Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration

Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Migration between Mexico and the United States is part of a historical process of increasing North American integration. This process acquired new momentum with the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement in 1994, which lowered barriers to the movement of goods, capital, services, and information. But rather than include labor in this new regime, the United Stat...more
Published September 11th 2003 by Russell Sage Foundation Publications (first published March 2002)

Brianna
This book is very clear and well-written, and if you are into this sort of thing, I think it is a very good book. Saying that, I didn't like it because I'm not interested in Immigration. It was interesting, though. I'm surprised at how badly America managed to screw up the natural flow of immigration patterns. Because of reading this book, I am convinced that we need to reform our immigration policies, because the way we are doing it now is ludicrous.
Dave
A great introduction to the history and problems with US immigration policy and Mexican migration. The authors have a unique sample-probably the best example to answer the questions they ask- though it's beset with a few problems of representation and size. Still a compelling argument rich with detail.
Marv Gunning
Apr 27, 2012 Marv Gunning rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marv by: for a class
Shelves: history, science, owned
Since the first day the United States formed, illegal immigration was pretty much ignored and in a lot of cases encouraged and tolerated by the public, business and government. This book asserts the present perceived border crisis and invasion panic is a manufactured political device.
Shubha
this book is a must-read about the history of mexico-US immigration. not a page turner (the writing is really not very engaging), but important and well-researched.
Sean Chick
Excellent work of policy, combining rational political science models with solid historical analysis.
Incredibly helpful. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about immigration.
Ana
Well written book and easy to understand.
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Desmond Rawls
Desmond Rawls marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Karen
Karen added it
Dec 05, 2013
Jordan T-f
Jordan T-f marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Edward
Edward added it
Nov 02, 2013
Nancy Saenz
Nancy Saenz is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System Strangers in a Strange Land: Humans in a Urbanizing World The Source of the River: The Social Origins of Freshmen at America's Selective Colleges and Universities New Faces in New Places: The Changing Geography of American Immigration