Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia Helps Out” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia Helps Out

Amelia Bedelia Helps Out (Amelia Bedelia #8)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  5,987 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Helping hands

Amelia Bedelia brings her niece -- and her literal-minded zaniness -- to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. It's a good thing Miss Emma likes to laugh because Amelia Bedelia makes her usual merry mess!
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1979 by Greenwillow Books (first published September 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia Helps Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia Helps Out

Pamela
Nov 28, 2010 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Amelia Bedelia Helps Out" by Peggy Parish is a tremendously funny read...Amelia Bedelia was read so much while I was growing up...her character is such a big part of why reading was such an enjoyable activity back then...and still is.
In this particular episode, Amelia Bedelia is helping out around the house, and, in good 'ole Amelia Bedelia style, many of her chores are done all wrong. That is, everything except for the tea cake for Miss Emma's party. It turns out that, even through Amelia Bed
Alexis
I like Amelia Bedelia books. They are funny because Amelia Bedelia does stuff wrong, but things always workout. My favorite part in this book was when she put the steak and put it on the bean plants. This book was really good and I would like to try some tea cake sometime.
Ashley Barna
I have loved the Amelia Bedelia series of books since I was in elementary school. I have always thought she was such a hoot! Peggy Parish does an excellent job making up a character that grabs readers attention and keeps them laughing along the way. In this story, Amelia Bedelia Helps Out, she is asked to do many deeds. She needs to weed the garden, stake the beans, and even make a tea cake. Since Amelia Bedelia loves to make people happy, she does exactly what she is told. So, Amelia puts weeds ...more
Courtney Miles
Amelia Bedelia Helps Out is a humorous story written by Peggy Parish that tells of a young woman maid and her niece, Effie Lou, helping out her friend, Miss Emma, before her tea party. Throughout the story, Amelia is given many different directions by Miss Emma but misinterprets them in the wrong way and ends up doing almost the opposite of what Miss Emma wanted her to do. She is told to "stake the beans" and actually puts slices of steaks onto the beans. Miss Emma tells her to "weed the garden, ...more
Ashley M.
Summary for ECE2203
This book teaches a life lesson to all not to be rude to people when they do things wrong. Amelia is the maid a grand old house where she's assigned chores and duties to preform throughout the day. The lady of the house explains to Amelia each task she would like her to do and ask if she has any questions. Amelia replies that she can handle all these things with no problem and rushes the lady of the on her way. Amelia gets to work on the list of things to do, weed the garden w
Charmaine
Amelia Bedelia is a hilarious story about a young girl who is stuck with a list of chores to finish. Amelia misinterprets the chores and does the complete opposite of what the chore actually says. Throughout the story Amelia Bedelia is way to literal when it comes to completing the chores. As a teacher I would use this story to reinforce the importance of descriptive writing and also building upon characters. Characters are developed by using describing words that allow you to imagine the charac ...more
Kimberly

Starring everyone's favourite literal–minded housekeeper, Amelia Bedelia Helps Out appears for the first time in full colour and as an I Can Read Book!

A neighbor needs Amelia Bedelia's helping hands, so everyone's favorite housekeeper is off to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. It's a good thing Miss Emma likes to laugh, because Amelia Bedelia makes her usual merry mess!

" Available for the first time in full color!

" The zany antics of Amelia Bedelia, one of children's books most lovable char

Jazmine
reading this book is just a reminder of when i was little and my babysitter would read this to me. For starters the images in this book are quite detailed. I never realized this before but the language in this book is really kind of proper. They use in the dialogue "grand" and "fret" which wasn't what I was expecting. As you read this you get the sense that the author is trying to teach you about the importance of chores. The story is funny because they did every one of those chores wrong withou ...more
Von'trell James
Does the action escalate , Yes it does once you thought she couldn't do any more wrong she finds a way to go above an beyond wrong Amelia Bedelia is a long time favorite in this story she has a list of simple task that dosen't always get done the way your normal helper would do . this book brings laughs an smiles to any readers face i highly recommend this book to in young child . Teacher , Or parent.! this is a good read one to remember !
Ashley Hilton
Amelia Bedelia helps out is a funny book, and Is great for children to read. This will definitely keep them interested. This one is a bout a maid who has a few tasks that she needs to get done. She thinks she knows what she is supposed to do, but she takes everything so literal. She ties meat to the plants because she was asked to steak the plants. She adds weeds to the garden because she was asked to weed the garden. She was supposed to feed chicken scraps so she put old clothing scraps out for ...more
Mmouse
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Diana Pettis
Xander is big into the Amelia Bedelia series. I want to keep encouraging him to read it.
An Odd1
A neighbor needs Amelia Bedelia's helping hands, so everyone's favorite housekeeper is off to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. She makes a merry mess, then feeds delectable desserts to guests, here tea cake with pink icing. Amelia shows her niece Effie Lou how to follow instructions to the letter as they add big weeds, dust potato bugs, feed hens quilting square 'scraps', and sew grass seeds.
Juno
this book can get boring boring boring if you read it too much.
Emily
Amelia Bedelia is a housekeeper with her own way of doing things. Her greatest fault is that she is very literal--she does exactly as she is told. In this particular story, she is asked to help her neighbor and the usual antics ensue.

I loved Amelia Bedelia books as a child, and even today I think they are entertaining. This book is considered an "I Can Read Book" so it's a good choice for young readers. I think many children, like myself will delight in her zany approach to tasks and might even
Kathy
Funny story about how Amelia and Effie Lou help her Aunt, Miss Emma with her party preparations-- making a tea cake, sewing seeds, throwing scraps (quilting scraps) to the chickens, weeding the gardens (moving the big weeds to protect the other plants), staking the beans with steaks. Amelia takes everything literally, the humor might be missed by a few young readers.
Theresa
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Mr. Tedrow
kaitlyn
amelia bedilia and her littl niece effie lou have to come help mrs. emma take car of
her house and gardon. you can just imagene how messed up things get when amelia bedelia startes telling her niece what needs to be done! I really liked this book.
Jaime Contreras
Maids and parents all over the world can appreciate the humorous solutions to housecleaning that AB comes up with. This is a funny book. My girls wanted to try her methods. Thank goodness, they did not. Though there are some times ....
Tricia
typical amelia bedelia...confusing the words to help children learn in this title showing her at work with her niece at miss emma's. truth be told, i tire a bit of her shenanigans but understand why the children do not.
Melissa
I really liked this when I was little. I think I could still appreciate it, since our family has always been quite literal. :) I especially liked the part about the coffee and tea cakes and feeding scraps to chickens.
Seth
I read these books when I was a child, and still have memories of the stupid tales that make me smile. These books are great if you have a child in the family--even more so if you are a child at heart.
Haley
This is a very humorous book about an aunt that takes everything literally. This would be a great book for children to laugh at and fall in love with the character Amelia Bedelia
Kapra McMichael
Amelia Bedelia takes everything so literally. In this book, Amelia helps out a friend in need. This book is good for teaching kids to help others.
Willow
I'm working on entering all the books I've ever read. This book was one of them. It's a children's book. I read this book a long time ago.
Sheila
More fun with Amelia Bedelia. This is another of the original Peggy Parish Amelia Bedelia stories, all of which my daughter greatly enjoyed.
Baranie
Nov 03, 2007 Baranie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults who read to 4 to 7 year olds
Mt kids think this realistic take on chores is so funny. They understand the humor and it makes me think of all the funny way we express things.
Brandy
Another childhood favorite - Amelia Bedelia may goof stuff up royally, but you have to forgive her when she makes delicious nut and "tea" cakes! :)
  • Amelia Bedelia 4 Mayor
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • Best Friends for Frances
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
  • Just a Bad Day (Little Golden Book)
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...
Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower Come Back, Amelia Bedelia Good Work, Amelia Bedelia Thank You, Amelia Bedelia