Start by marking “Doctor Who And The Mutants (The Doctor Who Library, No. 44)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who And The Mutants (The Doctor Who Library, No. 44)

Doctor Who And The Mutants (Doctor Who Library (Target) #44)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Novelization of the Doctor Who TV episodes/story of the same name.

What was happening to the people of Solos? Why are they gradually turning into Monsters? Hands that become claws, flesh that turns scale-like...

When the Doctor meets the Marshal and Jaeger, he realizes that all is not as it appears to be. The Marshal has a sinister plan to gain control of this planet, and it
Paperback
Published May 1st 1983 by Target Books, Carol Pub Group (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who And The Mutants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who And The Mutants

Doctor Who and the Ark in Space by Ian MarterDoctor Who by Terrance DicksDoctor Who and the Green Death by Malcolm HulkeDoctor Who and the Seeds of Doom by Philip HinchcliffeDoctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster by Terrance Dicks
Target Doctor Who
71st out of 102 books — 13 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezThe Giver by Lois LowryHave Space Suit—Will Travel by Robert A. HeinleinCitizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein
Best Children's Science Fiction Books
140th out of 187 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Rasheed
I think this was the 1st Doctor Who book I read, and it was sufficient to get me hooked.
Christian Petrie
I was never interested in this book to begin with. As a kid I would see it on the shelf and bypass it. It was my mother who bought me a copy when I was sick. After re-reading this all these years later, my view has changed.

It is a Target book so the expectations were not high. When I started reading this, I was surprised how fast I read it and it kept my interest.

The main story is the Doctor and Jo are sent by the Time Lords to deliver a package. They don't know who it is for (a bit of an overs
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1037395.html#cutid4[return][return]I retain an affection for this book, even though the TV original is quite possibly the worst Pertwee story. Somehow the anti-colonial politics comes through both more clearly and more subtly; and we are spared the dodgy special effects and atrocious acting. One where the page is way better than the screen.[return][return]
Wealhtheow
This was a surprisingly emotional book for me to read. The downtrodden natives of a distant planet in the distant future and slowly, inexorably transforming into monstrous lobster-ish creatures. Are the mutations caused by the violent terraforming, or something else entirely? Racial purity, evolution, and what truly is natural are all played with.
Robo Pete
Decided to read this as a quick blast through after 1Q84 Book 2 and before 1Q84 Book 3 (which I don't have yet) and that's basically what this is. Bit of a space romp whose only redeeming factor is really the Dr. It's ok, but not one of the best Who novels I've read. Probably won't be pulling this back off the shelf any time soon.
Daniel Kukwa
A solid Terrance Dicks effort, that takes an overly-rambling, occasionally ludicrous TV story and transforms it into a tighter, slightly LESS ludicrous novelization. The novel's cover, however, is easily one of the best pieces of "Doctor Who" are EVER painted.
stormhawk
Heavy-handed, but entertaining tale of the worst of colonization. The Doctor did take remarkably well to being used as an errand boy, but I suppose any excuse for a drive will do ...
Robin
A sci-fi Heart of Darkness. Fantastic for taking to the beach or reading on the train.
Travis
A bit heavy handed with the message, but there's a cool alien and lots of action.
Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Okay, but the characters were a bit too unrealistic (eg, the Marshal).
bluetyson
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Dalar B
Dalar B marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Sep 05, 2014
Kate Kelly
Kate Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Sixten
Sixten marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Doctor Who and the Space War (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Sontaran Experiment (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit
  • Doctor Who and The Visitation
  • Mission to the Unknown (Doctor Who: The Daleks' Master Plan, Part 1)
  • Doctor Who and the Zarbi (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Frontios (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 91)
  • Doctor Who: The Massacre (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 122)
  • Doctor Who: Planet of Fire (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 93)
  • Doctor Who and the Seeds of Doom (Target Doctor Who Library)
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als
More about Terrance Dicks...
Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors Doctor Who and an Unearthly Child Timewyrm: Exodus Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1) Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)