Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia Helps Out” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia Helps Out

Amelia Bedelia Helps Out (Amelia Bedelia #8)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  7,461 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Helping hands

Amelia Bedelia brings her niece -- and her literal-minded zaniness -- to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. It's a good thing Miss Emma likes to laugh because Amelia Bedelia makes her usual merry mess!
Published September 1st 1979 by Greenwillow Books (first published September 1st 1963)

Courtney
Apr 09, 2017 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this story book as a child, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this to my children.
Amelia Bedelia is still just as funny as she is to me now as when I was younger.
Truly a wonderful book to read to your children!
Alexis
Oct 02, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Amelia Bedelia books. They are funny because Amelia Bedelia does stuff wrong, but things always workout. My favorite part in this book was when she put the steak and put it on the bean plants. This book was really good and I would like to try some tea cake sometime.
Pamela
Nov 23, 2010 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
"Amelia Bedelia Helps Out" by Peggy Parish is a tremendously funny read...Amelia Bedelia was read so much while I was growing up...her character is such a big part of why reading was such an enjoyable activity back then...and still is.
In this particular episode, Amelia Bedelia is helping out around the house, and, in good 'ole Amelia Bedelia style, many of her chores are done all wrong. That is, everything except for the tea cake for Miss Emma's party. It turns out that, even through Amelia Bed
Stacy Fetters
Sep 20, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess having a screw loose runs in the family. Or maybe they should hire a tutor.
Amelia and her niece team up together to get chores done before the ladies arrive. Cake is what always saves Amelia. Might want to stick with that.
Also found out my book is signed by Peggy Parish.. time to freak out!!!
Mallory
Dec 29, 2015 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I have such good memories from this book. I laughed and laughed at the silly mistakes Amelia Bedelia would make, some of which stay fresh in my mind!
Bethany
Being familiar with the series made this book very predictable but it was also entertaining and easy to follow along.
Jessica
Jan 17, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I don't see how Amelia Bedelia keeps a job haha
Ashley M.
Summary for ECE2203
This book teaches a life lesson to all not to be rude to people when they do things wrong. Amelia is the maid a grand old house where she's assigned chores and duties to preform throughout the day. The lady of the house explains to Amelia each task she would like her to do and ask if she has any questions. Amelia replies that she can handle all these things with no problem and rushes the lady of the on her way. Amelia gets to work on the list of things to do, weed the garden w
Kayla Williamson
Oct 27, 2016 Kayla Williamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
When I was younger we used to read Amelia Bedelia every day first thing when we got to school, my teacher used to call it our "warm up" book. She always told us why it was wrong what Amelia was doing. One of my favorite Amelia Bedelia book is when she was being a substitute teacher. The reason I love this so much is because my favorite line from all the books is when she was supposed to call roll and she got a roll out of a students lunch box, sat the roll in the middle of the aisle way, went to ...more
Courtney Miles
Oct 22, 2012 Courtney Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
Amelia Bedelia Helps Out is a humorous story written by Peggy Parish that tells of a young woman maid and her niece, Effie Lou, helping out her friend, Miss Emma, before her tea party. Throughout the story, Amelia is given many different directions by Miss Emma but misinterprets them in the wrong way and ends up doing almost the opposite of what Miss Emma wanted her to do. She is told to "stake the beans" and actually puts slices of steaks onto the beans. Miss Emma tells her to "weed the garden, ...more
Charmaine
Amelia Bedelia is a hilarious story about a young girl who is stuck with a list of chores to finish. Amelia misinterprets the chores and does the complete opposite of what the chore actually says. Throughout the story Amelia Bedelia is way to literal when it comes to completing the chores. As a teacher I would use this story to reinforce the importance of descriptive writing and also building upon characters. Characters are developed by using describing words that allow you to imagine the charac ...more
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Starring everyone's favourite literal–minded housekeeper, Amelia Bedelia Helps Out appears for the first time in full colour and as an I Can Read Book!

A neighbor needs Amelia Bedelia's helping hands, so everyone's favorite housekeeper is off to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. It's a good thing Miss Emma likes to laugh, because Amelia Bedelia makes her usual merry mess!

" Available for the first time in full color!

" The zany antics of Amelia Bedelia, one of children's books most lovable char

Ashley Barna
Apr 16, 2012 Ashley Barna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
I have loved the Amelia Bedelia series of books since I was in elementary school. I have always thought she was such a hoot! Peggy Parish does an excellent job making up a character that grabs readers attention and keeps them laughing along the way. In this story, Amelia Bedelia Helps Out, she is asked to do many deeds. She needs to weed the garden, stake the beans, and even make a tea cake. Since Amelia Bedelia loves to make people happy, she does exactly what she is told. So, Amelia puts weeds ...more
Cheyenne Gribbins
Amelia Bedelia is off to Miss Emma's house to help with some housekeeping. Amelia is a people pleaser, and does exactly as she is told. She must stake the beans, weed the garden, and make a tea cake. The mishap Amelia commits is taking everything literally as it sounds. So Amelia puts steak pieces into the beans, adds more weeds to the garden, and makes cake with tea in it. Luckily, Miss Emma has a humorous side and doesn't get upset with Amelia Bedelia.

In the cover of the story, Amelia Bedelia
Jazmine
Sep 06, 2012 Jazmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reading this book is just a reminder of when i was little and my babysitter would read this to me. For starters the images in this book are quite detailed. I never realized this before but the language in this book is really kind of proper. They use in the dialogue "grand" and "fret" which wasn't what I was expecting. As you read this you get the sense that the author is trying to teach you about the importance of chores. The story is funny because they did every one of those chores wrong withou ...more
Ashley Hilton
Amelia Bedelia helps out is a funny book, and Is great for children to read. This will definitely keep them interested. This one is a bout a maid who has a few tasks that she needs to get done. She thinks she knows what she is supposed to do, but she takes everything so literal. She ties meat to the plants because she was asked to steak the plants. She adds weeds to the garden because she was asked to weed the garden. She was supposed to feed chicken scraps so she put old clothing scraps out for ...more
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 Mmouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Alexandria
I normally love Amelia Bedelia books, and read this one to my four year old charge as a way to introduce him to the series. But for some reason this one was just overly repetitive. It might have been the presence of Amelia's niece. The two of them shared some very stilted dialogue that made the book less enjoyable. There is no rule that says the dialogue in a child's book has to be choppy, but it seems to be a trend in the older books.

I will be bringing more Amelia Bedelia books for the boys, bu
Emily
Nov 03, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia is a housekeeper with her own way of doing things. Her greatest fault is that she is very literal--she does exactly as she is told. In this particular story, she is asked to help her neighbor and the usual antics ensue.

I loved Amelia Bedelia books as a child, and even today I think they are entertaining. This book is considered an "I Can Read Book" so it's a good choice for young readers. I think many children, like myself will delight in her zany approach to tasks and might even
Von'trell James
Jun 03, 2014 Von'trell James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does the action escalate , Yes it does once you thought she couldn't do any more wrong she finds a way to go above an beyond wrong Amelia Bedelia is a long time favorite in this story she has a list of simple task that dosen't always get done the way your normal helper would do . this book brings laughs an smiles to any readers face i highly recommend this book to in young child . Teacher , Or parent.! this is a good read one to remember !
Rosa Cline
Jan 27, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, spring
Amelia Bedelia is a one of a kind lady that likes to help clean up houses and do whatever she can to lend a hand. BUT her way of thinking and other peoples way of thinking doesn't always come out the same in the end. In this book she has her little niece helping her out and they giggle and laugh through their tasks only to find out that the 'tea cake' that neither one has ever heard of turns out to be the hit of the party! And her host isn't so mad at her after all...
Melissa Trumbo
I forgot how much I liked this book series. Amelia Bedelia is back with Effie Lou to help do some chores for a neighbor. Hilarious interpretations are had by Amelia as she misunderstands what Miss Emma wants her to do. The illustrations are simple but help explain the comedy in the story. A great beginner reader book for first and second graders.
An Odd1
Sep 05, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neighbor needs Amelia Bedelia's helping hands, so everyone's favorite housekeeper is off to Miss Emma's house for a day of work. She makes a merry mess, then feeds delectable desserts to guests, here tea cake with pink icing. Amelia shows her niece Effie Lou how to follow instructions to the letter as they add big weeds, dust potato bugs, feed hens quilting square 'scraps', and sew grass seeds.
Kathy
Funny story about how Amelia and Effie Lou help her Aunt, Miss Emma with her party preparations-- making a tea cake, sewing seeds, throwing scraps (quilting scraps) to the chickens, weeding the gardens (moving the big weeds to protect the other plants), staking the beans with steaks. Amelia takes everything literally, the humor might be missed by a few young readers.
Tricia
typical amelia bedelia...confusing the words to help children learn in this title showing her at work with her niece at miss emma's. truth be told, i tire a bit of her shenanigans but understand why the children do not.
Mr. Tedrow
kaitlyn
amelia bedilia and her littl niece effie lou have to come help mrs. emma take car of
her house and gardon. you can just imagene how messed up things get when amelia bedelia startes telling her niece what needs to be done! I really liked this book.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Barbara Bir
Sep 03, 2016 Barbara Bir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Waack
This book is about Amelia helping out with different chores around the house while Mr. Rogers is out. They weed the garden by adding more weeds to it, and make a tea cake by mixing a cake and tea together.
Melissa
Sep 30, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
I really liked this when I was little. I think I could still appreciate it, since our family has always been quite literal. :) I especially liked the part about the coffee and tea cakes and feeding scraps to chickens.
  • Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • Just a Bad Day (Little Golden Book)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • Best Friends for Frances
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia
  • Good Work Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Level 2)
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia