Start by marking “Doctor Who And The Mutants (The Doctor Who Library, No. 44)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who And The Mutants (The Doctor Who Library, No. 44)

Doctor Who And The Mutants (Doctor Who Library (Target) #44)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
What was happening to the people of Solos? Why are they gradually turning into Monsters? Hands that become claws, flesh that turns scale-like...
Paperback
Published May 1st 1983 by Target Books, Carol Pub Group (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who And The Mutants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who And The Mutants

Doctor Who and the Ark in Space by Ian MarterDoctor Who and the Seeds of Doom by Philip HinchcliffeDoctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster by Terrance DicksDoctor Who by Terrance DicksDoctor Who and the Green Death by Malcolm Hulke
Target Doctor Who
70th out of 105 books — 14 voters
Doctor Who by Jacqueline RaynerDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Trevor BaxendaleDoctor Who by Gareth RobertsDoctor Who by Paul Cornell
Best Doctor Who Books
214th out of 214 books — 184 voters

More lists with this book...

Rasheed
Mar 28, 2010 Rasheed rated it it was amazing
I think this was the 1st Doctor Who book I read, and it was sufficient to get me hooked.
Christian Petrie
Jul 22, 2014 Christian Petrie rated it really liked it
I was never interested in this book to begin with. As a kid I would see it on the shelf and bypass it. It was my mother who bought me a copy when I was sick. After re-reading this all these years later, my view has changed.

It is a Target book so the expectations were not high. When I started reading this, I was surprised how fast I read it and it kept my interest.

The main story is the Doctor and Jo are sent by the Time Lords to deliver a package. They don't know who it is for (a bit of an overs
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1037395.html#cutid4[return][return]I retain an affection for this book, even though the TV original is quite possibly the worst Pertwee story. Somehow the anti-colonial politics comes through both more clearly and more subtly; and we are spared the dodgy special effects and atrocious acting. One where the page is way better than the screen.[return][return]
Wealhtheow
Apr 11, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a surprisingly emotional book for me to read. The downtrodden natives of a distant planet in the distant future and slowly, inexorably transforming into monstrous lobster-ish creatures. Are the mutations caused by the violent terraforming, or something else entirely? Racial purity, evolution, and what truly is natural are all played with.
Eric
Mar 09, 2016 Eric rated it liked it
A recent find at a used-book shop, Doctor Who -The Mutants was a fun jump into nostalgia. I've seen the story only once so I wasn't too familiar with this one, but Terrance Dicks' novelisations of TV episodes are always serviceable.
Robo Pete
May 01, 2012 Robo Pete rated it liked it
Shelves: hmm
Decided to read this as a quick blast through after 1Q84 Book 2 and before 1Q84 Book 3 (which I don't have yet) and that's basically what this is. Bit of a space romp whose only redeeming factor is really the Dr. It's ok, but not one of the best Who novels I've read. Probably won't be pulling this back off the shelf any time soon.
Daniel Kukwa
Oct 29, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A solid Terrance Dicks effort, that takes an overly-rambling, occasionally ludicrous TV story and transforms it into a tighter, slightly LESS ludicrous novelization. The novel's cover, however, is easily one of the best pieces of "Doctor Who" are EVER painted.
stormhawk
Mar 22, 2012 stormhawk rated it liked it
Heavy-handed, but entertaining tale of the worst of colonization. The Doctor did take remarkably well to being used as an errand boy, but I suppose any excuse for a drive will do ...
Robin
Jul 14, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it
A sci-fi Heart of Darkness. Fantastic for taking to the beach or reading on the train.
Travis
Dec 05, 2009 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A bit heavy handed with the message, but there's a cool alien and lots of action.
Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Jan 04, 2013 Matthew Goode Ⓥ rated it liked it
Okay, but the characters were a bit too unrealistic (eg, the Marshal).
bluetyson
isbn,original
Brett
Brett added it
Jul 13, 2016
Ingibjörg Elefsen
Ingibjörg Elefsen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
J.C. Cauthon
J.C. Cauthon marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Gilbert Faisst
Gilbert Faisst rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
ben darker
ben darker rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Abraham
Abraham marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Fil
Fil rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Andrew Hinkinson
Andrew Hinkinson rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Bent
Bent marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Caine Rose
Caine Rose marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Tony Hale
Tony Hale rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Sontaran Experiment (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit
  • Doctor Who: Frontios (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 91)
  • Doctor Who and The Visitation
  • Doctor Who: Mission to the Unknown (The Daleks' Master Plan, Part 1)
  • Doctor Who: Planet of Fire
  • Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis
  • Doctor Who and the Zarbi (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: Fury from the Deep (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 110)
  • Doctor Who: Galaxy Four
  • Doctor Who: Enlightenment (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 85)
  • Doctor Who: The Awakening (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 95)
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als
More about Terrance Dicks...

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 156 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1)
  • Doctor Who And The Android Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos (Target Doctor Who Library)