Start by marking “Florian's Gate” as Want to Read:
Florian's Gate

Florian's Gate (Priceless Collection #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  51 reviews
As the main entrance to the medieval city of Cracow, Poland, centuries of history have passed through Florian's Gate. But for Alexander Kantor, now a successful antiques dealer in London, the place holds only one memory. It was here that he was arrested by the Nazis as a young man. There he passed from freedom to imprisonment; there began a lifetime of challenges to his he ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Florian's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Florian's Gate

Stephen
Book 1 of priceless series. Somewhat mysterious characters who have suffered and witnessed great suffering. The destruction of virtue in Poland by the Nazis is repaired only at a great cost to individuals and nations. The book has spiritual depth and is touching on the nature of suffering and recovery. Been to Florians Gate and the marketplace as described is still there.
Pat
I don't think I've read anything by the author that I didn't like. This was a great story about a couple of antique dealers who find faith in Jesus. It's also a story with a lot of history--Poland, Auschwitz, the end of World War II. What are the stories of each character that they are so reluctant to tell, but when they do, their world changes for them? I definitely want to read more of the series!
CarolynB
I'm trying to decide if I liked this book or not. It is very compelling, and at times I thought I'd stop reading it, but I just couldn't. The story is about a young man who finds himself in a new vocation--one he didn't know a thing about in the beginning. He is given the opportunity to learn the antique business from a relative. He finds he loves the work and is quite good at it. His travels to Poland bring him face to face with the results of the reigns of terror of Stalin and Hitler. It's not ...more
Honeybee
Enter the world of a budding antique dealer and learn some of the history of Eastern Europe, while you are at it! This book was a bit plodding at times and could be considered too much information for someone not interested in old and rare items. However, it was interesting--particularly the parts that talked about post-World War II Poland and East Germany. Especially heart-wrenching was the description of Auschwitz from the viewpoint of a former prisoner.

It took longer than necessary, I think,
Jill
I really enjoyed the glimpse of history in the book. I learned so much about Poland and its sad history. The antiques were fascinating, and the various stories included in the plot were delightful.
Kristen Joy Wilks
I love this book. It changed me when I read it as a young woman. This book made me look at other countries around the world not as backward and forward or right and wrong, but as places with people just like me, although the government is different. I grew because of this book. One of the few book that I truly love that doesn't have a clear and distinct plot, this has more of a literary feel. The author does not pound you over the head with Bible verses, he lets you explore God. I appreciate the ...more
Pauline
Using true stories from his wife's family members, Davis Bunn weaves an interesting historical fiction novel that centered in London and Poland. I learned a lot about antiques and Poland while reading an interesting story as well. Sometimes the book's story line slowed down too much in order to get the family stories he wanted to tell included, but usually that was not too distracting and kept my interest. This was a unique way to share Poland's history and words from the people. Bunn wrote of t ...more
Anne Baxter Campbell
I have to give him this: that Davis Bunn knows how to write. His descriptions are vivid and put you right into the place and action. Fast paced and intriguing, particularly if you love antiques and history!

Jeffrey Sinclair, a young American bored with his job, is suddenly offered a dream job by an obscure and slightly scandalous uncle, Alexander Kantor. Kantor has a prosperous antique business in London, and he wants to be free to travel. After teaching his nephew the ropes, he leaves for parts
Pat
I know little of the antique business, but Florian’s Gate gave me a glimpse into the world of antique trading that piqued my interest from the start of the book. Jeffrey Sinclair takes a job at a London antique shop, where he learns the business and tries to figure out the mysterious nature of his boss, Alexander Kantor. He finds himself more and more attracted to the lovely Katya, who keeps him at a distance.

Jeffrey’s position takes him to Europe, where he not only seeks valuable antiques, but
Debbie
" Florian's Gate gets 4 stars from me. This book was hard from me to decided what rating to give it as at first I thought it was to much details but as I got more into the book I understood why all the details and some of it was really interesting. This book deals with Poland and antiques.
Jeffrey Sinclair is hired by Alexander Kantor, a relative, to assist him in his antiques shop. But why is Alexander' trips and where the antiques come from such a mystery. One day while Alexander is gone away
Angela
I won’t lie: It took me a while to get into this book—in fact, I’d almost given up on it—but once I started to know the characters, I couldn’t put it down. The book (the first in a trilogy) follows Jeffrey as he works in London as an antiques dealer. I won’t give away too much of the plot, but I was hooked when the setting moved from London (although I loved reading about England—it really made me want to go back to visit) to Eastern Europe. I should note that the book was published in 1992, not ...more
Melina
This book was okay, it is not what I usually read. It gives a lot of detail about antiques and Poland right after the "iron curtain" was removed. I didn't know a lot about this time in history, and I found it interesting to read about. I found this book a little hard for me to understand at times, and for me it was a little tedious also. Don't get me wrong, it is a good book with a very good faith element to it. The characters are all likable and their struggles are believable.

Jeffrey is an Ame
Lisa Johnson
Title: Florian’s Gate (The Priceless Collection #1)
Author: Davis Bunn
Pages: 333
Year: 2013 (re-release date); original year of publication 1992
Publisher: Hendrickson Publishers
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
Florian’s Gate is the first book in “The Priceless Collection” series by Davis Bunn; it has also been released before in 1992. The setting is London and Poland shortly after the Berlin Wall has fallen. The main characters are Jeffre
Tima
Jeffery is bored with his current job. So when a relative offers him a job in London, he jumps at the chance. Alexander Kanton owns an antique shop and needs someone to run it for him while he spends his time on buying trips. Jeffery falls in love with his job. When the shop gets busy he hires a woman named Katya to help. But everyone has secrets and those secrets might lead Jeffery back to the God he abandoned.

This was a very difficult book for me to review. I just couldn't get interested no m
Marlene
I am very happy to say that I have the opportunity to attend the Northwest Christian Writers Renewal conference next month, especially since I just finished Florian's Gate by the keynote speaker, T. Davis Bunn. The book is very good, and the conference will be wonderful. I can't wait! http://nwchristianwriters.org/Renewal...
Kay
Excellent, well-researched novel. Multi-layered plot with great characters. An adventure of integrity into the lives and minds of a down-trodden, but stalwart people. This story provides many scenes for contemplation. I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy ruminating over history and human character as they read.
Jo
Florian's Gate by Davis Bunn, Hendrickson, 2013, 333 pages. Davis Bunn writes an intriguing story with a blend of contemporary and history. The intrigue comes when Alexander Kantor searches, under the cover of secrecy, for valuable antiques in Europe. His nephew Jeffrey works for him and learns the trade well enough for Alexander to send Jeffrey on searches for antique pieces. That's when Jeffrey learns the truth behind Alexander's trips to Europe. Jeffrey is attracted to his assistant, Katya. T ...more
Wendy
I enjoyed this book enough to buy the next two in this trilogy. I learned a lot about the situation in Poland after the war. This story dealt with the furniture and paintings that were hidden from the Nazis.
Betty Box
A,history novel

Great history lesson and novel. Story starts slow but grows as you read. the history makes it more
interesting. you can tell a lot of research went into this book..
Linda
I tried, I really did. There was way to much detail about antiques and the set up went on and on. I have no idea what the plot was. Was there a plot? I didn't ever get to it.
Annie Wojcicki
I read this book years ago and plan to read it again as I didn't know it was part of a series. This book is about an antique dealer who goes on a trip (per his boss's request) to Poland to get antiques that people had hidden away for many years to to the war(s). The history of Poland is fascinating, although it could be just a might tedious a times. The stories the antique dealer unveils from each household he visits are amazing and incredibly sad yet joyful at the same time. I will update my re ...more
Phyllis C
Ok, but too much time spent hunting antiques.
Marie
this book will make you interested about antiques and history. It will also make you reflect a lot about life.
Trudy E
It has been some time since I had read anything by Mr. Bunn, and I can only say that each book is better than the last. I'm not sure what I expected when I started this book, but it was much deeper than I anticipated. The prospect of reading about a character who shares a love of antiques was what attracted me, and the characters and settings caught and held me captive til the end. I am looking forward to reading the other two books in the set, as well as additional works by this author. Well do ...more
Morag
Amazing story - Fabulous characters - wonderful plot!!! A superb author!
Lila
At times I had to reread to comprehend details about subjects I have been unfamiliar with, such as buying of high-end antiques, Poland and its people, extreme poverty and suffering due to governmental takeovers, and utter disregard for human lives. But these topics were woven so well into a story about real people that one really wanted to learn from it. Along with these historic details was a strong message about becoming a Christian and trusting in God through it all.
Stephanie Blake
With my personal love for Christianity, Poland and antiques, this novel was a perfect read! T. Davis Bunn is an excellent story teller, gets his facts straight and honors Christ.
Rachel Berkowitz
An easy read, narrative weak and plot predictable, but paints beautiful landscapes of countries and people. Made me want to go see the places in the story. Interesting characters. An American goes to work for Polish Survivor in London, becomes prodigy in the London antique-dealership who finds adventure as he travels deep into post-soviet Eastern Europe searching for antiques. Could do without the religious-faith narratives.
Olivia Rooney
Other then sometimes the numerous details about a furniture piece, this book was really good. I liked how it is wrapped around the life's of people during WW2, showing their pain and hardship they endured.
Karen Christie worline
Although engaging and essentially well written, I found the story going nowhere despite the characters moving around. On the bright side, I learned a lot about 20th Century Poland - fascinating! But, seriously, this book should be advertised as Evangelical Christian - nothing hidden about the desire to save.
  • Lion of Babylon
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Maiden of Mayfair (Tales of London #1)
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • Ransomed Dreams
  • Daughter of the Loom (Bells of Lowell, #1)
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • Through the Fire
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Priceless Collection (3 books)
  • The Amber Room
  • Winter Palace (Priceless Collection)
The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith, #1) The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2) The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3) Lion of Babylon All Through the Night