Start by marking “Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration” as Want to Read:
Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration

Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Migration between Mexico and the United States is part of a historical process of increasing North American integration. This process acquired new momentum with the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement in 1994, which lowered barriers to the movement of goods, capital, services, and information. But rather than include labor in this new regime, the United Stat ...more
Published September 11th 2003 by Russell Sage Foundation Publications (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Smoke and Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Smoke and Mirrors

Brianna
This book is very clear and well-written, and if you are into this sort of thing, I think it is a very good book. Saying that, I didn't like it because I'm not interested in Immigration. It was interesting, though. I'm surprised at how badly America managed to screw up the natural flow of immigration patterns. Because of reading this book, I am convinced that we need to reform our immigration policies, because the way we are doing it now is ludicrous.
Dave
A great introduction to the history and problems with US immigration policy and Mexican migration. The authors have a unique sample-probably the best example to answer the questions they ask- though it's beset with a few problems of representation and size. Still a compelling argument rich with detail.
Marv Gunning
Apr 27, 2012 Marv Gunning rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marv by: for a class
Shelves: history, science, owned
Since the first day the United States formed, illegal immigration was pretty much ignored and in a lot of cases encouraged and tolerated by the public, business and government. This book asserts the present perceived border crisis and invasion panic is a manufactured political device.
Shubha
this book is a must-read about the history of mexico-US immigration. not a page turner (the writing is really not very engaging), but important and well-researched.
Sean Chick
Excellent work of policy, combining rational political science models with solid historical analysis.
Incredibly helpful. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about immigration.
Ana
Well written book and easy to understand.
Jewel
Jewel is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Mark Fitzpatrick
Mark Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Shiba Diba
Shiba Diba marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Peteris Erins
Peteris Erins marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Canadian Council
Canadian Council marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Brittany
Brittany is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Jeffrieslngmail.com
Jeffrieslngmail.com is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
ShamSham
ShamSham marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System Strangers in a Strange Land: Humans in a Urbanizing World The Source of the River: The Social Origins of Freshmen at America's Selective Colleges and Universities Climbing Mount Laurel: The Struggle for Affordable Housing and Social Mobility in an American Suburb