Honest Money: Biblical Principles of Money and Banking (Biblical Blueprint Series, #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews
We are now facing a monetary crisis of astronomical proportions. Government debt is skyrocketing. Currencies are collapsing. Banks are going broke. Businesses are folding. Families are struggling. We've been stranded, sitting on top of a mountain of IOU' that will never be paid off. Most professional economists don't know what to do. Neither do most professional theologian...more
Published 1986 by Christian Liberty Press

To ask other readers questions about Honest Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honest Money

Dan Walker
I've been a church-going Christian my entire life, and attended church-supported schools all the way through college. But I could probably count on one hand how many times anyone even mentioned the Bible and money in the same sentence - unless it was an offering call!

I recently purchased an Andrews Study Bible. It includes brief comments on almost very verse - except for many of the verses referenced in Honest Money!

The point is this: it seems Christians have totally punted on the idea that the...more
Sheryl Tribble
North doesn't try to force the Bible through any of his favorite filters, so the book is pretty straightforward and quite readable. One of North's better efforts.

I suspect that a nice companion to this would be John Lanchester's "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone And No One Can Pay", which shows what the whole "fractional reserve banking" mentality can lead to. If banks can "invent" money through fractional reserve banking, why not invent it in other ways, as well? Although I haven't finished...more
Christopher Goins
Aug 17, 2014 Christopher Goins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Christians open to seeing how God's law applies in our economic affairs
This book, written near the end of the Reagan years, in 1986, makes the following prediction: "First, the bankers and the politicians will continue to try to make the present system work. This will make the present system worse. Second, there will be a collapse in stages: inflation, then mass inflation, then price controls, then tyranny, and finally a worldwide deflationary depression."

His first prediction has come true. Politicians and central bankers have punted the necessary economic correcti...more
Jimmy
Nov 17, 2011 Jimmy added it
I write this review during a time in the United States where Occupy Wall Street and protests against banks is on the front page news. In light of the attention on economics and banking, this book is one that would serve as a Christian introduction to the concept of money, and banking. I thoroughly recommend this book, since North's argument follows and is presented clearly. Here I can only highlight a few points from the work: North makes the argument that historically money is valuable socially...more
In today's monetary disaster (which we call the economy), honest money does not exist. Instead, our entire system is built upon false weights and measures. But what can we as Christians do? Is there a Biblical response to such dishonesty?

Dr. North argues that there is. In Honest Money he lays out just such a response in simple, easy to understand terms. This is a must-read for those who are concerned with our economy, and a great introduction for those who aren't already familiar with economics....more
Jacob Aitken
Basically free-market economics with biblical window-dressing. For the most part, I agree with the conservative restraint behind these principles, but free marketers act like the Market itself is some neutral entity that will force all to "play nice." On the anti-statist market principles, it's hard to see who will stop a George Soros from manipulating the market and ruining hundreds of millions of lives (which he did).

You can't call the state in because that would be regulation.
Bob
Gary North, of course, is a nut, though he doesn't seem to be quite as loony in this book as in his later writings.

With that in mind, the book is pretty solidly biblical and well written, though at times I think he's reading the Austrian school of economics into the bible rather than the other way around. He makes good arguments for his positions, though, and what he has to say is certainly relevant these days. Worth a read.
Andy Kenway
This is a fantastic primer on the biblical basis for currency and the moral problems with fractional reserve banking. Honest Money is wonderfully simple and powerful at the same time. I find myself recommending this book at least once a month, it seems, usually to young people who want to make sense of the problems with our financial system.
Brad Belschner
Oct 04, 2011 Brad Belschner marked it as to-read-eventually
Shelves: economics
I read this before, years ago, and I can remember passages of it vividly. I should probably read it again, to see what I can glean.
Kathy
Interesting viewpoint. Just a tad scary.
Svyatoslav Kleshchev
Svyatoslav Kleshchev marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kent
Kent marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Mark Lush
Mark Lush is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Zach Boyle
Zach Boyle marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Kels
Kels marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Bro_Pair أعرف
Bro_Pair أعرف marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Eve Victorie
Eve Victorie is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Matthew Hunter
Matthew Hunter marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gary Kilgore North is an American economic historian. Writing from a Christian Reconstructionist perspective, North has authored or coauthored over fifty books on topics including Christian theology, economics, and history. He is an Associated Scholar of the Ludwig von Mises Institute.

In addition, North offers the Ron Paul Curriculum, a home school online curriculum associated with former U.S. Con...more
More about Gary North...
Dominion & Common Grace Backward Christian Soldiers: 75 Bible Questions Your Instructors Pray You Won't Ask Puritan Economics Experiments: Conspiracy: A Biblical View

“The trouble is, nobody knows exactly how the world really works. We are all fallible people with limited knowledge. It is only through Biblical revelation from the One who knows how the world really works because He made it and actively sustains it that anyone can come to a competent understanding of the world.” 2 likes