Start by marking “Genesis” as Want to Read:
Genesis

Genesis

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The human race is running out of time on overcrowded Earth, and only one man has the courage to save it. Colony ship Ark is the greatest project the human race will ever attempt, a self contained world one hundred years in the building, launched on a ten thousand year voyage to carry the seeds of civilization to the stars. It is humanity's final gamble for escape from a de ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Baen Books (first published 2007)

David Erickson
Jul 05, 2013 David Erickson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy political intrigue and a vast attention to detail.
Recommended to David by: I picked it up at a used book sale
4/5ths of the novel deals with the politics and technological breakthroughs of building a colony ship that would last 10,000 years - long enough to reach a distant star. The remainder is about life aboard a closed environment that has a small contingent of technicians and a much larger society of farmers drawn from a fundamentalist religious sect called the Believers. This is really two stories, one dovetailed into the next.

I have serious mixed feelings about this novel. On the one hand, Paul wr
Gendou
I really liked this book.
From time to time I was grew tired of the religion theme, but the hard science fiction kept me thinking.
My favorite parts were the stages of technical planning, and the space elevator.
I also enjoyed the second half of the book, which focused on a generation of people born on the Ark.
For me, the characters were pretty engaging, which is high praise for a hard science fiction book.

I read someone's review calling this book a whining rant against religion.
This is a realistic
Evan
Aug 04, 2012 Evan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are plenty of writers who possess the depth of empathy to write believable characters who don't share their worldview. Paul Chafe isn't one of them. While I appreciated the attempt to write about future humans in all of their complexity -- particularly when most hard scifi implausibly imagines future humans as robotically areligious -- Chafe completely fails to paint anything but a caricature of religious belief. His "Believers" are either cynical political brinksmen, manipulating religion ...more
Chris Maguire
Terrific. It drags a little at the end when the story looses all of it's science, but it's still great fiction. I'd love to take a tour of the ark with an Oculus Rift; I feel like I've already been. I'd like to have read more about mining on the moon or using asteroids after the cable was set up; even just more of the development of the ark and the possibilities opened up by a space elevator. In fact, I'd think that earth would use the ark as a temporary base to establish a moon colony: given wh ...more
Clay Rylee
Aug 17, 2012 Clay Rylee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genesis by Paul Chafe was an interesting read. The story really take place in three major parts following three main characters over a period of about 350 years. It tells the story of the Ark, Humanities first interstealler generation ship and the struggles to get it built as well as the inner strife that comes from the people that populate it after it's launch. Because of the way that time flows in this novel it did feel a bit disjointed moving from one time frame to the next but that still was ...more
Mic
May 23, 2009 Mic rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, recommended
This book conflicted me - midway through it I was ready to give it a five, by the end I wanted to give it a three because of the utterly insipid ending.

Nice idea, good writing, struggled at the finish as the author simply threw up his hands and admitted he didn't know what to do with it.

Bizarrely, I think too much was crammed into the one book. Unlike most, in which a series is one decent book that got stretched WAY beyond what it deserved, this ihas been overly condensed.
Justin
Jan 20, 2008 Justin rated it liked it
This book makes a good read but frequently leaves too much unresolved. He tells basically three stories in chronological order, and each one could easily be expanded to describe more time around the central events. Seeing here that it is just the first book of a trilogy makes me a little hopeful that may change with the next two books. We'll see.
Mikael Hansson
Excellent hard-SF. I get the feeling of a.c. Clarke, it won't change anything or add any new to the genre, but is entertaining. I have some minor gripes of how the colonist population is choosen, but OTH I think it is one of the points the autor wants to make, so well... Looking forward to the next part!
John
Jul 03, 2011 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1fiction, box3
Terrible book - I can't believe I just spent the last 4-5 hours reading it, and I have the next one on the shelf. Mostly a story about man leaving the planet and how terrible religion took over on the ship for the voyage of 1oK years. Definitely not one to put on the recommend list.
Karolyn Pavlik
Oct 31, 2011 Karolyn Pavlik rated it it was ok
I wasn't expecting to find polygamy and fundamentalist Mormons in a sci-fi book. The book gets a bit bogged down in details at times.
John
Feb 05, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good premise, a little simplistic 'fundies vs scientists' machinations. The end is rather cynical.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Bryon
Bryon rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Vierblij
Vierblij rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Rashid Sial
Rashid Sial rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Stefphon Rose
Stefphon Rose rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
John Taylor
John Taylor rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Marshal Jones
Marshal Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Elihu
Elihu added it
Sep 26, 2014
Ian Macfarlane
Ian Macfarlane rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014