAVIS
Joann TRAVIS rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
lori pokigo
lori pokigo rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Kristin Stewart
Kristin Stewart rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Amanda Rankin
Amanda Rankin rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Merrilee
Merrilee rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Mammoth Book of True Crime
  • The Mammoth Book of Unsolved Crime: The Biggest and Best Collection of Unsolved Murder and Mystery Cases
  • A Cast of Killers
  • Murder Most Rare: The Female Serial Killer
  • Kids Who Kill
  • Shots in the Dark: True Crime Pictures
  • Women Who Kill: Profiles of Female Serial Killers
  • Amelia Dyer: Angel Maker
  • Evil Serial Killers
  • Witness: The Story of David Smith, Chief Prosecution Witness in the Moors Murders Case
  • Fred & Rose
  • The Gangs of Chicago: An Informal History of the Chicago Underworld
  • One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
  • The Star Machine
  • The Boston Strangler
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Out of the Shadows: Fred West's Daughter Tells Her Harrowing Story of Survival
  • City of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940s