Start by marking “The Book of Secrets (Mister Max, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Secrets (Mister Max, #2)

The Book of Secrets (Mister Max #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From Newbery Medalist Cynthia Voigt, Book II in the exciting adventures of Mister Max—12-year-old detective in disguise.

In Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things, Max Starling proved that he is more than a detective, he’s a Solutioneer. His reputation for problem-solving has been spreading—and now even the mayor wants his help.

Someone is breaking windows and setting fires
Published September 23rd 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Secrets

Joan
Aug 01, 2014 Joan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade mystery lovers and those who read book 1
This suffered from the problems of many bridging novels. The first one was excellent and I am looking forward to the third, but this one was a bit slow in parts, with some of the mysteries abruptly wrapped up and characters introduced in preparation for book 3, the last of a trilogy. I'm also not so sure people could read this one without reading book one first, especially for an explanation of "solutioneer". Max is still trying to be financially independent so he doesn't have to rely on his Dad ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
This just gets more and more implausible. It's supposed to be realistic, I think, but I'm not buying it. You have twelve-year-olds pondering the meaning of life and thoughtfully considering their future careers as if they were thirty. The mysteries are also dull and (at least to this point) unrelated. They are handily resolved to no great effect. I'm having a hard time seeing why a publisher thought this was such a good idea. I also found the illustrations poorly done - most of the boys look ali ...more
Toni
I just love Mister Max. He is really a twelve year old boy who is hiding big secrets, but he puts himself forward as a "Soluntioneer" someone who finds out things and solves problems. No one can guess his true age because of his experience in the theater and all of the costumes at his disposal. This is the second in what will be at least a trilogy.

The story is fun, sweet, and adventurous all at the same time, with some fun characters.
Cara
I loved the first book. This one really took awhile to get going. I love the messages the author builds into this story about self-reliance, but we really do need the help of others. I love the main character, Max. It is mysterious and suspenseful, without horror. I don't know how this book will go over with the middle school crowd. I think after reading Harry Potter & Percy Jackson, they may be bored. I would highly recommend this book for the advanced 3rd or 4th grader.
Michelle
This second book in a proposed trilogy was full of more clever mysteries and solutions, a smart and observant narrator, and plenty of thoughtful and even beautiful writing. I again listened to it on CD. My only complaint is that, as with the first, this book ends at just a pause with TONS of unanswered questions remaining for the final installment.
Monique
Just as good as the first one, a little slow in the beginning, but by the end, I'm just looking for the next one. :) :) :) :) :)

I love the intricate stories, how two or three plots submerge and weave an addicting and well-crafted tale of a young boy named Max. The only problem: He's 12, yet some take him to be a man at times depending. I just wish the age was a little more believable for someone to take him as one in his twenties or thirties. I imagine while reading that he's like 14 or 15.
Claire
A sequel to Mister Max Book of Secrets. Max finds peril in one of his jobs, gets a cryptic letter from his missing parents and learns that even a smart independent 12 year old needs friends, family and confidants. Heartwarming. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Beth Anne
Read aloud with Martin. This is shaping up to be a fantastic series. Martin thought this one was better than the first, but I liked that there were more hidden parts of the plot in the first. I figured out one big part before the main character and before Martin in this one as well. Really well written, exciting and interesting, and it's going to be a LONG wait for the next book!
Cecilia Rodriguez
Max has established himself as a Solutioneer. He is hired by the Mayor of Queensbridge to investigate a rash of vandalism and arson.
The subplot, deals with the mysterious disappearance of Max's parents and coded letters.
Julia
Apr 19, 2014 Julia added it
PWRL
Oct 31, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: zzz2014-nov-new
E
Erica
This one was darker than the first. I would recommend it to advanced 4th graders and up. Can't wait for the third installment.
Wooden Horse
I had a hard time reading this because I found it so tedious. I have not read the first book in the series and at this point I don't plan to. I think I might have enjoyed it when I was 8-10 years old though because it does involve a lot of acting, costume discussion, and solutioneering which would have appealed to my younger self.
Angie
Took me a little while to finish this one but I still enjoyed it.

And the end? Great promise for book three!
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
P is for Polly
P is for Polly marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Debsta
Debsta marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Wallis Chan
Wallis Chan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Laura added it
Nov 18, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Nov 17, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Anita Young
Anita Young is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
  • About Average
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Puzzler's Mansion (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #3)
  • The Spy Catchers of Maple Hill
  • The Secret Box
  • How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids
  • Words By Heart
  • Shipwreck Island (Shipwreck Island, #1)
  • A Summer of Sundays
  • Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys #3)
  • Fish
  • Three Bird Summer
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • Malcolm at Midnight
  • The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond
  • Vanished
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • Treasure Hunters: Danger Down The Nile (Treasure Hunters, #2)
Cynthia Voigt is an American author of books for young adults dealing with various topics such as adventure, mystery, racism and child abuse.

Awards:
Angus and Sadie: the Sequoyah Book Award (given by readers in Oklahoma), 2008
The Katahdin Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Anne V. Zarrow Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Margaret Edwards Award, for a body of work, 1995
Jackaroo: Ratte
More about Cynthia Voigt...
Homecoming (Tillerman Cycle, #1) Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2) A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3) Jackaroo (Kingdom, #1) Izzy, Willy-Nilly