Start by marking “Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler” as Want to Read:
Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler

Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Ratline" is the documented history about the mechanisms by which thousands of other Nazi war criminals fled to the remotest parts of the globe--including quite possibly Adolf Hitler.

It is a story involving Soviet spies, Nazi priests, and a network of Catholic monasteries and safe houses known as the ratline. The name of one priest in particular, Monsignor Draganovic, was
Published April 17th 2012 by Ibis Press (first published November 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ratline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ratline

Whitley
I review a lot of conspiracy books for my radio show Dreamland, and I was prepared to be dismissive of yet another tome claiming that Hitler survived the war. However, Ratline is startling, well researched and ultimately convincing, largely because Levenda actually visited the places in Indonesia that are relevant to his story, and did on-site research. But beyond all that, he discovered a tiny fact that is just incredible, that suggests that the Trevor-Roper account of the last days in the bunk ...more
Richard Stuart
If this book does not make you think twice about the veracity of history, nothing will. The premise is nothing short of unbelievable: Hitler died in 1970, in Indonesia! Of course one laughs out loud at this conceit, at first... but then, Levenda starts going over the known facts of Hitler's 'suicide' and the seed of doubt is not only planted, it starts to grow.
This book is remarkable because it details so many other verifiable cases of Nazi war criminals escaping out of Germany and then Europe
Steven Howes
The author presents a compelling trail of evidence supporting the theory that Adolph Hitler did not commit suicide in his bunker in Berlin on April 30, 1945, and was spirited out of Germany, eventually ending up in, of all places, Indonesia. The mechanisms for such an escape were in place and well-documented. It certainly makes sense to me that if many high-ranking Nazi officials and military leaders were able to escape detection by the Allies and end up in safe havens across the world, then why ...more
Jeremy Maddux
As Archbishop Alois Hudal wrote, in a book published in 1976: “ I felt duty bound after 1945 to devote my whole charitable work mainly to former National Socialists and Fascists, especially the so-called “war criminals.” 75

Levenda, Peter (2012-04-17). Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler (Kindle Locations 1321-1323). Nicolas-Hays, Inc. Kindle Edition.

What a virtuous man to devote the rest of his life to such an endeavor (sic)! God's work indeed!

Peter Levend
Frederick Dotolo
Really intriguing book- the title is named after a secret escape route that hard rightwingers (anti-Communists, Cold War governments, and the Catholic Church) used to help evacuate Nazis out of Europe. The book argues that Hitler escaped Germany in April 1945 via the ratline and lived out his days in Indonesia, where he ran an obscure German clinic that was stumbled upon during Operation Hope in 1960. Levanda provides a lengthy document trail that is convincing with two caveats: he seems to take ...more
Manheim Wagner
While it's probable that Hitler and Eva Braun did escape the bunker and Hugh Trevor-Roper's account of Hitler's death is nothing more than a myth, this book doe not make a convincing argument that Hitler escaped to Indonesia. Peter Levenda does not present any compelling or solid evidence to support his theory. All of the evidence is circumspect at best and would not hold up in any investigation.
Diane Cadei
It seems there will never be a definitive answer to the disappearance of Adolf Hitler, but Mr. Levenda makes some interesting suggestions in this book. I thought I knew a lot about the end of WWII, but I'm stunned by what has been hidden by the powers that be. I learned a lot.
Colin
This was a good story that did make me rethink what I knew about this entire time period. What he says is definitely possible, but I would like to see more concrete evidnece, which we will not get. - High powers have buried it if it exists.
Lavenda's overuse of the ellipsis for dramatic effect is egregious.
Clive
Clive marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Dale Stonehouse
Dale Stonehouse is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Leon
Leon added it
Mar 10, 2015
Angella Khan
Angella Khan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Becky Heitmann
Becky Heitmann marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Pr0fanus
Pr0fanus marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Bojan Pasic
Bojan Pasic marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Tyler Bernhardt
Tyler Bernhardt marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Ethan Kanton
Ethan Kanton marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Author who focuses primarily on occult history. He is best known for his book Unholy Aliance, which is about Esoteric Hitlerism and Nazi occultism, and is also author of the Simon Necronomicon.

He was the president of the international division of Ortronics, Inc., a telecommunications company based in Asia.

He appeared in the TNT documentary Faces of Evil as an expert on Nazi history with special re
More about Peter Levenda...
Unholy Alliance: A History of Nazi Involvement with the Occult Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft Sinister Forces�The Manson Secret: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft Sinister Forces�A Warm Gun: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft The Dark Lord: H.P. Lovecraft, Kenneth Grant, and the Typhonian Tradition in Magic