Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life

Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"A revelation. No one will ever view Andrew Wyeth's apparently tranquil works the same way again after reading this vivid and astonishing portrait of the turbulent, driven man who paints them. Richard Meryman has written a wonderful book."
- Geoffrey C. Ward
At its most fundamental level, this stunning and unique biography describes a distinguished painter's enterprise of...more
Published April 21st 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1900)

Gloria
What is art?

I don't claim to be any sort of expert. I am not gifted in that realm of visual arts. But I find that, like writing, it tends to be very subjective.
What speaks to one person will not necessarily appeal to another.

What I do know is Andrew Wyeth has always appealed to me. I've always understood the starkness of his landscapes, the loud yet subtle emotion of his simplicity ... the expressions of his models.

This book scratched an itch in that I always long to know more about who creates...more
Mikey B.

Pentecost

Spring Fed

This is an extraordinary portrait of the American artist Andrew Wyeth. The author followed Andrew Wyeth since the 1960’s and it shows.

It’s a very personal view of the painter and his upbringing – his family, his wife Betsy , their children and the models he used. It is quite stunning to learn of the various influences that affected the paintings of Andrew Wyeth. We do feel the essence of this painter as the author describes the creation and generation of his works.

First and fo...more
Kathy
This biography was written thirteen years before the death of Andrew Wyeth. It was quite complete, starting with Wyeth family history with much about N.C. Wyeth and his influence on his family. After N.C.'s death the book concentrated on Andrew. Since the 1960's, I have appreciated the works of Andrew Wyeth. I saw beauty and solitude in his work. I loved the Helga series. The author of the biography described the work as being full of hate and anger and violence. I much prefer my interpretation....more
Christine
Wyeth is a true artist in every sense of the word. A genius, but probably not one I'd want to live with. Fascinating biography, which I don't generally like a whole lot. You get snippets of the other famous Wyeths as well (N.C. and Jamie). This is one American dynasty I can be happy about.
Susan Poling
Jan 05, 2008 Susan Poling rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes biographies and watching a character grow before their eyes.
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
I read this after a trip to Lime Rock, Maine where Fred and I wandered through the Wyeth Museum that had three floors of paintings in an renovated New England home. Each floor was dedicated to a different Wyeth. Andrew on the second, N.C. Wyeth (his father) on the main floor and James (his son) on the lower floor.
I really liked this book. It was easy to read, very down to earth....It was very interesting to se how the times and parenting influanced each artist. It was interesting to learn about...more
Sue
I love biographies, especially about artists. Remembered seeing an exhibition of his work in NYC while I was in college. It still stays with me. A local museum is having a Wyeth exhibition in June & I wanted to read about him. Very creative but complicated family starting with the patriarch N.C., who was a famous illustrator. Andrew was his son & always felt under his father's thumb. It affected his other relationships & his painting. Andrew's son Jamie also fell under the family cur...more
Trailhoundz
To be honest, I'm surprised at all the rave reviews of this book! It is well written but I found it WAY too long and I found it a real snooze-fest. Every person who had ever crossed into Wyeth's life- every agonizing family detail- the minute details of every place he lived, every relative, every friend, every thought-- is gone into with excruciating intimacy. If you are a huge Andrew Wyeth buff you might be interested but I found myself putting the book down way too much in favor of others. Aft...more
Mary Ann
Oct 02, 2007 Mary Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Art history people, folks interested in Pennsylvania and Maine history
Andrew Wyeth is my favorite artist. When I was in college, I did an art history course about him. As a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, I also have visited the Brandywine River Museum, where many of his works and those of his family are housed (Wyeth lives in Chadds Ford and Maine). This book is a treasure trove of Wyeth family history--they are perhaps one of the more accomplished families in U.S. history. It also discusses, in-depth, Wyeth's technique, motivation and relationships with his s...more
Hk
Absolutely fascinating book about an amazing artist with an equally interesting family, extended family and circle of friends. Meaningfully arranged for maximum impact of life events and artistic works shared. Fed but also peaked my interest for even more on this American icon. Highly recommended for Wyeth fans and those who enjoy a beautifully done biography. I'll miss it... it has been ages since I've been so intensely engaged by a book.
Kathy Whipple
This is a study of the quintessential artistic family. Although lines are blurry between reality and imagination, there can be no doubt that Andrew's early childhood shaped his creativity. I love the paintings of Andrew Wyeth, and his father NC. I am always facinated by the fine line between creativity and insanity or the tormented life. There are numerous examples--Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickenson, Mozart.... AND Andrew Wyeth.
Val Olson
I live just a few miles from where Andrew Wyeth lived before his recent death, and in fact, drive past his home 5 or 6 times a week. I enjoyed were the local details of the book, but didn't think much of the writer's style. What impressed me most about Wyeth, as with other masters' of a skill or a calling, was his single-mindedness. All his relationships seemed to be in the service of his art, which he pursued with dogged focus.
Christopher Newton
Overly long, filled with profiles of tangential characters and interviews with every model and second cousin who happened to drop by for dinner - still, it's full of insight into the artist's temperament and the iron-bound armor Wyeth donned to keep the world at bay so he could get some work done. It's a scanner but full of treasure for aspiring artists of every discipline -- if you keep on keeping on..
Barb Lathroum
This was an illuminating biography. I never realized how much Wyeth's seemingly controlled paintings reflected his emotional life. After reading this, I wanted to revisit the Brandywine Museum and examine the Wyeth paintings more closely.
Howard Mansfield
Richard Merryman’s father was a well-respected painter. Merryman understands artists and he understands large families. In this absolutely engrossing biography Merryman gets inside Wyeth. He shows us the artist in the act of painting -- the hair on the back of Wyeth standing up as he paints what he is feeling. He didn’t just paint his paintings, says Merryman, he lived in them. A great book.
Rustam
Jul 07, 2009 Rustam added it
An interesting biography of an artist who resisted all the influences of "modern" art through the 50's, 60's and 70's, and still somehow came out on top as a critically acclaimed American painter. I don't generally like biographies too much, but felt like this was a must-read when I stumbled onto it at the bookstore in June, just a month or two after he died.
Justine Highsmith
Andrew Wyeth is a modern American master and one of the greatest artists of all time. Anyone who is a fan of his work will enjoy reading about his little known personal life, and the intimate relationships between his family members and the models who inspired many of his most famous paintings.
Gretchen
. This is a remarkable biography of Andrew Wyeth. It is impressive in its depth and insight. Unfortunately, it isn’t told in chronological order, so it would be a good idea to go to the internet and get a reliable chronology of his life & paintings to use as a guide when you read it.
Shannon
Basically explains about his life, how he grew up in the eyes of his father, N.C. Wyeth, a famous illustrator who was strongly influenced by his mother and Howard Pyle. Also, more about his life and his works. If you are interested in his works and this artist, recommended!
kimberly
A favorite Maine painter of mine, this book is so fun to read. Andrew's life is full of mystery and magic and horror...and all that feeds his art. I love his search for the "realness" in people and things.
Paula
This revealing portrait of Andrew Wyeth really took me by surprise. His work seems so calm - I was unaware of the "fury" lurking beneath. One of the better biographies I've ever read.
Derek
An absolute gripping look into the great American painting family, and the power that NC Wyeth had over it, resulting in Andrews secretive, beautiful and angst-ridden persona.
Kerren
Interesting to look into his life. Any biography of an artist should include more pictures in my opinion though.
Elisabeth
I met the author and liked him almost as much as I like Wyeth. Why do I like old salty codgers?
John
This book feels like Wyeth’s paintings: muted, with hidden meaning that tugs at your unconscious.
Saralee
BEYOND!!!! This is such a great biography of one of our great American painters.
Laura Zuccheri
For who is a painter an essential book.
Veronica
Jun 10, 2011 Veronica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Veronica by: vpjohnson@yahoo.com
Very interesting
Mark Mortensen
Mark Mortensen marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Hope: A Loss Survived Broken Promises, Mended Dreams First Impressions: Andrew Wyeth Andrew Wyeth Andrew Wyeth: A Spoken Self-Portrait: Selected and Arranged by Richard Meryman from Recorded Conversations with the Artist, 1964-2007