Start by marking “The Curate of Glaston” as Want to Read:
The Curate of Glaston

The Curate of Glaston

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A lost legacy, startling secrets, life-changing love...Previously released as The Curate's Awakening, The Lady's Confession, and The Baron's Apprenticeship. This unforgettable trilogy depicts the spiritual awakening of curate, Thomas Wingfold, and the lives of those he touches: Surgeon Paul Faber believes in nothing but his own goodness until a beautiful patient reveals he ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Curate of Glaston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curate of Glaston

Kate Cochran stephens
All of the books in the Thomas Wingfold series (there are three) are in my opinion some of the best examples of fiction in history. The Curate of Glaston is a classic. I don't know why more scholars/teachers do not recommend this book, except maybe some disagree with the "religious" overtones. This story is all about redemption and transformation and pain. George MacDonald is such a gifted writer and weaves truth into all of this novels. I cannot speak more highly of this volume.
Ron
Classic Gearge MacDonald, updated for modern, American readers. Books one and two are perhaps stronger than the third story.
Vivian
England and Western Europe are at the threshold of what is now dubbed "The Gilded Age", which the "Progressive Era" will follow hot on its heels. MacDonald, a contemporary of this time, puts pen to the pendulum swing of Christianity during this time of change.

Bascombe, a student of law, gives voice to the new "liberating" atheistic movement. Bascombe's well-off and comely lady cousin resides in the parish of Glaston, which gives him reason to visit there often. She lives with their elderly aunt,
Elisha Andres
My favourite for sure. totally loved this one!! :)
Deb
Dec 28, 2014 Deb added it
enjoyed this one
Jessica Brown
really surprising
kingfisher
Incredibly under-read, George MacDonald was a mentor to CS Lewis. The three stories in this edition portray outstanding Christian characters, unusual twists and incredible spiritual insight. Even though the stories were written long ago the themes in these stories are suprisingly relevant for today.
Ruth
So far I like this book best of all his books. It deals with whether or not there is a God and if Jesus was real. It also has a character who is an atheist and a Darwinist, which I really found surprising because I thought he came after George Macdonald. In any case, this is a great book!!
Beth
I love MacDonald because he helps me think about and question some things in my faith. The first book in this trilogy is about a curate who is awakened out of his passivity to doubt, and then his true faith.

There is some good food for thought in this book, along with a great story.
Lizette Valles
This is a trilogy written by a theologian/storyteller with a deep understanding of God's love and grace. His characters are well developed and they present humanity as it is-lost without a relationship with the living God.
Mike
I have read the first book in this series (The Curate's Awakening). It was very good. The characters were engaging, the situations true to faithful experience. It was a fun read.
Jcmwilson
I have read two of the three novels in this book. They are excellent but slow reading as there is so much to think about in each book. They contain very deep spiritual thoughts.
Angela
I like George McDonalds books - they are a little more difficult for me to read and so stretch my mind. :)
Allison
This is a volume of 3 of Macdonald's books. I am currently reading the last one. They are super good.
Stacey
I love MacDonald! It is too rich to begin to summarize.
Ashley Schaeffer
Ashley Schaeffer is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Johan D
Johan D marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Rachel Marie
Rachel Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Ellen
Ellen added it
Jul 19, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Suzi Eaton
Suzi Eaton marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Cavyn
Cavyn is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • Hold Tight the Thread
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Guns of Thunder (Faith and Freedom #1)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • All the Tea in China
  • 10 Secrets of the LaidBack Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn, and Life
  • The Fisherman
  • Why I Am a Christian
  • Rainbow Garden
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as W. H. Auden, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. It was C.S. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I be
More about George MacDonald...
The Princess and the Goblin The Princess and Curdie Phantastes At the Back of the North Wind The Light Princess

“Afflictions are but the shadow of His wings.” 1 likes