Start by marking “Contract with an Angel” as Want to Read:
Contract with an Angel

Contract with an Angel

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  375 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Millionaire media mogul Raymond Neenan can't believe his ears--or his eyes. the seat next to him, empty for the whole flight, now barely contains a huge man who looks a lot like Chicago Bulls superstar Michael Jordan.
In fact, the "man" is the Archangel Michael ("Not Mike, not Mikey, but Michael. you got a problem with that?), and he's looking to make a deal for Neenan's i
Published July 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Contract with an Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contract with an Angel

Simon Mcleish
Jul 25, 2015 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in December 2001.

The Faust story is about a man who makes a contract with the devil, selling his soul for magic powers and the caresses of Helen of Troy. In this novel, unscrupulous businessman Raymond Needham makes a contract with an angel, who appears to him on a nearly disastrous plane journey, in which he undertakes to follow angelic guidance for the salvation of his soul. There is a tendency for stories involving angels to be rather sentimental (several
Jeni
Dec 18, 2015 Jeni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the kind of book I generally read. The premise is “What if I knew my time on earth was limited, what would I change?"

R.A. Neenan (business exec in his 50’s?) is confronted by Michael an archangel/seraph resembling Michael Jordan (big black athletic man), who contracts with Neenan in changing his life before his impending death. Neenan must completely change each close familial relationship in his life, which has become damaged due to his quest for more power, conquests and more money
Tyler
Nov 01, 2012 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Contract With An Angel is a story about many different things put into one story. I think this book mostly tells us about real life lessons we can learn from and put to good use. It starts out with a man by the name of R.A. Neenan a wealthy media mogul on a plane going to Chicago, while he is on that plane he meets a man by the name of Michael. Michael claims to be an angel sent from above to tell him that he doesn’t have much time left on earth and needs to change his life. R.A. blows ...more
M. J.
Nov 11, 2012 M. J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Elaine Cougler
Aug 08, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contract with and Angel was really a delightful breath of fresh air. An angel appears to a man during a plane trip gone scary and tells him to get his life in order as he will die soon. The tone of the book is most interesting because Raymond immediately believes in the angel. This makes for a heart-warming story which even my husband liked.
Albert
A very entertaining and charming story. It is a story of Love and hope and being what God wants us to be. This is the 2nd book of this author that I read he has a lot of Father Blackie Ryan books plus some Irish stories. The author is a Catholic Priest.
Debby
Aug 20, 2014 Debby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I have enjoyed Greeley's novels in the past, and because my husband said it made him cry. I enjoyed the entire read, especially the depiction of God. A bit uncomfortable with angels as procreating beings, but I can forgive that. The concept of a spouse as metaphor for God's love is really quite lovely.
Douglas Larson
The story dragged a bit in the beginning but eventually turned around. I liked how it ended.
This is the only Andrew Greeley book I have read. I see that he has passed away now, so no more stories from his unique perspective.

Tammy Downing
Sep 30, 2014 Tammy Downing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good story of a man consumed with power who meets Archangel Michael on an airplane flight and signs an agreement to be a better man for the short time he has left. Andrew Greeley spins a terrific yarn and I really enjoyed this story.
Michael Rehr
Dec 28, 2015 Michael Rehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great feel good read!
Anita
Jun 15, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. Greeley portrays angels the way people would LIKE to think of them: humorous, sincere, adoring of their Creator, bemused and confused by their Creator's "favorite" creation. Greeley has a knack for portraying the emotional turbulence within families and an intriguing knowledge of the sexual relationship between men and women. Sometimes I wonder if he's been given some special information from God.
Bill Pilon
Jun 18, 2013 Bill Pilon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deals with God’s attempts to save the soul of an arrogant, type A media tycoon by sending an Archangel (who looks and sounds like Michael Jordan) to help him get his life in order before his eminent demise. It is a great story and reflects Catholic theology pretty well, but Greeley (RIP) is a much better story-teller than a writer. If you’re Catholic you might enjoy this.
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andrew-greeley
I loved this book! I read it in one morning on my day off over a pot of coffee! I am hooked and planning on reading all of his books! Its a feel good story about a man that gets a last chance from an "angel" to change his lifestyle since he only has 3 months to live. It is surprisingly funny, lighthearted and a great read and love story!
Sue Johnson
Jun 16, 2012 Sue Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. Same old stuff . . . angel wants Neenan to turn his life around, Neenan discovers life is better when he changes his behavior, he lusts after his wife, yadda, yadda. After a while, I couldn't help but wonder why a priest, the author, writes and knows so much about sex. Guess he must do his research!
David
Jul 23, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't care for this book. I had to keep reminding myself it was written by a Priest. Almost didn't finish it. Too much sex, the "angels" were turned into something sensual and full of magic acts. Had to read between the lines to get the story. Don't understand why he felt it necessary to have sex on every other page.
Diane
Dec 01, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another absolutely SUPERB novel by a wonderful author and Catholic Priest. This one I also read numerous times and each time learn something new and exciting. I recommend this for anyone who is trying to come to terms with everyday life and their own mortality.
Hank Drews
Greeley went into the clouds for this idea: Mean Media Mogul turned pussycat by meddling seraphs. Reading is a study in plot twists but I preferred the last book I'd read of Greeley's called Irish Lace. It was two times better.
Honistie
Jun 01, 2009 Honistie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I makes you realize that second chances are not always in vain and change is hard. Sometimes it takes a lot for a person to want to change but when they do great things can happen. It is a very sweet story.
Silvia Abreu
I really liked this book. I was intrigued by the priest/author thing. Father Greeley has written a lot of other books. I've meant to read more of them...will have to see which ones get the best reviews.
Rachael Galvan
Aug 25, 2012 Rachael Galvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an ok book but I figured out the end half way through. Too much talk about sex and buisness for my taste but I read it pretty fast anyway.
Pauline
Aug 23, 2011 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Um, more like a fable of how bad old executive turns his life around because he's told he only has a short time to live. Predictable.
Joyce McKune
Jun 29, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Media mogul meets angel who helps him turn is life around. Good story.
Bruce
Aug 06, 2011 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy read but the narrative is somewhat repetitive.
Lucy
Aug 03, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and recomend it to anyone over the age of 18.
Celina
Oct 01, 2012 Celina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best fiction about angels I've read so far.
Bill
Nov 30, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a "must read" for all husbands!
Mary
This was an audio tape
Nov 26, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun....It is all metaphor
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Into the Wild (The McGraws, #2)
  • O Dia em que te Esqueci
  • Necrophenia
  • No teu deserto
  • Still the One (Five Star Romance Hardcover Edition)
  • The Perfect Age
  • Chasing Dreams
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • Our Kate: Catherine Cookson, Her Personal Story
  • Behind the Scenes
  • The Brass Dolphin
  • Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon
  • The Scent
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...