Start by marking “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune” as Want to Read:

From applying for a job to playing company politics, this delightful, satirical guide for the ambitious and the lazy is just as relevant--and funny--today as when it was first published in the 1950s, spelling out with rich irony how anyone without skills but with a lot of nerve can rise to the top. Illustrations.
Published November 9th 1994 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

sanny
Brit Mad Men style humour. Blatant misogyny abound, most probably a by-product of its time. The names are amusing enough and because of that Dan Radcliffe cover somehow he just kept showing up during Ponty's scenes.

The Brit humour quotient increases exponentially the more one reads into this, and despite some repetitive yodelling, it's breezy and theatrical enough to entertain.

According to the blurb, Stanley Bing, who gave an updated foreword, is adept at delivering good strategic advice behin
Sheela Word
Jan 05, 2014 Sheela Word rated it it was amazing
"The Prince" for middle-class America and not much like the musical it inspired. I first read "How to Succeed" as a teenager and found it absolutely hilarious. It still is, but now feels a little dated, because its purported target audience is ambitious young corporate men (the women are either wives or secretaries). This is excusable -- in the 1950's, when the book was published, that's the way things were. The satire is so sweeping and on-target that it doesn't really matter anyway.
Kat
May 31, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the musical
I saw the Broadway musical revival and the Robert Morse film of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, so I figured I might as well read the book that inspired the hit musical that won a Pulitzer Prize. It reads like a typical "how to" guide, with chapters covering topics like how to get a job, how to get a raise, etc. But it does so in a humorous manner — definitely not to be taken seriously.

I laughed at a lot of the references to the advertising agency, because of my own experience
Valerie
This is not the edition I read: that one I read in my teenage years. Several decades after the first edition, in other words, but long before the present day.

Most people seem to compare this to dramatic (well, musical) versions, which they saw before they read the book. I think I've seen part of a staged (movie?) version, but I KNOW I read the book first.

I approached this book in the period when I was reading the 'gamesmanship' books: and in the same spirit. That spirit was sort of a combination
Michaela
Sep 18, 2011 Michaela rated it it was amazing
I picked up this little gem of a book, because I had the pleasure of seeing Daniel Radcliffe live in the Broadway version. Daneil did such a wonderful job, especially with comedy (getting the timing just so) that I figured I would see where the inspiration came from. I was not disappointed, many of the words in this book were recycled in the play, and I had a great time remembering each scene. This book is an easy-read and quite humorous, and yet, you realize how true some of these "how-tos" are ...more
Kiran
Nov 05, 2011 Kiran rated it liked it
I read the version with the introduction by Stanley Bing, who warned about the many changes that have occurred in the workplace since the book's 1958 release. I would have preferred to continue reading the introduction. How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying is short and undoubtedly humorous, but time has diluted Shepherd Mead's tips for success to only a handful that can actually be applied to the modern world.
Shelley
Mar 18, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc, media, vintage, nyc
I knew that the musical was based on a book, but I hadn't realized the book was actually the guide itself. Absolutely hilarious, and I loved seeing how they framed the musical around this, with quotes (opening lines, secretary is not a toy, etc) and creating a story from the anecdotes used to illustrate the examples.
Ron II
Dec 27, 2011 Ron II rated it it was amazing
This is the definative textbook for how to finagle your way to the top of the corporate food chain. You don't need credentials, connections or anything else. Just some wits, charm and lots of strategic acting. Hey, that sounds a lot like how your boss became the boss, doesn't it?
Joe Hill
Nov 17, 2016 Joe Hill rated it really liked it
A marvelous sendup of corporate culture. In many ways the satire continues to hit home 60+ years later.
Alex Nagler
Oct 03, 2013 Alex Nagler rated it it was amazing
Before you jump for joy / Remember this my boy / A secretary is not / A tinker toy
Susan
Jun 25, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I'm glad I finally read this, though it didn't make me want to see the play on Broadway, even though that Harry Potter kid is in it.
Kerry Richardson
Jul 10, 2014 Kerry Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry British humor, which I love. After reading I wanted to see the musical, but didn't make it to NYC in time.
Valérie Lullaby
There is truth in laughter and in jokes.The book might be old and somewhat outdated, but the autor's sharp wit more than makes up for it.
Kim A
Aug 02, 2011 Kim A rated it really liked it
I got lured in by the cover which had that harry potter kid grinning ridiculously in a suit.
Interesting read.
Eirikur
Eirikur rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Tom Quinn
Tom Quinn rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Mariem Kamal
Mariem Kamal rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Harmony Ingraham
Harmony Ingraham rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Kevin Daly
Kevin Daly rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Jeffrey Wilson
Jeffrey Wilson rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2012
Lauren Stoolfire
Lauren Stoolfire rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Shandra Harper
Shandra Harper rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Hail, Hail, Euphoria!: Presenting the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup, the Greatest War Movie Ever Made
  • The Bible of Unspeakable Truths
  • Raised Eyebrows: My Years Inside Groucho's House
  • The Zionist Idea: A Historical Analysis and Reader
  • Not for Tourists Guide to New York City
  • A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband: with Bettina's Best Recipes (Bettina, #1)
  • Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)
  • Tru Confessions
  • Love Is One of the Choices
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • Happy Odyssey
  • Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1981-2011, With Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes, and Miscellany
  • The Coloring Book: A Comedian Solves Race Relations in America
  • Homework for Grown-Ups: Everything You Learned at School and Promptly Forgot.
  • Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual
  • Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV
  • Little Known Facts About Well Known Places: Disneyland
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent
Shepherd Mead was one of those men dogged by success. After graduating from Washington University he went to New York to practice being an intellectual and ended up as a junior executive and then a vice-president of Benton & Bowles. His biting attacks against society only gained him greater fame and success, and he finally resigned and fled to Europe with his wife and three children in 1957. H ...more
More about Shepherd Mead...