Unreal! (Uncollected)

Unreal! (Uncollected)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  957 ratings  ·  38 reviews
See alternate cover edition here

A reunion of bones. An irresistible kisser. Wonder underpants. Cow-dung custard. It's all a bit much really! This is a brilliant collection of funny, weird and wacky short stories with strange endings from the award-winning Paul Jennings.
Paperback
Published by Puffin (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Unreal!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unreal!

Kasha
Use a little caution when reading this book...

I had to give it 4 stars because I was so impressed with how well it captured my sons attention. This book consists of 8 short stories that are divided up into little chapters, so it's ideal for kids with a short attention span.

I would definetly recommend 4 of the short stories, there are some possible problems with the other short stories I will talk about.

Each short story with my review is as follows.

Without a shirt-involves a skeleton so could be...more
Sally
I re-read this as part of the 24-hour read-a-thon on Sunday. It was book #6 :)

One of the best by far of the un-books.

* Without a Shirt - it's "without my pants" in the TV series. Lots of fun! I love when the leg hops into the classroom and the teacher gives him a 10 on the speech :D

* The Strap Box Flyer - one of my absolute favourites. The ending is just so delicious! Oh but poor Mrs. Tibbs and her china horse always makes me want to cry :(

* Skeleton on the Dunny - I forgot that the reason he ev...more
Tim M-m
This book is great,

Paul Jennings's is probably my favorite author at the minute. this book is filled with fun short stories. It is great because you can read one short story in the space of a school lesson.

1. this is a book written by a author I have already read
2.I decided to read it because I love Paul's books and I thought I could give this one a try.
3.I like this book because of the zany and whacky short stories
4.I loved every part of it so there is nothing I hated.
5.I learn t from this boo...more
 Charlie - A Reading Machine Blog
Quirky tales for Paul Jennings. These books got me through a few of my awkward years I tell you. Even kids in these stories is the underdog or the want you want to cheer for. There is often twists and turns in every story and he also has a way with coming up with a killer ending. For 7 to 13 year olds.
Susan
Considering that I NEVER re read books and this is one I constantly re read says something about this story.

Recommended to anyone either with kids or just wanting light reading for a bit of fun or a laugh. The stories are nonsensical, a little whimsical, and humorous particularly without a shirt (though don't get your kids on them or this phrase you will hear repeated Ovre and over and over and over till you burn the book!). They're actually kind of intelligent though not in the sense of you'll...more
Randy
"Unreal" is a collection of 8 bizarre short stories intended, I think for young "tween" readers. I read these stories to my oldest three children (11, 8, and 5) at night before going to bed. They loved them. The stories are bizarre and funny, and we still joke about some of them (e.g., "cow dung custard" brings out giggles in my kids).

The books are pretty clean, but every once in a while I do a little real-time editing as I read them. There are several books in the series. "Unreal" was the first...more
Caleb
uhiyudgjahisikpo[
Ayush
its a funny book for someone who has started reading books
Tracey
Another great short story book from paul jennings this bok captivated my son and myself. We both thought it was great. how does Paul Jennings come up with such funny crazy stuff. Well i don't know but we don't complain because it's amazing.

It's unreal....
The Flies were up to my armpits
and they were still falling.
I was scared out of my wits.
I didn't want to drown in a sea of flies.
It's a bit really.
A reubion of bones.
The irresistable kisser.
Wonder underpants.
Cow-dung castard.
What I learned from this book is to (in this case) judge the book by its cover. Paul Jennings writes great children’s books, I remember always reading them with enthusiasm, but they remain children’s books. 10 years later the spark seems to have gone and the Australian (Jennings) seems to have upset me with an extremely odd way of putting forward a story. Amazing books for kids and their imaginations, not so amazing for the adults I’m afraid.
Rachel
I loved Paul Jennings when I was a kid! I remember reading a story from Unreal out at school assembly. I hated public speaking and it was horrible LOL but I was such a good reader that I got picked. All the other kids always read Roald Dahl stories but I preferred Jennings, because he was silly and weird. I still have my collection of his books.
Henry
I love this book!! Great funny stories about gross and funny. It was the first Paul Jennigs book iv'e read and it was amazing. I was laughing at probably every story. If you like funny books then i suggest this book to you and you might not always read a whole book because your so lazy so you can just read like 1 or 2 of the sories in this book.
Braedon Schache
This book fits into the 3 short stories written by the same author category. That author is Paul Jennings. I decided to read it because as a kid I always liked to hear my teacher read stories and he is a good author. I liked it because the stories were short but really entertaining. I would recommend this book to people under 13.
Michelle
Oh man, I love these stories! More childhood reading that I'd gladly pick up again. "Unreal" in particular has some of my favorite stories by Paul Jennings - Without a Shirt, Cow-dung Custard, and Smart Ice-Cream. He's the master of a plot twist and a great gross-out gag.
Alexis
this book is has lts of great stories and great charcters! my favorite story is about a guy that wanted his first kiss so a fortune teller gave him clear lip balm and when he goes on a field trip he gets pushed in to a momma pig pen and...you can guess what happens!!
Samantha
Absolutely love this book. I first started reading Paul Jennings books when I was eight and I still enjoy reading them to this day.

All of the stories in this book are amazingly written and have twists so you never know where it's heading!
Ryan
One of my favorite and first short story books.

However I personally think that this book is aimed at younger readers as the stories inside includes ghosts and underwear.

Paul Jennings books are very unique especially this book.
Rowan MacBean
I first read this when I was in the sixth grade and I LOVED it. More than fifteen years later, it doesn't really hold up. But I can still definitely see why my 11- or 12-year-old self was so enamored.
Hilary
Jennings is the Australian version of Rod Serling. This collection of "grossies" is not particularly scary -- but tweens will enjoy them. I particularly liked the story of "Lucky Lips."
Ruby
oh man. I loved all the "Un" Paul Jennings books. I used to lie in bed and read them from start to finish! Unmentionable, Uncanny, Unbearable...
Emma
Paul Jennings was a favourite Child's Author of mine. I very much enjoyed his 'un' series, when I was around 7-9.
Jess Dietcookie
Amusing, funny easy to read and pick up and down at any time. Fits into add breaks and short train and bus rides.
Keiko Chance
Wohoo,, this book is awesome i love this book, this is maybe my second favourite book, i love this book..
Lewis Urquhart
It was a great book. It was Interesting and made me want to read more books by Paul Jennings.
Khush
Without A Shirt

The story is about a boy who should always end a sentence with "without a shirt".
Lynne
Read this with our kids as bedtime stories on holiday. Excellent short stories!
Lisa
Great children's book. I read this in 4th grade and loved it!
Nicole Sandford
Cool little stories each one better than the next... Year 7 or 8.
Nat :)  Zach
I like this book because it is very exciting, sad, happy and scary!
Desiree *Primrose*
Creepy, weird, gross, freaky, hilarious, unreal
good book
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • Blinky Bill
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Blabber Mouth
  • Just Disgusting!
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Wombat Stew
  • My Place
  • Thunderwith
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Galax-Arena
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Possum Magic
Paul Jennings was born in Heston near London, and at the age of 6 emigrated to Melbourne, Australia on a boat. He was on the boat for 5 weeks with his family. He attended Bentleigh West Primary School and Caulfield Grammar School.

After graduating from school, he went to Frankston Teachers College (now part of Monash University) and became a teacher. He taught students at Frankston State School, Ka...more
More about Paul Jennings...
Uncanny! (Uncollected) Unbelievable! (Uncollected) Unbearable! (Uncollected) The Gizmo (Gizmo, #1) Unmentionable! (Uncollected)