Start by marking “Let Sleeping Dogs Lie” as Want to Read:
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

When Johanna discovers that her grandfather's company--and her family's wealth--was founded on injustice due to the anti-Semitic laws of the Third Reich during the Nazi regime, she must make a life-altering decision.
Published October 1st 2007 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Amanda
Feb 25, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
I like the concept of the plot, but somehow the way it is written does not urge me to keep turning pages. I can't put my finger on it...except for a couple of scenes that grabbed my attention, the word that comes to me is "plain". I just trudged steadily through the book, compared to a story like Octavian Nothing where I just can't put the book down unless I absoluteley have to.
Regina
Feb 27, 2011 Regina rated it did not like it
Molly
Jul 08, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Can children be blamed for the actions of their parents, their grandparents, any of their ancestors? Even if they can't be held responsible, must they still shoulder the guilt of past behaviors? This is the premise behind this thought provoking novel of modern day Germany. Johanna discovers that her family's wealth and business success are all stolen, not earned as she once thought. Her family's clothing business used to belong to a Jewish family, conveniently run out by Nazi practices. This is ...more
Clay
Feb 13, 2008 Clay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens & adults-good crossover book
Recommended to Clay by: Karin, thank you
Complex, sophisticated and extraordinary. Sydney Taylor Honor Award Winner for Teen Readers. Starred review in January 2008 Bulletin of the Center for Chilldren's Books. On a class trip to Israel, eighteen-year-old German Johanna discovers her grandfather's Nazi past and that her family's business and wealth are the result of thefts, murders and lies--the "Sleeping Dogs" of the title. Pressler was the winner of the 2004 German Book Prize, among many other honors. Highly recommended.
Erica
Dec 12, 2008 Erica rated it liked it
Recommended to Erica by: CCB Book Group - February 2009
I had a hard time getting into this book. I'm not sure if it was the translation or what made it a bit of a difficult book to get through. For a serious issue book, I think it would have been a much better book if it was told in the first person. Being written in the third person omniscient made it hard for me to care about the main character as much as I might have if it was written in the first person.

Some of the serious issues regarding Johanna, the main character, and her family's history r
Hadley pettit
Sep 09, 2011 Hadley pettit rated it really liked it
I rated it 4 out of 5 because it was cunfusing. the books strengths are that its a very dramtic book so it pulls you in. the weaknesses of the book is that there were too many flashbacks when something else was going on. yes i would read another book by the same author because even though the book was cunfusing its still a good book and i wonder if his other books are good.
Katja
Sep 04, 2012 Katja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem das Buch drei Jahre im Regal stand (Ein Geschenk: "du kannst es toll im Unterricht einsetzen" - na toll!), hatte ich es dieses Jahr im Urlaub dabei. Es ist eine gute, unsentimentale Geschichte, deren Kern glaubwürdig und nicht überzogen ist. Ein gutes Buch, aber nicht nachhaltig genug, um davon viel zu erzählen. (gelesen 2012)
Rosanna
Aug 21, 2010 Rosanna rated it really liked it
By presenting the troubles of German descendants, a different view to the much covered Holocaust is offered. This would be a great book to read in conjunction with any Holocaust book that presents the Jewish side of things. Some of the themes are understated, therefore I think it would be best read by those 14 and older.
Deb
Feb 18, 2008 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic
German girl finds out her grandfather's store had been a Jew's store in the 1930s and he had gotten it under less than right circumstances. I thought the book was too choppy. I found it hard to follow. maybe the translation? But i wanted to like it more.
Sara
Mar 15, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
An interesting book (similar to a German film of the '90s) about a teen girl who discovers her own family's involvement in Nazi politics and the persecution of the Jews and then ends up having to deal with her feelings of guilt and responsibility. It was actually better than I make it sound.
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I thought this story was going to be much better than it actually was... Something was lacking, and it was confusing with all the flashbacks... It perhaps was the translation...
Susan  Person
Mar 25, 2008 Susan Person marked it as to-read
Recommended at the March WASHYARG meeting. Holocaust issues story - girl's grandfather benefited from buying a Jewish store at a rock bottom price.
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Aylin De
Aylin De rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Kait
Kait rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Juan Escalante
Juan Escalante rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2014
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2010
Ricky Bosso
Ricky Bosso rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Colleen Lecomte
Colleen Lecomte rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2009
Newport Librarians
Newport Librarians rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Eden
Eden rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2014
Caroline17
Caroline17 rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
German writer Mirjam Pressler is the author of several novels that have won awards in her native Germany and also received high praise from critics after being translated into English. In Malka and Halinka Pressler focuses on young Jewish protagonists who have been forced by fate to endure the Holocaust, while in Shylock's Daughter she returns readers to fifteenth-century Italy as she attempts to ...more
More about Mirjam Pressler...