Start by marking “Writing Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Writing Short Stories

Ailsa Cox

Writing Short Stories

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Ideal for those new to the genre or for anyone who wishes to improve their technique, Ailsa Cox s guide will help readers achieve their full potential as a short story writer. The book encourages you to be inventive, to break writing habits and to try something new, by showing the diversity of the short story genre, from cyberpunk to social observation. Each chapter of the ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Routledge (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Short Stories

Isadora Wagner
Seems like an interesting read: This book came up in one of my weekly search-haunts on all writers ghostly and strange. This time, I was researching Edith Wharton and Elizabeth Bowen, trying to pin down if I had heard, or not, that the two women writers, both of whom wrote GREAT(!) ghost stories, were friends. An e-text of Cox's book came up on Amazon, and at first I thought, "Terrific. Another how-to book on writing by a writer I never heard of..." but then before I bailed, Guy du Maupassant's ...more
E DB
This book is really good beginning text for novice short story writers (I fall into this category). The book covers many of the classic techniques covered in short story writing classes (the epiphany, for example), sampling works from Chekov to JG Ballard to Borges. The author also sites useful examples from recent (but lesser-known) authors, adding a nice contemporary touch to a book relatively traditional in its approach.

All in all, I think this is a useful text for someone who wants a thoroug
Sue
I was disappointed in this book. It looks in turn at several genres of short story. But instead of focusing on character-building and plot development, it basically gives extensive examples of how other authors have written in the various genres. The examples given are fairly literary and mostly rather dark, even those labelled humorous; not the kind of thing that appealed to me at all. There were a lot of exercises at the end of each chapter, none of which were remotely appealing.

For someone wh
Judy
Probably a good book, but I never got into it really - may give it another try some time. I meant to start writing short stories but haven't done anything about it!
Carys
I found the exercises very helpful and wrote what I consider to be my best story to date after completing an exercise at the end of a chapter.
Titus Hjelm
Less 'literary' than I anticipated, but a refreshing read, anyway.
D.
Writing Short Stories by Ailsa Cox (2005)
Magnus
Magnus marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
C.A. Hawksmoor
C.A. Hawksmoor marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Mesut
Mesut added it
Apr 02, 2015
Delali Connell
Delali Connell marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Poppy
Poppy added it
Mar 14, 2015
Robert Gooding
Robert Gooding marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Tomas
Tomas marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Janidomi
Janidomi marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Rehab Hawary
Rehab Hawary is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Han Fah
Han Fah marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Alice Munro The Real Louise No Problemo Teaching the Short Story Teaching the Short Story