Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper, #9)

Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper #9)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Gillian Roberts's captivating novels of Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, with its narrow streets and venerable architecture, can suddenly shiver in the icy winds of menace. Then it becomes a startlingly deceptive place, where evildoers masquerade as Old Philadelphians and law-abiding folk stand accused of unspeakable crimes.

Philly Prep English teacher Amanda Pe...more
Published July 6th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Adam and Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam and Evil

Fmorlan
Amanda Pepper teaches english at Philly Prep and lives with CK Mackenzie Philly cop. In this episode, she takes her senior english students to the Philadelphia library. This is to help them on their final project. As they tour the library, Amanda meets several people as well as a corpse. To her dismay, one of her students is missing and presumed a suspect. Her sister shows up,her mother changes her tune about marriage and her best friend Sasha has decided to move to London. For Amanda to deal wi...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Amanda Pepper is a teacher we can all admire and relate to. She is devoted to her students and when she feels that one of the boys in her class, Adam, is dangerously close to a mental breakdown, she calls in his parents. They do not want to admit that Adam could have a problem and end up getting Amanda in all sorts of trouble with her boot-licking principal. When someone is murdered in the State Library, Adam is the prime suspect. He is on the run and getting less and less in touch with reality....more
Andrew
I hadn't read an Amanda Pepper mystery in many years, and, sadly, I was disappointed with Adam and Evil. The mystery seemed to take a back seat to Amanda's angst about her personal life. In fact the title character, Adam Evans, hardly appears in the book at all. The Philadelphia setting, with the exception of the Free Library, is reduced to a few streets names, one hot pretzel and a bag full of cheesesteaks. All too bad, because the series starter, Caught Dead in Philadelphia, is a gem of book.
Stephanie
I liked this story. In addition to the interesting mystery surrounding the murder, I enjoyed the fact that the author addressed issues with couples who have been together for a while. Not many do this, so it was a unique take. I gave it a 3, not because it is a bad mystery but because there just isn't enough there to attract me to read it again. I may change my mind as I read this book out of series order.
Judy
English Prof Amanda Pepper is having an identity crisis resulting in problems with career, family, love life. She's a spunky, outspoken person who really cares about her students, especially one who seems to be going off the deep end and is associated with the murder of one of her sister's friends at a local library. As the story evolves, she finds herself and also the murderer.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Part of a series featuring Amanda Pepper, who is a school teacher who lives with a detective and has a penchant for involving herself in murder and teeing him off. For some reason, Amanda drove me crazy. Her angst over whether she wanted to continue teaching was overblown and got on my nerves.
Pam
An Amanda Pepper mystery. Amanda fears taht one of her students, Adam, has psychological problems. Th eheadmaster & parents feel she is interfering. On an outing to the library, an asst. is killed & Adam disappears. This makes Adams suspicious and put in the category of possible killer.
Joanne
this series makes me LOL. I enjoy the characters and the puzzles are fun too. I listened to this one - a great companion for walking, sunbathing and needlepoint
Julie
More Amanda angst than is healthy for a book, but these are great books to read on the train (and I do!)
Nikki Dore Parker
it has a little humor, a little murder, love, broken hearts... it's an easy read.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 27, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Chantel
Chantel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Eileen
Eileen added it
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Untreed Reads: ADAM AND EVIL by Gillian Roberts Takes Top Pick 1 1 Apr 30, 2014 01:41PM
Untreed Reads: Gillian Roberts Scores with ADAM AND EVIL 1 1 Jul 01, 2013 03:41PM
Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1) I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3) Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2) How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5) Helen Hath No Fury (Amanda Pepper, #10)