Start by marking “Semiotics: The Basics” as Want to Read:
Semiotics: The Basics

Semiotics: The Basics

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This updated second edition provides a clear and concise introduction to the key concepts of semiotics in accessible and jargon-free language. With a revised introduction and glossary, extended index and suggestions for further reading, this new edition provides an increased number of examples including computer and mobile phone technology, television commercials and the w ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Routledge (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Semiotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Semiotics

Traveller
I didn't read all of it, but this is the ultimate introductory guide for those who tend to feel slightly lost at times when reading the works of the classic instigators of semiotics like Saussure, Peirce, Lacan, Foucault, Eco, Derrida and Barthes.
Mamdouh Abdullah

ما هي السيميائية؟ وما هي أسس هذا العلم؟
من قرأ يوماً مقالة أو رواية للمفكر والروائي الإيطالي أُمبرتو إيكو سيجد أن هذا المصطلح يحتل حيزاً كبيراً من أعماله الفكرية والأدبية. في رواية اسم الوردة تبدأ الرواية بتمرين سيميائي, حيث يؤول المحقق الفرنشسكاني غوليالمودا علامات مختلفة للاستدلال منها على حادثة لم يكن حاضراً فيها, وهي فرار جواد رئيس الدير, ويتضح من خلال شرح الإستراتيجية التي اتبعها أن العلامات تكون محملة بعدة معان إذا ما كانت موجودة مسبقاً في تجربة الشخص, أو إذا ما كان لها مقام يوافقها في المع
Kurt
I bought this book because I had a general sense of what semiotics is, and I've heard a few people I admire drop the term into casual conversation or online articles. Although the term defies easy definition, it has to do with the study of signs (how ideas are communicated, both verbally and nonverbally), and a book that claimed to have the basics seemed like a good place to start my study.

I definitely missed out by reading this on my own instead of in a group setting. Many of the concepts are
Nash
Jan 10, 2010 Nash rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in semiotics.
I started this book via an online version of Professor Chandler and got hooked, so I bought the book! He is so kind to put all his book on line for free! The online version even has links between each section! Anyway, I like the idea of being able to carry the book with me. It is heavy reading for people who is not in the field, though, even though the title says "The Basics." But it packs a volume for those who are serious about exploring more about semiotics because it tells you where you can ...more
Laura Morriss
Semiotics is a terribly confusing and complicated subject, but this book explains it all in simple language with lots of helpful examples. Though at the outset it seems like kind of a frivolous discipline, the study of signs can help us not to assume that any mode of representation is necessarily natural. It points out that all forms of communication are constructed, and being able to decode the signs that make up those constructions allow us to see the filters and biases behind them. The most i ...more
Kim
I used this in an upper-division undergrad course on "Digital Writing" to introduce students to the idea of semiotics. I had them read the "Introduction" "Signs" and "Modality and Representation" sections.

I appreciated Chandler's coverage of multiple schools of thought w/in semiotics, though I think students found it a bit overwhelming. I think it gelled for them after we met in class and discussed it, but they did express frustration with the text. Of course, they may just be unaccustomed to r
Brian Sletten
This was the most accessible book I have ever read on the subject of semiotics. It is still a challenging read and probably completely opaque to those without a vested interest in the subject. After going through this book, however, I am more convinced than ever that there is a "there" there even if it isn't the full scope of what most semioticians would have you believe. I particularly found the sections on narrative structure and visual semiotics compelling.
Alex Lee
As titled, this book is an introduction to semiotics. I honestly can't image the book to be written any clearer. As an introductory text, Chandler does an amazing job navigating the tangled web of methodologies and conceptual frameworks that both define semiotics as a field as well as separating out the various schools and limitations inherent in each framework.

As a structuralist practice, semiotics is largely incomplete in the sense that semiotics tries to find objective kernels to tie down sen
Tara Brabazon
This is a well written book. Such a statement is neither self evident nor expected in a semiotics textbook. What makes this work successful is Daniel Chandler's mode of writing. He continually succeeds in writing crisp, concise and clear language to express often quite complex ideas.

There is the usual engagement with semiotic theories, terms and philosophies. A fine glossary at the end also enhances the book. But the great gift and bonus is found in the discussion of modality. This is always a t
Hameed Darvishi
برای درس نقد و تحلیل برنامه های رادیو و تلویزیون (استاد: دکتر حسن بشیر) (از دروس انتخابی کد84 مقطع کارشناسی رشته معارف اسلامی و فرهنگ و ارتباطات که برای اولین بار ارائه می شود.)یه کتاب تخصصی باید خلاصه می کردم که این متن بر اساس همون خلاصه نوشته شده.
چندلر، دانیل (1387) مبانی نشانه شناسی، ترجمه: مهدی پارسا، تهران، انتشارات سوره مهر (پژوهشکده فرهنگ و هنر اسلامی)، (چاپ دوم) تعداد صفحات:352. قیمت: 3500تومان.
همانگونه که از عنوان کتاب بر می آید، موضوع این کتاب آشنایی اجمالی و اولیه با مبانی، پایه ها و
Emperador Spock
The book largely accomplishes its goal to explain the field well through cutting off jargon and elitist philosophical mumblings. It's still dense and somewhat unsystematic, but I suspect that it's the issue with the field and its current state, not the book.

One thing that I have been missing throughout the book is the presence of chapter summaries, core concepts revisited, revision questions. The book was clearly not designed to be a textbook; however, adopting these textbook practices in it wou
Gsmattingly
I finished "Semiotics: The Basics" by Chandler today. I found this to be fascinating. Some of it is a little rough to wade through but I found the explanations good and examples helpful. Now to see if I can make it through another book on semiotics in the not too distant future. There are a number of books on film and semiotics and I am particularly interested in those. Hm, must find some on music also.
Tu
it is a book that on the first read may give you an impression as of something tough to swallow. But then for a careful reading and some second chew on the semiotics cud, it enlightens you! I'd got an individual project for the course and i chose "The cross" as the subject for an analysis on the three kinds of sign, icon, index and symbol. It turned out to be great, thanks to the great reading source. :-)
Peter
Reading this book before I saw the Magritte show at the Art Institute in Chicago was a nice bit of dumb luck. This is not a light reading book, which is the mistake I made. It really needs some reflection and maybe a reading buddy to help hash through the ideas.

As always, I'm glad he identified academic Marxism as Marxism. It gives me something to disagree with.
chase Adams
Excellent intro that will preface lots of future reading, so that I don't have to start at the beginning and read the entire discipline in order from Saussure on. I believe in picking and choosing to create your own version of education anyway, it's what we all do. Now I can move to this Levi-Strauss that's been on the shelf for too long.
This is a fairly approachable introduction to semiotics, although the most important thing I learned from it was that I'm...probably never going to be able to really get my head around semiotics. As jargon-free as a text on the topic can probably be without appearing lobotomized.
Adam
This is a phenomenal introduction to semiotic theory. I've been familiar with semiotic terminology and concepts for many years through my philosophical and linguistic reading, but this book lends a solid, formal foundation to those ideas that is incredibly useful.
Policythinkshop Blogger
"An irreverent journey into meaning and meaning making. A must read for those of us who like to over analyze everything. Seriously, this book is a nice readable story about a subject that's not supposed to be for us "non-phylosophers."
Gadeer Al-Shathry
Good for undergraduate students in semiotics. It presents, compare and contrast most of the theories and views that construct the field of semiotics in all the modes of representation.
Tedb0t
Oct 09, 2008 Tedb0t rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring semioticians and pedants alike
Shelves: non-fiction, theory
I'm still in the midst of it, but it's an excellent and in-depth overview of Semiotics. Like semiotics itself, the book must be taken with either several or one large grain of salt.
Ahmad Muwafiq
very helping for beginners
Dark
Jan 03, 2011 Dark is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
semiotics - the science of signs
مرجان محمدی
مرجان محمدی marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Marzie taram
Marzie taram marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Shantanu Singh
Shantanu Singh marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Sammy Taylor
Sammy Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
دنيا الورغي
دنيا الورغي is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
  • Introducing Marxism: A Graphic Guide
  • The Literary Mind: The Origins of Thought and Language
  • Teach Yourself Linguistics
  • Free Speech: A Very Short Introduction
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Hegel: A Very Short Introduction
  • Poststructuralism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Ideas That Matter: A Personal Guide For The 21st Century
  • Workbook for Wheelock's Latin
  • The English Language: A Historical Introduction
  • Animal Rights: A Very Short Introduction
Daniel Chandler (born 1952) is a British visual semiotician based (since 2001) at the department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies at Aberystwyth University (where he has taught since 1989). His best-known publication is Semiotics: The Basics (Routledge: 1st edn 2002, 2nd edn 2007), which is frequently used as a basis for University courses in semiotics,and the online version 'Semiotics for ...more
More about Daniel Chandler...
Literary Theory: The Basics Semiotics for Beginners A Dictionary of Media and Communication A Dictionary of Media and Communication (Oxford Paperback Reference) Sophie Monk 43 Success Facts - Everything You Need to Know about Sophie Monk