Start by marking “Full House: An Invitation to Fractions” as Want to Read:
Full House: An Invitation to Fractions

Full House: An Invitation to Fractions

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  29 reviews
With Dayle Ann Dodds’s engaging rhymes and Abby Carter’s dynamic illustrations, this introduction to fractions is a piece of cake.

Miss Bloom runs the Strawberry Inn, and she absolutely loves visitors. Throughout the day, she welcomes a cast of hilarious characters, from a duchess to a dog trainer, until all the rooms are taken. It’s a full house! But in the middle of the n
Published October 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Full House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full House

Christian Houseworth
This book makes learning fractions so much fun! The author, Dayle Ann Dodds, is a former elementary teacher. She was inspired to write this book because fractions were somewhat difficult for her to understand. This story was about Miss Bloom who was the owner of Strawberry Inn and her goal was to have all the rooms filled. She had six rooms in her inn; she occupied one which meant she counted for 1/6. As each guest arrived, she displays the fraction of how many rooms were filled. The book has a ...more
Casey Richard
Miss Bloom runs the Strawberry Inn. Here, she has 6 rooms and many different people who are deciding to stay in these rooms. As each person checks in to stay in the rooms, a fraction is shown (1/6) stating that one person is occupying a room, out of a total of 6 rooms. The book continues to count up as the Inn starts to fill up. This would be a great book to introduce my students to fractions. If I have a document camera in my classroom, it would be fun to put this book under the camera and foll ...more
Alexa Maring
A cute book that introduces fractions! I love how this book discusses fractions as pieces of a whole. Another reason why I like this book, is because the fractions increase by a constant rate. This allows students to better gain an understanding for the concept, rather than showing random fractions such as 1/6, 7/8, 2/3, etc. It is harder to make this series of fractions concrete because the number of pieces in the whole are not equal. By keeping the amount to make a whole consistent and increas ...more
Laura Carby
Miss Bloom runs the Strawberry Inn, and she loves visitors. All through the day she welcomes a cast of hilarious characters until all the rooms are taken. It’s a full house! But in the middle of the night, Miss Bloom senses that something is amiss — and sure enough, the guests are all downstairs eating dessert. Readers will be inspired to do the math and discover that one delicious cake divided by five hungry guests and one doting hostess equals a perfect midnight snack at the Strawberry Inn. I ...more
Christiana Tarpley
This is an awesome book!! The house as 6 available rooms and Miss Bloom is trying to fill each bedroom. Each page explains the fraction at the bottom of the page and then shows an example of what the fraction would look like using numbers. This is a great introduction to fractions!! Repition is used after each room is filled by saying, "knock-knock! went the door. Ding-dong! the bell rang. Welcome, welcome," Miss Bloom sang. This is a wonderful book with so many purposes! Rhyme and sequence coul ...more
Marlee
I was quite disappointed in this book despite the fact that both of my children enjoyed it. The story itself is simply and nicely written. However, I felt that more could have been done with the fractions, such as saying that 3/6 is also one half. I felt that this could have been done without taking away from the story. To be fair, I may not have expected anything more if the cover hadn't said "an invitation to fractions". The story itself was quick, simple, and captivating even for my 9 year ol ...more
Chelsea Ulrich
This book could be used with students to introduce fractions as students read about an inn that is not full but starts to fill as new guests arrive. The book shows the fraction of the inn that is filled on each page but I think it would be helpful to allow students to think about this using maNipulatives or possibly shading in a house with six rooms on their own as guests arrive in the story. I could see using this book to introduce fractions to the class probably to second or third graders.
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is about a lady who runs the Strawberry Inn and it becomes full with guests who then end up splitting a cake into individual pieces and dividing it up. I would use this book to teach fractions and dividing and I would probably bring in a strawberry cake and have the children decide and explore with how to cut and divide it. (With plastic knives of course!) This book has beautiful illustrations and also rhymes throughout so it could also be used to talk about rhyming words.
Roshini R.
This adorably illustrated book invites one to open the pages and learn about fractions without even realizing it. The simple rhyming story subtly explores fractions as one hilarious guest after another takes a room at Miss Bloom’s Strawberry Inn until it’s a full house. Children learn about fractions as each vacancy is filled and slices of strawberry cake with whipped cream are devoured. Math Principles + Fun = Winning Combination!
Scott Roark
Great book for introduction of fractions. Book uses rhymes to make the book flow easily. Owner has six rooms and she eventually fills them up with guests, during which 1/6, 2/6 etc is shown. At end they eat a cake and it shows a pie form cut into 6 pieces and labeled each as 1/6. Underneath the dish it shows that 6/6 = 1. Great to have in the library during your fraction lesson plans.
Sophia Martin
This is a great book for introducing fractions! This book is about a woman, Ms. Bloom, who runs an Inn that has a hits of guests come to stay one particular night. Fractions come into play all throughout the book. Ms. Bloom wants to fill all of the rooms(6/6) and when there's a delicious cake, late at night in the kitchen, that all the guests want. But how do you divide it up?
JustOneMoreBook.com
Cheerfully wobbly illustrations combine with rhyme, repetition and a cast of colourful characters to make this sneaky introduction to fractions a read-aloud hit.

You can listen to our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
The Library Lady
The rhymes are not engaging, they are wobbly. Throwing the fraction theme in makes this educational, but it seems forced.
And who is this for? It seems too little kid for the children doing fractions. That is unless all those incredibly "gifted and talented" 3 year olds out there are now learning fractions along with second languages and stringed instruments.
Kimberly Martin
Full House is a book that discusses the concepts of fractions through dividing up dessert with a number of house guests. I liked that in this particular book the fractions increased at a constant rate and it was easy to follow. Fractions can be tough sometimes, so I think introducing in this manner makes the concept not so overwhelming.
Sade
Jul 17, 2012 Sade added it
This is a fun introduction to fractions, though the title puts it more cutely. The repetition in this book makes it perfect for reading over and over again to young kids who love to join in. I would use this book several days so the children can see how fun fractions are and how they had already been using them in everyday life.
Nadine
This a story that rhymes. I think it would keep the younger students very interested in the story which teaches fractions in a subtle way. As the inn keeper fills her 6 rooms, her first guest is represented by 1/6, one of her six rooms are filled. Her second guest is 2/6, and so forth. So easy to follow and understand.
Nicole Holden
This is an excellent way to intoduce student to using fraction. I really like the way the fraction is shown at the bottom of each page. In the book Full House, Mrs Bloom has six rooms that she is trying to occupy. When the room is filled, then there is a cute rhyme the book sings over and over.

Auttumn C
A sweet rhyming book that has fractions galore! students will be able to visualize the fractions throughout the book. This book is great for beginning fractions. after the read aloud the students could act out the book and pretend to be each guest and review their fractions in a fun new way!
Monica
"Invitation to fractions," as included in the title, is a good way of putting it because this book successfully teaches about fractions without the common mistake of being dreadfully boring. The story is entertaining enough in and of itself and the rhyming is skillfully arranged.
Jessica Vu
Great book for fractions. Parts of a whole using rooms in an inn and a strawberry cake.
Have students make their own fraction house. How many rooms will they have? What will occupy or not occupy the rooms. Have them write their own fraction book with this same idea.
Nicole
Such a cute book. Teaches iteration with fractions. There are 6 rooms at the inn and Miss Bloom wants to fill them all. First 1/6 of the rooms are taken and so on. Very well written and fun to read. The characters who come to the inn are just that, characters!

Ages 6-9.
Jasmin Thompson
Absolutely love this book. I used it to teach a lesson plan on fractions and the students love it. The story is about a lady who owns an inn with 6 rooms. As the rooms are being filled, students will learn what fraction of the inn is occupied or vacant.
babyhippoface
Rhyming text and illustrations bursting with color and motion introduce the concept of fractions. As one guest after another shows up on the doorstep of the Strawberry Inn requesting a room, Miss Bloom takes note that it's filling up one-sixth at a time.
Lindsey Rutledge
This is a great book to help introduce fractions to your class. The illustrations are great in this book. Students can follow along with how their snacks in the inn were divided up.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-1. Picture book. A very basic book about fractions with rhyming text that is sometimes forced. Guests begin to arrive at an inn and each room fills up until the house is full.
Jasmine
This would be a great bpook to use when introducing students to fractions. This a very funny and interesting book that will have students excited to learn about fractions.
Raenuka Mallikarjun
A very cute illustration on fractions. It is educational for kids and has really good pictures.
Jermaine
This book will be agreat book to introduce fractions.
Johanna
I love math books.
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...
The Prince Won't Go to Bed! Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu Teacher's Pets Hello, Sun! Sing, Sophie!