Poor Doreen: A Fishy Tale

Poor Doreen: A Fishy Tale

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An Ample Roundy Fish called Mrs. Doreen Randolph-Potts is on a mission: to visit her second cousin twice removed who's just welcomed 157 babies. But when she spies what she thinks is a yummy dragonfly—and is actually bait—poor Doreen is lifted out of the water on a fishing pole. Luckily, Doreen is, shall we say, a wee bit clueless about the dire situation. Kids will love b...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Schwartz & Wade (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Poor Doreen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Doreen

Destinee Sutton
I really like the illustrations, but what makes this book stand out is the narrator's voice. Doreen, a silly fish who doesn't see the danger in a hook or a heron, cheerfully exclaims, "Goody! A treat!" But the narrator is there to set the reader straight: "Oh, poor Doreen. No. It's a HOOK." "Yippee! I'm going on an outing!" cries Doreen. "Oh dear, Doreen. No. You're not," says the narrator. This could be a truly great little Weston Woods video with the right narrator.
Denis Vukosav
‘Poor Doreen’ written by Sally Lloyd-Jones and illustrated by Alexandra Boiger is humorous story for children about a charming fish that doesn’t see the dangers around the world that surrounds her, though there are many.

An Ample Roundy Fish that is called Doreen Randolph-Potts embarked on a journey to visit her second cousin twice removed who's just had 157 babies. What is waiting ahead on her road will make this easy journey into funny adventure in which equally will enjoy young readers and Dor...more
Chelsea

Miss Doreen Randolph-Potts, a Southern Belle Ample Roundy Fish stylishly decked out in a bright red kerchief and carrying a red umbrella, sets off upstream to visit her second cousin once removed who has just had 157 babies. Unfortunately, "Poor Doreen" is about to encounter a tasty-looking dragonfly, a fisherman, and a hungry heron. It's a good thing Doreen has such a sunny personality. Even as the narrator warns that this may be the unluckiest day of Doreen's life, the cheerful fish is thankin...more
Jill
A fun story of a clueless fish on a journey to visit her cousin who just had 157 babies. Throughout the story there are hints of letter recognition--s for spear, o for open, c for catch, etc with the pictures illustrating the shape of the letters. Also, words that the author wants to stand out are capitalized. The kids who read this need to be mature enough to handle the idea of death as well as get the humor of Doreen thinking she's going on a great outing when she's on the fish hook. Plus the...more
Tasha
Mrs. Doreen Randolph-Potts is a very rare Ample Roundy Fish who is headed to visit her cousin who has just had a baby, or 157 babies to be exact. So Doreen is swimming down the river when she spots what she thinks is a tasty dragonfly, but it is not. It is actually a lure held by a fisherman, but Doreen does not know that and she gulps it down. Soon Doreen is lifted into the air and plunked into a basket. She thinks she is just there for a little rest before she heads on her journey, but she is...more
pati
Wonderfully written,; I like the way the Great Blue Heron wearing a color of a stormy sky with a neck like an S or The fisherman arches his back into a C for CATCH are so well illustrated!

Doreen is a happy little fish about to get caught in a terrible trap...will she overcome this catastrophe and keep her red umbrella? Read to find out!
Jen
One of my FAVORITE children's books ever! I love this cute little fish who wants to visit her second cousin twice removed and her 157 new babies. The adventures that she goes through along the way and her happy outlook on life even though everything doesn't go her way is delightful! I read this book to my husband and all of my kids - a must read!
Mary
This book has a distinct feel of subtle humor that could be funny to some people but not funny to others. It is written in a narrator's voice about a fish who is incredibly naive. I did like the letter awareness that happens within the book and the pictures are lovely.
Naomi
So, trying to figure out the purpose of this fishy tale. Part of the story was cute, but part of the story I found myself asking "Point?". I didn't find the illustrations to help me with me dislike of the story either.
Read  Ribbet
Doreen seems to make the best of her bad situations and ends up with a great story to tell her friends. So where do ideas come from? A great book to position for work on writing in teaching about ideas for stories.
Ms Threlkeld
What an utterly delightful and quirky story! It'd be great for working on predictions with students. I loved the author's voice, and my husband and I laughed out loud several times while reading.
Jillian Heise
Cute and funny. A cluelessly optimistic fish (who might be more cunning than she seems) within pretty watercolor illustrations and engaging text that uniquely ties illustration to words/letters.
Daphne
This book is hysterical! I love the narrator and the depth of detail. Illustrations are beautiful too. This would work very well as a one-on-one read.
Harla
Not sure of the point of this rambling tale. Maybe fishing is cruel or Herons are mean or Doreen is pathetically naive. I am not sure but made no sense to me.
Beth
Doreen Randolph-Potts is an optimist. The glass is always half-full and she's always looking at the bright side of life. To the point where she's just plain-old oblivious.
Amanda
There's a lot going on in this book: most of it good. Colors, alphabet, description, a fish tale, bit long-winded at times, a fable...enjoyable.
Kati
I thought this was darling. I loved the story--it's so funny and cute, you'll see what I mean--and the illustrations were charming.
Mary Ann
Definitely made me chuckle at the end. I do love how Doreen is an eternal optimist. But I found the text too wordy in many places.
Scott
An adorable protagonist may not be as naive as we think. Regardless, her adventure is fun and engaging.
Liz
Doreen is unaware of the danger she's in and her narrow escapes as she heads out to visit a friend.
Ann
Who can resist Doreen? Not the brightest fish in the ocean - but the luckiest.
Sara Grochowski
Miss Doreen Randolph-Potts, an Ample Roundy Fish, sets out to visit her second cousin twice removed (who's just had 157 babies), but her quiet journey quickly becomes a almost-unbelievable whopper of a tale! The always optimistic Doreen chances upon a delectable dragonfly (never mind the hook attached), catches a ride with a helpful egret (well, great blue heron luckily misidentified), and never once seems fazed by the precarious situations she swims into. While the title of this book may be POO...more
Courtney Huskisson
Cute little innocent, naive fish. Lovely watercolor illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Clueless Doreen does not realize what a narrow escape she has.
LeeAnn
This one just didn't do it for me.
Bethe
Cute little story about a fish going to visit a relative, that turns into a big adventure. Read aloud fun possibilities include a few repeating phrases and the narrator directly addressing Doreen.
Kristina Lareau
The watercolor and gouache illustrations are whimsical and fun. The story: FInding Nemo.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Page. You'll find more @ my SUPER blog, my blog, my public facebook page, and my website.

PLUS you can follow me on twitter.

More about Sally Lloyd-Jones...
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing How to Be a Baby . . . by Me, the Big Sister Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride