Start by marking “Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler” as Want to Read:
Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler

Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler

"Ratline" is the documented history about the mechanisms by which thousands of other Nazi war criminals fled to the remotest parts of the globe--including quite possibly Adolf Hitler.

It is a story involving Soviet spies, Nazi priests, and a network of Catholic monasteries and safe houses known as the ratline. The name of one priest in particular, Monsignor Draganovic, was
Published May 14th 2014 by Ibis Press (first published November 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ratline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ratline

Whitley
May 06, 2012 Whitley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I review a lot of conspiracy books for my radio show Dreamland, and I was prepared to be dismissive of yet another tome claiming that Hitler survived the war. However, Ratline is startling, well researched and ultimately convincing, largely because Levenda actually visited the places in Indonesia that are relevant to his story, and did on-site research. But beyond all that, he discovered a tiny fact that is just incredible, that suggests that the Trevor-Roper account of the last days in the bunk ...more
Richard Stuart
Jun 04, 2012 Richard Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this book does not make you think twice about the veracity of history, nothing will. The premise is nothing short of unbelievable: Hitler died in 1970, in Indonesia! Of course one laughs out loud at this conceit, at first... but then, Levenda starts going over the known facts of Hitler's 'suicide' and the seed of doubt is not only planted, it starts to grow.
This book is remarkable because it details so many other verifiable cases of Nazi war criminals escaping out of Germany and then Europe
Manheim Wagner
While it's probable that Hitler and Eva Braun did escape the bunker and Hugh Trevor-Roper's account of Hitler's death is nothing more than a myth, this book doe not make a convincing argument that Hitler escaped to Indonesia. Peter Levenda does not present any compelling or solid evidence to support his theory. All of the evidence is circumspect at best and would not hold up in any investigation.
Kelley
Nov 25, 2016 Kelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could be a conspiracy theorist's delight. Indeed there is little dispute that a post-World War 2 escape routes existed for Nazis accused of war crimes. Levanda brings out evidence to support this that is well-documented elsewhere. The simple fact that it is very well known that Nazi war criminals were caught or discovered years and decades after the war's end in various South American countries, the US, and elsewhere shows clear evidence to support that. Levanda however spends the focu ...more
Steven Howes
Apr 27, 2013 Steven Howes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author presents a compelling trail of evidence supporting the theory that Adolph Hitler did not commit suicide in his bunker in Berlin on April 30, 1945, and was spirited out of Germany, eventually ending up in, of all places, Indonesia. The mechanisms for such an escape were in place and well-documented. It certainly makes sense to me that if many high-ranking Nazi officials and military leaders were able to escape detection by the Allies and end up in safe havens across the world, then why ...more
Jeremy Maddux
Jul 06, 2013 Jeremy Maddux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Archbishop Alois Hudal wrote, in a book published in 1976: “ I felt duty bound after 1945 to devote my whole charitable work mainly to former National Socialists and Fascists, especially the so-called “war criminals.” 75

Levenda, Peter (2012-04-17). Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler (Kindle Locations 1321-1323). Nicolas-Hays, Inc. Kindle Edition.

What a virtuous man to devote the rest of his life to such an endeavor (sic)! God's work indeed!

Peter Levend
Frederick Dotolo
Really intriguing book- the title is named after a secret escape route that hard rightwingers (anti-Communists, Cold War governments, and the Catholic Church) used to help evacuate Nazis out of Europe. The book argues that Hitler escaped Germany in April 1945 via the ratline and lived out his days in Indonesia, where he ran an obscure German clinic that was stumbled upon during Operation Hope in 1960. Levanda provides a lengthy document trail that is convincing with two caveats: he seems to take ...more
Roger Charles
This was a disappointing book. In some ways it doesn't miss by alot of being much better. The subject matter is complex and I didn't feel it was dealt with in an efficient manner. Don't get me wrong, the author advances an interesting theory, but rambles too much on alot of periphery issues. This book may have been more efficient if it had been half the length. Bottom line though the author does show there was insufficient evidence to ever say that Hitler committed suicide and died in a bunker. ...more
Mike Smith
Jan 19, 2016 Mike Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy
A well researched theory about how Hitler faked his own death to lead a normal life in Indonesia. The author uses many declassified documents to piece together a plausible story of how Hitler could have escaped from Nazi Germany at the end of the War. There are still many hole in the story that need to be filled. Hopefully future declassifications and more research will tell the world the true story of Hitler's fate.
Sharon Scott
Again an excellent book. Peter Levenda is one of my favorites. He is a terrific investigating journalists of our time. At least that is my opinion. He actually has very sound wisdom and proof that what he writes in this book is true. A lot of this has been proven as late and most people believe it is all true!
Diane Cadei
It seems there will never be a definitive answer to the disappearance of Adolf Hitler, but Mr. Levenda makes some interesting suggestions in this book. I thought I knew a lot about the end of WWII, but I'm stunned by what has been hidden by the powers that be. I learned a lot.
Colin
Jun 01, 2012 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
This was a good story that did make me rethink what I knew about this entire time period. What he says is definitely possible, but I would like to see more concrete evidnece, which we will not get. - High powers have buried it if it exists.
Aug 10, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lavenda's overuse of the ellipsis for dramatic effect is egregious.
Jim Kilson
Aug 04, 2016 Jim Kilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensationalistic.... yes. Does it make you think and question the official account... absolutely.
Michael
Good book, but to me the author seems to like to blame only certain groups, when in his own writing, he explains how much of a mess Europe was in.
Charlotte mann
interesting proposition, but messily written.
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Odd Austrud
Odd Austrud rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Antonio
Antonio rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Jon Trinity
Jon Trinity rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Sherwood Kent
Sherwood Kent rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Spencer
Spencer rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Roger Stolle
Roger Stolle rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Susan  Klopfer
Susan Klopfer rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Kirsten Chappell
Kirsten Chappell rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
Paul Toner
Paul Toner rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2012
Lexi Dietrich
Lexi Dietrich rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Author who focuses primarily on occult history. He is best known for his book Unholy Alliance, which is about Esoteric Hitlerism and Nazi occultism, and is believed to be the author of the Simon Necronomicon, albeit without much evidence.

He was the president of the international division of Ortronics, Inc., a telecommunications company based in Asia.

He appeared in the TNT documentary Faces of Evil
More about Peter Levenda...