Start by marking “November Mourns” as Want to Read:
November Mourns

November Mourns

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Two years ago Shad Jenkins went to prison for assaulting his
sister’s attacker. Now he has returned to the southern mountain town of Moon Run Hollow, only to find that Megan is dead. No one knows how she died–or why she was found on Gospel Trail Road, a dirt path leading up to the gorge high above the Chatalaha River, where victims of yellow fever were once brought to die.
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about November Mourns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about November Mourns

Melki
Nobody in prison ever hated him at first sight the way people at home did.

Shad has just spent two years in jail for assaulting the man who preyed on his sister. Then he receives a phone call from his father. Your sister's been killed. Come home 'fore you get on with your life.

So, he's back where it all began, in the hollow, where superstition and fear are a way of life. Surrounded by old enemies and demons, haunted by blood dreams and ghosts, he is determined to find out how his sister died. His
Ignacio Senao f
-Historia: 4. Venganza. Pues si te meten en la cárcel y mientras estas interno matan a tu hermana lo normal al salir es que te quieras vengar y sepas quien es. Todo esto ocurre en un pueblo, nada de ciudad, demasiado grande y gente… complicaría la trama. Con este argumento el aclamado director Park Chan-wook podría añadir otra película a su trilogía “La venganza”. Muy bien. El problema viene cuando se facilita la resolución con el típico desenlace paranormal de serie b, todo muy copiado del maes ...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
Like most of the young men in their twenties who are the protagonists of Tom Piccirilli's novels, Shad Jenkins receives visits from the dead. In Shad's case the ghost is the mother he never knew. She died shortly after he was born. But a few days before Shad's release from prison, his father calls to say that Shad's younger stepsister has been found dead on Gospel Trail Road. Her heart stopped. It is as though she simply went to sleep. The local police call it "death by misadventure," but before ...more
William M.
As always, Tom's writing is top notch. He's an incredible talent with a truly original voice. You could read any paragraph in this book and know immediately that it was a Tom Piccirilli novel. Although November Mourns has a very intriguing dark mystery at it's core, the setup seems a bit tired -- a man returns home to investigate the death of his sister. Been there. Done that. But Tom always makes it interesting and throws a few curve balls in the mix. His imagery is like poetry and I found myse ...more
Angie crosby
Okay. Didn't hold my attention well. Okay storyline of brother released from prison trying to figure out how his sister died. Choppy and just odd. Just wasn't that intersting. I read it though. It needed more something. More creepiness or something. I did like how it didn't end all happy.
Vince Darcangelo
This review originally appeared in the BOULDER WEEKLY

"What do you do when everyone around you is going a little mad, and there's nothing you can do to stop it? How resolved would you be in the nature of your own beliefs if you awoke one day and realized everything you knew up to that point might be wrong?"

So asks Tom Piccirilli, a Bram Stoker Award winner and Loveland-based author of dark fantasy fiction. He's referring to Shad Jenkins, the protagonist of his new book, November Mourns. Jenkins
Kelly
Party at my house! You'll find torches, tar, and feathers waiting in the back yard.

Rather than beat around the bush, hemming and hawing, let’s just jump right into these shark-infested waters, shall we? The pace is as slow as molasses and just as interesting to watch. For over one hundred and fifty pages nothing interesting happens. In fact, the speed irritated me so much that I locked it in the closet four separate times, in my attempt to read it. After screaming, “Bad, bad, bad book” more tim
Al

Two years ago Shad Jenkins went to prison for assaulting his

Navigating a world filled with abnormal children and clandestine snake handlers, one that is slowly being poisoned by ille

Lawrence FitzGerald
This is the first Tom Piccirilli I've read. The more knowledgeable Goodreads reviewers haven't been as enthusiastic about November Mourns; I bow to their superior wisdom, but...

Reading is an intensely personal thing and somehow for me this was just the right book at just the right time. Good prose, good characterization where needed, good atmosphere, good story, and a wonderful ambiguity to it all.

What does it all mean? I ask myself that every night between drinks. I'm not likely to find out; ju
Scott
Another winner from Tom Piccirilli. If you enjoy his other books, you will love this surreal noir/horror tale. He is truly an original and I'm sad I have read most of his books.
Melissa Bennett
My first Piccirilli book and unfortunately I wasn't that impressed. The story is about a guy named Shad who gets out of jail and heads back home to find out how his sister died. At the beginning I was really interested. The town sounded creepy. The mysteries behind the town even creepier. But as the story continued it seemed to just go around in circles. Finally towards the end it started to get really interesting again only to have a disappointing ending. I have read on other reviews that this ...more
Isidore
Interesting and successful blend of the hard-boiled and horror genres. For popular fiction, there's surprisingly little padding or pandering to the audience: the character of Elfie perhaps isn't necessary except to supply some (redundant) sex, but otherwise the author sticks to developing ideas and atmosphere. The ending is particularly clever, furnishing a villain for the more literal-minded, while leaving things wide-open for those who prefer a more elusive and fantastic resolution. Well above ...more
DJMikeG
This book contains passages of intensely beautiful and poetic writing. Piccirilli is definitely talented, but overall, the narrative didn't quite hold up to the high standard of the descriptive and insightful prose. Still highly recommended for those who love supernatural thrillers, but want them written well. This was my first book by Piccirilli, and I look forward to reading more of his work.
David Holdredge
A mediocre read from an incredible author. Piccirilli's prose is polished and attractive, much like the workings of a Flannery O'Connor; however, his storyline gets lost behind all of the depressive description and flair. The storyline was top notch, but too many dull and bland areas of tedium all too often forgot to progress the storyline at a pace in which I enjoy.
Martha
I just read this book a little here and there, so it may not have had the impact it should have. All I know is after all the great build-up, I expected more from the outcome. Ever finish a book and think you liked the characters at first, but by the end you didn't care about any of them?
Elyse
I picked this one up at a yard sale thinking it looked interesting and read it pretty quickly, but I wasn't really that impressed by it. It's not of those books that stuck with me and I can't really say I remember it that well.
I really enjoyed this trip to back to Appalachia. The mood and sense of premonition are palpable here and I love that the mystery is never fully revealed.
Timothy Youngs
Really, really good backwoods hillbilly story from the dependable wordsmith Tom Piccirilli.
Christine
Psychological Suspense: Not believable..too bizaare. Had to push through it.
Brian Southards
Brian Southards marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lidia
Lidia marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • The Guardener's Tale
  • Grimm Memorials
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 17
  • The Freakshow
Hellboy: Emerald Hell The Last Kind Words A Choir of Ill Children The Cold Spot Every Shallow Cut