Start by marking “Planetary #1 (Absolute Planetary 1 de 2)” as Want to Read:
Planetary #1 (Absolute Planetary 1 de 2)

Planetary #1 (Planetary #1-2)

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,015 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Warren Ellis (THE AUTHORITY) y John Cassaday (THE ASTONISHING X-MEN, YO SOY LEGION) realizan una obra maestra, un verdadero homenaje a los grandes géneros populares del s.XX. A caballo entre dos milenios, un grupo de arqueólogos del s.XX están dispuestos a desentrañar los secretos del pasado para entender el presente y poder afrontar el futuro. Juntos forman Planetary.
Incl
Hardcover, Absolute en 2 tomos, 304 pages
Published April 11th 2007 by Norma Editorial (Wildstorm) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Planetary #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planetary #1

Tyler
This review is for Planetary in it's entirety.

For years, I've been digging through the extensive back catalogs of the comics world, reading "the greats". Part of that has been because I've always been a fan of the DC Occult universe, and there has not been much new in the way of that recently. Another, much bigger part, is that I feel too many things are unoriginal and uninspired. This book made me realize something, albeit unintentionally, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Planetary is amazing.
Dufour
I had forgotten how much fun this book was. I gave up buying the singles and trades since Ellis & Cassaday couldn't seem to get an issue out but once a year. It reads so much better in collected form anyway.

This first act is sets the stage for what's revolutionary about PLANETARY: the genre-bending links to the main mystery. Ellis uses analogues for everything from the Justice League to Godzilla in showing how the secret history of the world can be unearthed by a team of weird archaeologists
Federiken Masters
Sep 12, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: La internez.
Finalmente le pude dar una chance a este neoclásico y me enganché de tal forma que no pude largar el tomo aunque se hicieron las seis de la mañana. Historia y dibujo no sólo son buenísimos sino que forman un todo mayor que no hace más que prometer un final apoteósico para el siguiente. Además, siempre está el bonus de ir pescando trasunto en cada uno de los personajes que van apareciendo. Si mañana me da el cuero, seguro amplie la reseña poniendo un par, aunque más no sea por joder. Eso sí, la h ...more
Francis
Excelente novela gráfica donde tres arqueólogos con diversos poderes recorren mundos alternativos descubriendo realidades y seres de otras dimensiones.

Elijah Snow, tiene poderes relacionados con el frío; Jakita Wagner (telequinesis), superfuerza y supervelocidad; The Drummer, absorve y procesa información, cualquier tipo de información. Controla cualquier maquina o resto de artefacto...

Forman la cara visible de Planetary una sociedad secreta que apoya y castiga a seres y realidades paranormales.
Ingame149
Planetary Vol. 1-4 written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by John Cassaday

Ever since Allan Moore and Frank Miller re-suited up superheroes with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, comics and writers have been playing catch up. Some have done this well, but most have either drown in their basically soap opera ways or strangled themselves with the reality Moore and Miller brought. Not too many comics have matched what they did in the 80’s but Planetary is one of those comics that built somethin
Chris
Just finished my second time through both books. Want to give it a second chance to see if my feeling would change on it. Well it has not. The artwork is amazing. The characters are amazing. The individual issues are great and the writing in each is great. It is not even a slow read the pacing is good. My problem with it is each is issue is like a individual story and you just jump from one to the next with sometimes no tie to the last one. So half the time I spent thinking what the hell is goin ...more
J.
A comic of the "secret history" of the 20th century. Does what "secret history" stories should do: give you a shivery peek at what's rotten beneath the skin of the world, while also offering a few moments of something transcendent, the sustaining glimpse at the glimmer of possibility that there's more to life than we know: that the world can be "a better place than advertised."

Planetary is also an affectionate tour through a hundred years of pulp detritus, as well as a critique and investigation
Vaman
You gotta give props to a writer who casually tosses out the tidbit that the real U.S. government goes about 30 odd levels deeper than the government and gets his audience to lap it up like dogs at feeding time. A history book for those who thought the most significant development of the last fifty years was the gov.'s abandonment of radical super soldier experiments. I just wanted a little less Ellis and a little more Woodward. But why do I dare second guess a hundred year old man in an all whi ...more
Raúl
Genial cómic de Warren Ellis. Ya con el primer número pone muchas cartas sobre la mesa, mostrando un cómic elaborado y complicado no recomendado para el gran público. Poco a poco, aún cuando cada número es en cierta manera autoconclusivo, se van poniendo las piezas para lo que nos espera al final del tomo, con todas sus revelaciones y ese gran giro que nos hará ver a algún personaje de diferente manera de cómo le veíamos hasta ese momento.
Su mezcla de estilos, dentro siempre de la ciencia ficció
Jacobi
I read all of Planetary in one sitting. There is a lot about this series that is awesome. Each issue has a crazy idea in it that could probably support a whole series on its own, the art is really good, and the writing is very tight.

However, for me, the story never came together in such a way that I truly cared about what was happening. The ideas were more than enough to pull me through, but while I appreciate Planetary's deconstructive take on the elements and history of comics (which makes thi
Ryan Scicluna
Interesting comic series. There are clear references to other superheros from well known companies such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Doc Savage, Fantastic Four, ect... even references to fictional characters from literature. The main ideas behind this series, I think, was to make a current analysis of pop culture using the comic book medium. while also adopting the superhero style narrative of solving a mystery. Planetary after all are archaeologists of fiction. The first half was interesting and ...more
jeremiah
Okay, I was wrong about Warren Ellis. Holy crap. I think I need to give Ignition City a little more time.

I wasn't very impressed with this at first... Then what seemed like a bunch of random stories and characters all started coming together in a pretty awesome way. By the end of this book, which I didn't realize is only half the story, I was thoroughly engrossed. Really glad I gave Ellis another chance.
Matt
Warren Ellis manages to take every possible genre and motif from pulp and popular culture and tell a cohesive story that somehow manages to exist in the same world, naturally. Every chapter stands alone, but each one slowly builds this mind-bending story. The diversity of each chapter allows John Cassaday to flex his creativity and grow as an artist.
Husti
Al principio no me gustó nada, me dio la impresión de que el guión estaba muy poco perfilado y la historia no conducía a ninguna parte. No entendía nada. Me aburría.
Sin embargo, hacia el final del tomo la cosa empezó a tener sentido ¿Será que lo bueno empieza en el segundo volumen?
Con la fama que tiene este cómic más vale que así sea...
Weylin
Very well done. Especially for fans of the pulp years. Loved to see the old heroes in this format. The writing is excellent and the 'logo of the month' is more than just a gimic. It highlights the fact that this comic is very different from other series.

Borrowed this from library. Now scouring the web for a copy.
Curtis Schofield
Did you know that the origin of genius has to do with the spirit- and that in some way one could be also said to be possessed by a genie? Well whatever it is - it is clear that two masters are at work in this massive and yet simple and accessible tale. Astounding - will be enjoyed for many years to come.
Kurt Rocourt
Oct 30, 2013 Kurt Rocourt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: dc-tpb
I'll start off by saying that Watchmen is good but Planetary is great. Without Watchmen there probably is no Planetary. But Planetary goes beyond what Watchmen started.If your a fan of comic books and pop culture history Planetary in any format is a great read.
Arthur
Sep 24, 2008 Arthur rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comicbook readers
Shelves: graphicnovels, comics
This is a collection of the first dozen issues of Planetary. It is an exceptional and wonderfully clever work written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by John Cassaday.
I can't recommend this enough, it's one of my absolute favorite graphic novels.
Bob
Great series tangentially related to The Authority. It starts off with a few one-off stories that set the stage for the story arc that wraps up this short-lived series. Great mind-bending Ellis writing and solid artwork throughout.
Will Cooper
Warren Ellis puts three very different characters on a team and let's them play in a world full of literary references and magical events. Each story seems separate but is definitely leading to even better happenings in the second volume.
Ryan
I'm going to assume Absolute Planetary encompasses the entire run.

This is some of Ellis's best writing.

Until the end, when I get the feeling he just wants to wrap it up because he's lost interest.
Vincent Stoessel
First edition of my favorite independent comic series. It has just about everything, superheroes, cool homage, monsters and a secret histories of the 20th century. 5.5 stars actually.
Miquel Codony
El concepte és bo i guanya interés conforme la història avança, i realment tinc ganes de veure com segueix la cosa, però narrativament, i sent generós, és molt, molt mediocre.
Morten K
Jun 15, 2007 Morten K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wierdos
Shelves: comic-mania
I guess this is the most recent comic I liked, though I'm desperately (and probably hopelessly) waiting for it to continue... gosh!
Alberto Carlos
Sensacional, Ellis nos lleva por donde quiere poniendo en cada número una pieza del puzzle... ¡a por el segundo tomo!
Mark
This first volume is sheer brilliance, and the Absolute edition allows Cassady's art to shine brightly.
Glenj
Possibly my favorite comic book collection of all-time.
Josh
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
  • Powers: Definitive Collection Vol. 1
  • Astro City, Vol. 5: Local Heroes
  • The Authority, Vol. 4: Transfer of Power
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Planetary (5 books)
  • Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories
  • Planetary, Vol. 2: The Fourth Man
  • Planetary, Vol. 3: Leaving the 20th Century
  • Planetary, Vol. 4: Spacetime Archaeology
  • Planetary: Crossing Worlds
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)