Start by marking “Genesis” as Want to Read:
Genesis

Genesis

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The human race is running out of time on overcrowded Earth, and only one man has the courage to save it. Colony ship Ark is the greatest project the human race will ever attempt, a self contained world one hundred years in the building, launched on a ten thousand year voyage to carry the seeds of civilization to the stars. It is humanity's final gamble for escape from a de ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Baen Books (first published 2007)

David Erickson
Jul 05, 2013 David Erickson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy political intrigue and a vast attention to detail.
Recommended to David by: I picked it up at a used book sale
4/5ths of the novel deals with the politics and technological breakthroughs of building a colony ship that would last 10,000 years - long enough to reach a distant star. The remainder is about life aboard a closed environment that has a small contingent of technicians and a much larger society of farmers drawn from a fundamentalist religious sect called the Believers. This is really two stories, one dovetailed into the next.

I have serious mixed feelings about this novel. On the one hand, Paul wr
Gendou
I really liked this book.
From time to time I was grew tired of the religion theme, but the hard science fiction kept me thinking.
My favorite parts were the stages of technical planning, and the space elevator.
I also enjoyed the second half of the book, which focused on a generation of people born on the Ark.
For me, the characters were pretty engaging, which is high praise for a hard science fiction book.

I read someone's review calling this book a whining rant against religion.
This is a realistic
Evan
There are plenty of writers who possess the depth of empathy to write believable characters who don't share their worldview. Paul Chafe isn't one of them. While I appreciated the attempt to write about future humans in all of their complexity -- particularly when most hard scifi implausibly imagines future humans as robotically areligious -- Chafe completely fails to paint anything but a caricature of religious belief. His "Believers" are either cynical political brinksmen, manipulating religion ...more
Chris Maguire
Terrific. It drags a little at the end when the story looses all of it's science, but it's still great fiction. I'd love to take a tour of the ark with an Oculus Rift; I feel like I've already been. I'd like to have read more about mining on the moon or using asteroids after the cable was set up; even just more of the development of the ark and the possibilities opened up by a space elevator. In fact, I'd think that earth would use the ark as a temporary base to establish a moon colony: given wh ...more
Clay Rylee
Genesis by Paul Chafe was an interesting read. The story really take place in three major parts following three main characters over a period of about 350 years. It tells the story of the Ark, Humanities first interstealler generation ship and the struggles to get it built as well as the inner strife that comes from the people that populate it after it's launch. Because of the way that time flows in this novel it did feel a bit disjointed moving from one time frame to the next but that still was ...more
Mic
This book conflicted me - midway through it I was ready to give it a five, by the end I wanted to give it a three because of the utterly insipid ending.

Nice idea, good writing, struggled at the finish as the author simply threw up his hands and admitted he didn't know what to do with it.

Bizarrely, I think too much was crammed into the one book. Unlike most, in which a series is one decent book that got stretched WAY beyond what it deserved, this ihas been overly condensed.
Justin
This book makes a good read but frequently leaves too much unresolved. He tells basically three stories in chronological order, and each one could easily be expanded to describe more time around the central events. Seeing here that it is just the first book of a trilogy makes me a little hopeful that may change with the next two books. We'll see.
Mikael Hansson
Excellent hard-SF. I get the feeling of a.c. Clarke, it won't change anything or add any new to the genre, but is entertaining. I have some minor gripes of how the colonist population is choosen, but OTH I think it is one of the points the autor wants to make, so well... Looking forward to the next part!
John
Terrible book - I can't believe I just spent the last 4-5 hours reading it, and I have the next one on the shelf. Mostly a story about man leaving the planet and how terrible religion took over on the ship for the voyage of 1oK years. Definitely not one to put on the recommend list.
Karolyn Pavlik
I wasn't expecting to find polygamy and fundamentalist Mormons in a sci-fi book. The book gets a bit bogged down in details at times.
John
Good premise, a little simplistic 'fundies vs scientists' machinations. The end is rather cynical.
Elihu
Elihu added it
Sep 26, 2014
David Schumacher
David Schumacher marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Aaro Blake
Aaro Blake marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jeremy Kackley
Jeremy Kackley marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
thecryptile
thecryptile marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Tom Jensen
Tom Jensen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jan 03, 2014
Duane
Duane added it
Sep 20, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Travis
Travis added it
Oct 08, 2013
Keith
Keith added it
Sep 16, 2013
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Destiny's Forge (Man-Kzin Wars, #11.5) Exodus: The Ark Man-Kzin Wars IX Mission Critical: Death of the Phoenix - A Novel Man-Kzin Wars 9 (Man-Kzin Wars, #9)