Start by marking “Semiotics: The Basics” as Want to Read:
Semiotics: The Basics

Semiotics: The Basics

This updated second edition provides a clear and concise introduction to the key concepts of semiotics in accessible and jargon-free language. With a revised introduction and glossary, extended index and suggestions for further reading, this new edition provides an increased number of examples including computer and mobile phone technology, television commercials and the w ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Routledge (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Semiotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Semiotics

Mamdouh Abdullah
Jan 04, 2013 Mamdouh Abdullah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ما هي السيميائية؟ وما هي أسس هذا العلم؟
من قرأ يوماً مقالة أو رواية للمفكر والروائي الإيطالي أُمبرتو إيكو سيجد أن هذا المصطلح يحتل حيزاً كبيراً من أعماله الفكرية والأدبية. في رواية اسم الوردة تبدأ الرواية بتمرين سيميائي, حيث يؤول المحقق الفرنشسكاني غوليالمودا علامات مختلفة للاستدلال منها على حادثة لم يكن حاضراً فيها, وهي فرار جواد رئيس الدير, ويتضح من خلال شرح الإستراتيجية التي اتبعها أن العلامات تكون محملة بعدة معان إذا ما كانت موجودة مسبقاً في تجربة الشخص, أو إذا ما كان لها مقام يوافقها في المع
I didn't read all of it, but this is the ultimate introductory guide for those who tend to feel slightly lost at times when reading the works of the classic instigators of semiotics like Saussure, Peirce, Lacan, Foucault, Eco, Derrida and Barthes.
Hanieh Habibi
Jun 04, 2016 Hanieh Habibi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: as-needed
بخشهایی از کتاب :
- صرفنظر کردن از مطالعهی نشانهها باعث میشود که به دیگران اجازه دهیم جهان معناهایی که ساکن آنیم را تحت کنترل خود بگیرند.
- واقعیت، حاصل مقایسهی محصولات فهم ما از یک کلیت با دیگری است و بر اساس یک قیاس یک به یک قرار ندارد.
Jan 28, 2012 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I had a general sense of what semiotics is, and I've heard a few people I admire drop the term into casual conversation or online articles. Although the term defies easy definition, it has to do with the study of signs (how ideas are communicated, both verbally and nonverbally), and a book that claimed to have the basics seemed like a good place to start my study.

I definitely missed out by reading this on my own instead of in a group setting. Many of the concepts are
Jan 10, 2010 Nash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in semiotics.
I started this book via an online version of Professor Chandler and got hooked, so I bought the book! He is so kind to put all his book on line for free! The online version even has links between each section! Anyway, I like the idea of being able to carry the book with me. It is heavy reading for people who is not in the field, though, even though the title says "The Basics." But it packs a volume for those who are serious about exploring more about semiotics because it tells you where you can ...more
Laura Morriss
Feb 04, 2008 Laura Morriss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semiotics is a terribly confusing and complicated subject, but this book explains it all in simple language with lots of helpful examples. Though at the outset it seems like kind of a frivolous discipline, the study of signs can help us not to assume that any mode of representation is necessarily natural. It points out that all forms of communication are constructed, and being able to decode the signs that make up those constructions allow us to see the filters and biases behind them. The most i ...more
I used this in an upper-division undergrad course on "Digital Writing" to introduce students to the idea of semiotics. I had them read the "Introduction" "Signs" and "Modality and Representation" sections.

I appreciated Chandler's coverage of multiple schools of thought w/in semiotics, though I think students found it a bit overwhelming. I think it gelled for them after we met in class and discussed it, but they did express frustration with the text. Of course, they may just be unaccustomed to r
Brian Sletten
Dec 19, 2012 Brian Sletten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the most accessible book I have ever read on the subject of semiotics. It is still a challenging read and probably completely opaque to those without a vested interest in the subject. After going through this book, however, I am more convinced than ever that there is a "there" there even if it isn't the full scope of what most semioticians would have you believe. I particularly found the sections on narrative structure and visual semiotics compelling.
Reading this book before I saw the Magritte show at the Art Institute in Chicago was a nice bit of dumb luck. This is not a light reading book, which is the mistake I made. It really needs some reflection and maybe a reading buddy to help hash through the ideas.

As always, I'm glad he identified academic Marxism as Marxism. It gives me something to disagree with.
Nov 07, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a phenomenal introduction to semiotic theory. I've been familiar with semiotic terminology and concepts for many years through my philosophical and linguistic reading, but this book lends a solid, formal foundation to those ideas that is incredibly useful.
Feb 09, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
This book is an absolutely fantastic introduction to the field of semiotics as well as structuarlist/poststructuralist theories. Daniel Chandler breaks down the origins of the field and contextualizes why someone would even want to be interested in the study of signs to begin with. The overarching split between the Sausseaurean and Piercian connotation of semiotics is conveyed by gently introducing the concepts one must be familiar with to engage with the higher level discussions towards the end ...more
Alex Lee
Sep 17, 2015 Alex Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As titled, this book is an introduction to semiotics. I honestly can't image the book to be written any clearer. As an introductory text, Chandler does an amazing job navigating the tangled web of methodologies and conceptual frameworks that both define semiotics as a field as well as separating out the various schools and limitations inherent in each framework.

As a structuralist practice, semiotics is largely incomplete in the sense that semiotics tries to find objective kernels to tie down sen
Tara Brabazon
This is a well written book. Such a statement is neither self evident nor expected in a semiotics textbook. What makes this work successful is Daniel Chandler's mode of writing. He continually succeeds in writing crisp, concise and clear language to express often quite complex ideas.

There is the usual engagement with semiotic theories, terms and philosophies. A fine glossary at the end also enhances the book. But the great gift and bonus is found in the discussion of modality. This is always a t
Hameed شاهکلائی
برای درس نقد و تحلیل برنامه های رادیو و تلویزیون (استاد: دکتر حسن بشیر) (از دروس انتخابی کد84 مقطع کارشناسی رشته معارف اسلامی و فرهنگ و ارتباطات که برای اولین بار ارائه می شود.)یه کتاب تخصصی باید خلاصه می کردم که این متن بر اساس همون خلاصه نوشته شده.
چندلر، دانیل (1387) مبانی نشانه شناسی، ترجمه: مهدی پارسا، تهران، انتشارات سوره مهر (پژوهشکده فرهنگ و هنر اسلامی)، (چاپ دوم) تعداد صفحات:352. قیمت: 3500تومان.
همانگونه که از عنوان کتاب بر می آید، موضوع این کتاب آشنایی اجمالی و اولیه با مبانی، پایه ها و
Devon Fritz
Dec 10, 2015 Devon Fritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, education
This book is a must read for everyone who would ask the question "what is semiotics?" A great overview of the field and the different areas it handles and doesn't handle. It gave names and concepts to things I had often more vaguely thought about, but on which I couldn't quite put my finger. I don't think one can look at the world in quite the same way after having read its pages.
Robert Laing
Apr 24, 2016 Robert Laing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to semiotic theory. Introduces the major schools of thought and changes that have occurred through the years. Not an easy read by any means, but semiotics isn't an easy topic.
Emperador Spock
Jul 21, 2013 Emperador Spock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book largely accomplishes its goal to explain the field well through cutting off jargon and elitist philosophical mumblings. It's still dense and somewhat unsystematic, but I suspect that it's the issue with the field and its current state, not the book.

One thing that I have been missing throughout the book is the presence of chapter summaries, core concepts revisited, revision questions. The book was clearly not designed to be a textbook; however, adopting these textbook practices in it wou
Jason Deuman
Decent Overview and Introduction

This was a required text for a course I am taking. The author does a good job highlighting the major contributors and movements in the study of semiotics.
Jul 04, 2012 Gsmattingly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished "Semiotics: The Basics" by Chandler today. I found this to be fascinating. Some of it is a little rough to wade through but I found the explanations good and examples helpful. Now to see if I can make it through another book on semiotics in the not too distant future. There are a number of books on film and semiotics and I am particularly interested in those. Hm, must find some on music also.
Mar 30, 2013 Tu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a book that on the first read may give you an impression as of something tough to swallow. But then for a careful reading and some second chew on the semiotics cud, it enlightens you! I'd got an individual project for the course and i chose "The cross" as the subject for an analysis on the three kinds of sign, icon, index and symbol. It turned out to be great, thanks to the great reading source. :-)
Jan 24, 2016 Bogdan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sémiotique
An amazing book for those who want to immerse themselves into the study of sign production. As an introduction to semiotics, it discusses the main schools of thought / traditions, as well as innovations into the field / philosophy.
It's not a light read, as semiotics in itself is not a light subject, but Chandler manages to make it palatable and enjoyable.
chase Adams
Sep 23, 2008 chase Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ny-apt
Excellent intro that will preface lots of future reading, so that I don't have to start at the beginning and read the entire discipline in order from Saussure on. I believe in picking and choosing to create your own version of education anyway, it's what we all do. Now I can move to this Levi-Strauss that's been on the shelf for too long.
This is a fairly approachable introduction to semiotics, although the most important thing I learned from it was that I'm...probably never going to be able to really get my head around semiotics. As jargon-free as a text on the topic can probably be without appearing lobotomized.
Peter Stanbridge
I have not finished this book yet - I have tried to make sense of this book and the subject but failed, even on my third attempt.

I think it is well written, but I simply can't get into the subject to appreciate its scope and subject matter.
Policythinkshop Blogger
"An irreverent journey into meaning and meaning making. A must read for those of us who like to over analyze everything. Seriously, this book is a nice readable story about a subject that's not supposed to be for us "non-phylosophers."
Gadeer Al-Shathry
Good for undergraduate students in semiotics. It presents, compare and contrast most of the theories and views that construct the field of semiotics in all the modes of representation.
Oct 09, 2008 Tedb0t rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring semioticians and pedants alike
Shelves: theory, non-fiction
I'm still in the midst of it, but it's an excellent and in-depth overview of Semiotics. Like semiotics itself, the book must be taken with either several or one large grain of salt.
Ahmad Muwafiq
  • The Literary Mind: The Origins of Thought and Language
  • This Means This, This Means That: A User's Guide to Semiotics
  • Introducing Marxism: A Graphic Guide
  • The English Language: A Historical Introduction
Daniel Chandler (born 1952) is a British visual semiotician based (since 2001) at the department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies at Aberystwyth University (where he has taught since 1989). His best-known publication is Semiotics: The Basics (Routledge: 1st edn 2002, 2nd edn 2007), which is frequently used as a basis for University courses in semiotics,and the online version 'Semiotics for ...more
More about Daniel Chandler...