Start by marking “Never Knit Your Man a Sweater (Unless You've Got the Ring!)” as Want to Read:
Never Knit Your Man a Sweater (Unless You've Got the Ring!)

Never Knit Your Man a Sweater (Unless You've Got the Ring!)

Is he sweater-worthy? According to Judith Durant, no man deserves a sweater until the relationshipinvolves long-term commitment. It’s just too risky to put all that time and effort and love into a knitted garment for a man who might be long gone by the time the sweater actually looks like a sweater.

But knitters do want to make soft, warm things for the people they love — n
Published December 30th 2006 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published December 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Knit Your Man a Sweater

Kate
Jun 24, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
I checked this book out at the same time I checked out Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, looking for something I could knit for my boyfriend's birthday. I was not very impressed with the patterns in this book. They were pretty generic and boring. The patterns were arranged by the level of commitment in the relationship, starting with small things like hats and mittens to large items like vests and sweaters for the married couple. I feel like most of these patterns could be found in other knitting books. T ...more
rabbitprincess
Some interesting patterns in here with a good progression of difficulty. However, the culminating project is really not that attractive -- seems to be complicated for the sake of being complicated. Too many fussy stitches.

Patterns I have tried and liked:

- the coasters
- the iPod cover

Patterns I would like to try:

- the plain socks
- the diamond scarf
- the watch cap
- the argyle socks
- the mitten/glove hybrids
- (possibly) the houndstooth vest
- the cotton classic sweater
tuttle88
Dec 15, 2011 tuttle88 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
I was hesitant to pick up this book. I assumed from the title it was going to piss me off. Like the author would say something along the lines of a crappy romantic comedy where the woman was desperate to get an engagement ring. that that's what all women want and all we care about and we should sit at home and knit and worry that our men didn't love us.

I was wrong, this is actually a pretty cool book. There are some good patterns for men (I haven't tried to knit any of them so I can't judge thei
Tanya
Jun 01, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
Currently working on the flip your lid gloves, so far so good.
Sharron
Oct 05, 2007 Sharron rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
The premise of this book is that a woman should never knit her man a sweater unless she has the ring or when the sweater is finished so is the relationship. Okay, a little old-fashioned but the projects are geared for men and range in skill and length of time needed to complete. I haven't found a lot of knitting books that cater to men's designs and since my husband's been wanting me to knit him something, I bought this book. I'm starting with a scarf. We'll see how the relationship goes.
Beth
Jun 06, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
It is hard to find good patterns to knit for men, but this book contains mostly things to make for the man in your life, from scarves and socks to vests and sweaters of varying difficulty. A few projects (iPod cover, laptop cover) are unisex. The techniques are illustrated with clear drawings and tips set off in tinted boxes.
Mary
Mar 04, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me, knows I will read any book that has a fun title (i.e. How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams, etc). Loved the title. This book is not just for a single woman, it is also for a beginning knitter. Each pattern helps the beginner progress from one thing to another learning new things as you go.
Elizabeth
Flipped through in a knitting store - Aug 2010. Looks really good--both for humour and for patterns.
Aquit
The only pattern useful for this book was the laptop cover. I couldn't even follow the other patterns.
bridget.
Jun 10, 2009 bridget. rated it liked it
cleverly written. has some nice patterns. has some lame ones. with bad pictures.
Kari
Jun 24, 2010 Kari rated it it was amazing
I am going to make the i-pod cover for my brother for christmas!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Vera
Vera added it
Sep 08, 2016
Emily Mortensen
Emily Mortensen marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Treehouse
Treehouse marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Bibliothekerin
Bibliothekerin rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Constance
Constance rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2015
Toffeeelmo
Toffeeelmo marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Kristina Smith
Kristina Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Michelle Fobbs
Michelle Fobbs marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Brian Griffiths
Brian Griffiths rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Stormy
Stormy rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Judith Durant is a knitter and beadworker as well as author and editor of several books on both subjects. Trained as a theatrical costume designer, she took a circuitous route through various costume shops in New York, on to a New York theatrical book publishing house, and then to Interweave Press in Colorado, where she was book editor and one of the founding editors of Interweave Knits.

Judith is
More about Judith Durant...