Start by marking “Blackberries, Blackberries” as Want to Read:
Blackberries, Blackberries

Blackberries, Blackberries

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"Being country is as much a part of me as my full lips, wide hips, dreadlocks and high cheek bones. There are many Black country folks who have lived and are living in small towns, up hollers and across knobs. They are all over the South--scattered like milk thistle seeds in the wind.
Published September 1st 2001 by Toby Press (first published July 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blackberries, Blackberries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackberries, Blackberries

Feb 24, 2015 Didi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of short story collections about women
I read this one gradually over the month of February. I'm still trying to get used to and love short story collections. As it turns out I loved this one. It is a series of short stories that turns around women and young girls. It has a southern drawl to it since it seems to be based in Kentucky. The author Crystal Wilkinson is from Kentucky. Each story contains themes that touch women to their core - sexuality, coming of age, child birth, relationships, racism, etc. The stories are as short as a ...more
Michael Strode
Crystal Wilkinson has managed to capture in this text a series of expressive, heartfelt, funny, sorrowful, sentient, and somber vignettes of life amongst folk in the wide open range and spread out places. The problems are the same, but there is a need for a community to draw together even with the distance of two counties between them.

Each story reads like a snapshot. It reminds me of visiting my Grammy Kathy or Great Aunt Ethel and looking through one of their photo albums where each picture ha
Oct 04, 2008 Cristina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cristina by: Spalding University
What I appreciated about these stories is the way that Wilkinson was able to draw us into everyone of her characters' lives and then really just give us these moments in such alluring detail. There is an inherent "life goes on" feeling about many of them and that whether it's a woman trying unsuccessfully to break the bonds of a controlling mother or another keeping a horrible secret from her mother so long that she finally breaks and kills her abusive husband and ends up in prison, these women ...more
Connor Smith
One interesting thing about her stories is that every now and then one is told by a sort of spying, omniscent narrator that never participates directly. I've long wondered how much you can get to know an author from what they write. Surely the contents of the stories can be imagined, and therefore have little resemblence to the author. But what about these consistent storytelling characteristics?

That being said, this collection features a wide variety of stories that feel like they could have ha
Ana Campanha
I had to think a bit if this book deserved 3 or 4 stars. It's made of several short stories about black strong women trying to make a living in a tough world. Some short stories (eg. the first and the last ones) were pretty amazing and made me think a lot about what I would do in the same situation. Other ones weren't that good but got my attention anyway. I'm giving it 4 stars because I believe I will remember some stories and their unique characters for a long long time. Their stories are powe ...more
A compilation of short stories set in the rural South about the lives of African American men and women. The stories may be short but they are haunting and beautifully written. They are stories of love, fear, pain, acceptance, resignation, romance and determination. Not all the stories are pretty. Not all the stories are sad. But all the stories will leave a lasting imprint on your soul after you've read them.
This collection of short stories is a well-written, documented account of black Appalachian women. Their joys, sorrows, triumps and pain are articulated in a humananistic manner, very realistic and telling.
Wilkinson has delved into the tenacity of women who perservere regardless of their circumstances and gender. True meaning of womanist.
4-4.5 rating.
I love this collection. It tells the story of so many matter the race we all feel the same things at one time or another. Wilkinson describes these feelings beautifully. I had the chance to meet her at a Writer's Conference in Hazard, KY and I was very impressed with her spirit.
This was a collection of stories about Black life in Kentucky as seen through the eyes of the people who experienced it. Very good writing about the culture and lives as seen through the author's eyes.
T.L. Cooper
Blackberries, Blackberries is a beautifully written collection of short stories by Crystal Wilkinson that manages to bring both laughter and tears to the reader as awareness of the realness of the stories captures the heart and mind. The stories explore mother-daughter relationships, love, soul searching, desire, loss, servitude, adultery, violence, and always the struggle to know one’s self through characters that leap off the page immersing the reader in their daily lives. Wilkinson’s use of v ...more
Jai Danielle

This may be the best short story collection I've read. Still surprised that this was Wilkinson's debut. Well-crafted stories with a southern twist.
This book was simply amazing. While some stories were stronger than others, they were all great. "Humming Back Yesterday" was one of the best because of the juxtaposition of two very separate but tied together events. "Ritual" had some of the best use of language I've ever read. Her description of a woman's inner body was brilliant. "Peace of Mind" was another favourite just because it made me laugh. I know a lot of women who that fits perfectly with and I can see it all going down. In summary, ...more
Crystal Wilkinson never ceases to amaze me. I want to give this book 5 stars, but I liked Water Street a bit more so I feel like 4 is more appropriate. Regardless, Wilkinson portrays life with an incredible eloquence. While the characters and scenes are all from and in Kentucky, the pieces are amazingly versatile and can be related to by a much larger population of people. Each of Wilkinson's characters have their own voice and their personalities are all distinctly different while sharing the v ...more
This collection of short stories were quite unfulfilling for me.
Morgan Matz
These stories are clear, genuine, and often surprising in the best kind of way. It's always a challenge in a short story to show a world to your reader clearly enough that they understand your characters, can imagine who they are and where they've come from, and why they have to do the things they do. Issues of race and gender and poverty in America are so huge and complicated, they can only be distilled the way Wilkinson manages does by a master storyteller. I loved this book, and I know I'll b ...more
A book of short stories of african-american women! But not what i thought though written in short story form as if you could imagine yourself sitting at a kitchen table listening to this story, some stories were disturbing of child sex abuse. I see many people gave it 4 or 5 stars but I was not as impressed and found i had to take breaks in the week and come back to it once in awhile.
So amazing; like a sweet summer day. My husband always remembers the day he met me and the fact that I was reading this book. Will forever be one of my favorites . The characters are genuine and uncomplicated but at the same time, complex and unique. The stories come beautifully together like the pieces of your granny's favorite quilt. I love , love , this book!
This was one of the best I've read in this genre. I felt like I was sitting with my elders as they told the stories or the people in their lives. I felt like I knew these characters and was right there with with them. Kudos to Ms Wilkerson. These are the type of stories I want to write.
I love short stories, but these fell a bit short for me. (Definitely didn't plan my sentence) Not sure why they didn't resonate. I thoroughly enjoyed several of them, but others fell flat.
Perhaps trying to encompass too much instead of dwelling in a single moment...
I did not finish this book. It was not at all what I expected. I had not expected the unrelated short stories; but rather a novel. I just could not get into these little short tales that I did not find very interesting. Sorry.
If goodreads allowed half stars, I'd give this 3 and half. Enjoyable read with a couple of real gems in the collection. I'm looking forward to reading some of Ms. Wilkinson's other work.
Beautifully written. I am not a fan of short stories but these little looks a black women were each different and full of reverance.
The collection of poignant stories are striking yet somewhat predictable.
Glorious, thoughtful, and so evocative on the place and culture.
Kate Eidam
Beautifully written. A desired moral or lesson in each tale.
Shonna Froebel
Interesting collection of stories set around Black America
Interesting stories, lovely descriptive writing.
Karen Morrison
Interesting collection of stories.
Sherry Chandler
  • Shiloh and Other Stories
  • Incognegro
  • All Aunt Hagar's Children
  • Diamond Life: A Novel
Crystal Wilkinson was born in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1962 and raised in Indian Creek, Kentucky. Her grandparents, Silas and Christine Wilkinson, took her into their care when she was six weeks old. Often describing herself as a country girl, Wilkinson's work reflects a love and homage to her Appalachian roots. She recalls growing up on her grandparent's farm where her grandfather planted tobacco and c ...more
More about Crystal Wilkinson...
Water Street Holler The Birds of Opulence Degrees of Elevation: Short Stories of Contemporary Appalachia Mythium: A Journal Of Contemporary Literature, Volume 1 Number 1