Start by marking “Burying the Shadow” as Want to Read:
Burying the Shadow

Burying the Shadow

In idyllic Taparak, young Rayojinni trains and awaits her initiation into the ranks of the soulscapers--the practitioners who heal the mental and spiritual ills of the people.

Far away in glittering Sacramente, the elite artisans of the Eloim live in isolation, hiding their true non-human nature from the public who adore their culture, art and philosophy. But all is not we
Published February 25th 2002 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published 1992)

Sera69
Aug 13, 2012 Sera69 rated it it was amazing
Storm Constantine here creates a dark and fantastical other world where ancient thoughts and races combine with a humanity that is part 18th century nobility and part druidic lore; where monsters in your dreams are as real as you or i. Pre-dating True Blood, Anne Rice and all the interminable Team Edward style horromances, Constantine sets her story in a wild new fantasy world where blood suckers and lay people live side by side in a mutually beneficial symbiosis.

Here the ancient race are sponso
thornhands
Aug 26, 2010 thornhands rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, deutsch
Dieses Buch ist selbst nach Jahren noch ein Favorit. Das einzige Manko ist das die Gespräche sehr gestelzt wirken und große Teile der Handlung damit mehr oder weniger ins lächerliche gezogen werden, daher ein Stern Abzug.
Nerena Lavine
Jul 13, 2014 Nerena Lavine rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favourite books. I love Storm Constantine's brilliant use of descriptive writing, the author's ability to draw the reader into this realm of fantasy means that you can almost smell, see and touch a new, yet familiar world. I stumbled across this book in a thrift shop and had to buy the following books in this series as a result. I have read this book four times and would love to see this as a movie, what a beautifully dark, magical, new and vibrant twist to the Vampire ...more
Rhomany
Sep 13, 2009 Rhomany rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite of Storm Constantine's books. It's so original and unusual and just when you think you have a handle on what's going to happen next something even more unusual happens.
Emma Valieu
Nov 06, 2009 Emma Valieu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, vampires
Des vampires dans un monde tolkienien... une audace réussie. Simplement majestueux.
D
Jan 14, 2014 D rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites, fantasy
I keep on saying I won't read vampire novels anymore, but I keep on seeing vampire books written by authors I love/authors I'd love to read and I guess promises are made to be broken.

Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*note to self.copy from Al.
Ruby Roh
Jun 06, 2007 Ruby Roh rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book several years ago now, but I remember how intrigued I was by the author's take on the vampire mythos.
Saskia Walker
Dec 17, 2009 Saskia Walker rated it it was amazing
My first Storm book, and I was a lifelong fan after reading it! Amazing fantasy worldbuilding, a unique vampire fantasy novel that doesn't once mention the word "vampire".
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Lorra Fae
Aug 15, 2013 Lorra Fae rated it it was amazing
The best vampire novel, honestly.
Cheryl Hart
Cheryl Hart rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Ingrid Williams
Ingrid Williams rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
V
V rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
Michael Lane
Michael Lane rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
HatsuneMiku
HatsuneMiku rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Alec
Alec rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2008
Oliver
Oliver rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Bethnoir
Bethnoir rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2010
April Chateauneuf
April Chateauneuf rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2012
Meike
Meike rated it liked it
May 15, 2008
Dennis Cooper
Dennis Cooper rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Chel Logan
Chel Logan rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Cristy
Cristy rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2008
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Darkness, I (Blood Opera Sequence, #3)
  • Blood And Chrysanthemums (Creed, #2)
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • The Firebird's Vengeance (Isavalta, #3)
  • The World on Blood
  • By the Mountain Bound (The Edda of Burdens, #2)
  • The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
  • Steelhands (Havemercy, #4)
  • The Stars Dispose
  • Brother Termite
  • The Secret Life Of Laszlo, Count Dracula
  • Eternal Vigilance (Eternal Vigilance #1)
  • Vampire City
  • The Vampire's Angel
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...

“Lift your head to me...’
His is the kiss of a timorous lover. Feel his inhuman lips on the throat, the heat of it. The bite, when it comes, is cold. Begin to sink as the blood flows into his mouth; it is almost soothing. No pain. No pain at all. His teeth grind into the muscles; ecstasy and torment. Life, the very being, is flowing out. Unholy nourishment. Holy nourishment. Drained slowly.
The trauma of it feels like being torn, but it is no more than suddenly having the ability to experience reality in a different way. Waiting for the end... for what? Cannot foretell. No longer flesh, no longer blood. Soul. Free.”
3 likes