Burying the Shadow

Burying the Shadow

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Rayojini lives an idyllic life amongst the soulscapers of Taparak until she reaches the age at which she will be initiated into their ranks. Her initiation rite, though it follows the traditional pattern of thousands of others, is different in one vital respect. The guardian-pursuers that are invoked to watch over Rayojini's progress are real. In far off Sacramante, the ar...more
Published February 25th 2002 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Burying the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burying the Shadow

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyAsh by Malinda LoStalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
348th out of 524 books — 519 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle MeadSunshine by Robin McKinleyYou Suck by Christopher MooreDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Unusual, Alternative Vampires
141st out of 296 books — 500 voters

More lists with this book...

Sera69
Storm Constantine here creates a dark and fantastical other world where ancient thoughts and races combine with a humanity that is part 18th century nobility and part druidic lore; where monsters in your dreams are as real as you or i. Pre-dating True Blood, Anne Rice and all the interminable Team Edward style horromances, Constantine sets her story in a wild new fantasy world where blood suckers and lay people live side by side in a mutually beneficial symbiosis.

Here the ancient race are sponso...more
Nerena Lavine
This is one of my all time favourite books. I love Storm Constantine's brilliant use of descriptive writing, the author's ability to draw the reader into this realm of fantasy means that you can almost smell, see and touch a new, yet familiar world. I stumbled across this book in a thrift shop and had to buy the following books in this series as a result. I have read this book four times and would love to see this as a movie, what a beautifully dark, magical, new and vibrant twist to the Vampire...more
Unrund
Dieses Buch ist selbst nach Jahren noch ein Favorit. Das einzige Manko ist das die Gespräche sehr gestelzt wirken und große Teile der Handlung damit mehr oder weniger ins lächerliche gezogen werden, daher ein Stern Abzug.
D
I keep on saying I won't read vampire novels anymore, but I keep on seeing vampire books written by authors I love/authors I'd love to read and I guess promises are made to be broken.

Rhomany
This is my favourite of Storm Constantine's books. It's so original and unusual and just when you think you have a handle on what's going to happen next something even more unusual happens.
Saskia Walker
My first Storm book, and I was a lifelong fan after reading it! Amazing fantasy worldbuilding, a unique vampire fantasy novel that doesn't once mention the word "vampire".
Ruby Roh
I read this book several years ago now, but I remember how intrigued I was by the author's take on the vampire mythos.
Emma T.
Des vampires dans un monde tolkienien... une audace réussie. Simplement majestueux.
Lorra Fae
The best vampire novel, honestly.
Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*note to self.copy from Al.
caracal-eyes
caracal-eyes marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
J.s.
J.s. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Black Beard
Black Beard marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
John
John added it
May 18, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Bee Lan
Bee Lan marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Melyssa
Melyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Benjamin Quakenbush
Benjamin Quakenbush marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or...more
More about Storm Constantine...
Wraeththu The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu, #1) The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1) The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (Wraeththu, #2) The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)

“Lift your head to me...’
His is the kiss of a timorous lover. Feel his inhuman lips on the throat, the heat of it. The bite, when it comes, is cold. Begin to sink as the blood flows into his mouth; it is almost soothing. No pain. No pain at all. His teeth grind into the muscles; ecstasy and torment. Life, the very being, is flowing out. Unholy nourishment. Holy nourishment. Drained slowly.
The trauma of it feels like being torn, but it is no more than suddenly having the ability to experience reality in a different way. Waiting for the end... for what? Cannot foretell. No longer flesh, no longer blood. Soul. Free.”
3 likes