Start by marking “Honest Money: Biblical Principles of Money and Banking (Biblical Blueprint Series, #5)” as Want to Read:

We are now facing a monetary crisis of astronomical proportions. Government debt is skyrocketing. Currencies are collapsing. Banks are going broke. Businesses are folding. Families are struggling. We've been stranded, sitting on top of a mountain of IOU' that will never be paid off. Most professional economists don't know what to do. Neither do most professional theologian ...more
Published 1986 by Christian Liberty Press

To ask other readers questions about Honest Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honest Money

Dan Walker
Dec 31, 2011 Dan Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics, religion
I've been a church-going Christian my entire life, and attended church-supported schools all the way through college. But I could probably count on one hand how many times anyone even mentioned the Bible and money in the same sentence - unless it was an offering call!

I recently purchased an Andrews Study Bible. It includes brief comments on almost very verse - except for many of the verses referenced in Honest Money!

The point is this: it seems Christians have totally punted on the idea that the
Christopher Goins
Aug 17, 2014 Christopher Goins rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Christians open to seeing how God's law applies in our economic affairs
This book, written near the end of the Reagan years, in 1986, makes the following prediction: "First, the bankers and the politicians will continue to try to make the present system work. This will make the present system worse. Second, there will be a collapse in stages: inflation, then mass inflation, then price controls, then tyranny, and finally a worldwide deflationary depression."

His first prediction has come true. Politicians and central bankers have punted the necessary economic correcti
Sheryl Tribble
May 07, 2012 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it
North doesn't try to force the Bible through any of his favorite filters, so the book is pretty straightforward and quite readable. One of North's better efforts.

I suspect that a nice companion to this would be John Lanchester's "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone And No One Can Pay", which shows what the whole "fractional reserve banking" mentality can lead to. If banks can "invent" money through fractional reserve banking, why not invent it in other ways, as well? Although I haven't finished
Mark Lush
Jan 26, 2015 Mark Lush rated it it was amazing
"Our political goal should not be a government-imposed gold standard; it should be the abolition of fractional reserve banking and the enforcement of fixed weights and measures."
Nov 17, 2011 Jimmy added it
I write this review during a time in the United States where Occupy Wall Street and protests against banks is on the front page news. In light of the attention on economics and banking, this book is one that would serve as a Christian introduction to the concept of money, and banking. I thoroughly recommend this book, since North's argument follows and is presented clearly. Here I can only highlight a few points from the work: North makes the argument that historically money is valuable socially ...more
Laura Verret
Mar 16, 2012 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In today's monetary disaster (which we call the economy), honest money does not exist. Instead, our entire system is built upon false weights and measures. But what can we as Christians do? Is there a Biblical response to such dishonesty?

Dr. North argues that there is. In Honest Money he lays out just such a response in simple, easy to understand terms. This is a must-read for those who are concerned with our economy, and a great introduction for those who aren't already familiar with economics.
Jun 30, 2009 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary North, of course, is a nut, though he doesn't seem to be quite as loony in this book as in his later writings.

With that in mind, the book is pretty solidly biblical and well written, though at times I think he's reading the Austrian school of economics into the bible rather than the other way around. He makes good arguments for his positions, though, and what he has to say is certainly relevant these days. Worth a read.
Jacob Aitken
Basically free-market economics with biblical window-dressing. For the most part, I agree with the conservative restraint behind these principles, but free marketers act like the Market itself is some neutral entity that will force all to "play nice." On the anti-statist market principles, it's hard to see who will stop a George Soros from manipulating the market and ruining hundreds of millions of lives (which he did).

You can't call the state in because that would be regulation.
Andy Kenway
Aug 29, 2013 Andy Kenway rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic primer on the biblical basis for currency and the moral problems with fractional reserve banking. Honest Money is wonderfully simple and powerful at the same time. I find myself recommending this book at least once a month, it seems, usually to young people who want to make sense of the problems with our financial system.
Brad Belschner
Oct 04, 2011 Brad Belschner marked it as to-read-eventually
Shelves: economics
I read this before, years ago, and I can remember passages of it vividly. I should probably read it again, to see what I can glean.
Michael rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
david l shannon
david l shannon rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Elise Reich
Elise Reich rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Cheyenne Schoeman
Cheyenne Schoeman rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Ellen rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Tim rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Bob rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Claude rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2011
John Rushing
John Rushing rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Kevin Johnston
Kevin Johnston rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Daniel Kleven
Daniel Kleven rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Toby rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Chad rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Raicho rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Sue rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2009
Jkplayschess rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Jessica Langer
Jessica Langer rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Argin Gerigorian
Argin Gerigorian rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Gary Kilgore North is an American economic historian. Writing from a Christian Reconstructionist perspective, North has authored or coauthored over fifty books on topics including Christian theology, economics, and history. He is an Associated Scholar of the Ludwig von Mises Institute.

In addition, North offers the Ron Paul Curriculum, a home school online curriculum associated with former U.S. Con
More about Gary North...

“The trouble is, nobody knows exactly how the world really works. We are all fallible people with limited knowledge. It is only through Biblical revelation from the One who knows how the world really works because He made it and actively sustains it that anyone can come to a competent understanding of the world.” 3 likes