Start by marking “Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)

Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"The central pleasure is Pepper and her catalogue of urban woes, delivered with self-depracting savagery and humor in a scathing first person."

Book two in the Amanda Pepper mystery series.

Amanda Pepper, an English teacher at school for Philadelphia's filthy rich, is determined to teach the kids a lesson about the true spirit of Christmas. She inten
Mass Market Paperback, 10 pages
Published August 13th 1990 by Fawcett (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Philly Stakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philly Stakes

Amanda Pepper is the ultimate in everyday crime solvers. She's really a school teacher, but seemed to find herself in some awkward situations where she just has to play sleuth. I really like her because she's believable. She doesn't pull clues and theories out of mid air and she doesn't go out of her way to find mysteries. She could almost be described as average and boring by those who don't know her. She also goes out of her way to help just about anyone. It's like she has a heart of gold even ...more
Jill Holmes
Christmas is coming to Philadelphia, but teacher Amanda Pepper is having problems keeping the classroom seats filled as the holiday break approaches, let alone getting her students interested in the true meaning of the season. She teaches English at Philly Prep, a school where high school students prepare to go to college and their parents' money insures that they will get there. Amanda decides a project to feed the homeless may excite the kids and teach them about giving instead of receiving. S ...more
Bruce Reiter
My first read of a Gillian Roberts. Recommended by Kathleen and read during a cruise in the Greek Islands so definitely a beach book. Set during the Christmas Holidays with a couple of unsanitary murders and a depressed student. A good untaxing romp for the sleuth in all of us.
This is a great series and I really like how the author gives you a full view of the charters feelings. This was a tough sceaniro to read but I am sure many teachers are confronted with this type of crime to their students and chose to ignore it.
Amanda gets caught up in the family drama of one of her students that results in the murder of her students father
I didn't like this story as much as two others I had read by this author. Using the homeless as a plot device didn't work for me, but most of the characters had no appeal to me. If it wasn't for the fact that I LIKE the characters of Amanda, NoName, her mother and Sasha, I wouldn't even try another book. So, please, if you have not read this author before, DON'T start with this book. Start with the first one.
I just re-read this book and enjoyed it, some of it may be a little dated, and Amanda seems a little preachy now. However, being a long time Philly girl, Gillian Roberts does an excellent job of capturing the feel of the city in 70 and 80's Brought back memories with the Wanamaker's Eagle and the Woolworth counter (near where I worked). I will definately re-read the rest of the series as it is on Kindle now.
amanda pepper - teacher to the rich just wanted to show her students how help others during the holidays. Unfortunately, her idea was changed to promote one of the students father's goals. He had a good party but two ended up dead. Needless to say she did her share of sleuthing. I like this series being from Philadelphia.
Philly Stakes - G+
Roberts, Gillian

Philadelphia schoolteacher Amanda Pepper wants her students to develop some social consciousness, but when the wealthy benefactor of a party for the homeless is killed, she becomes a teacher-turned-detective.

Light but quite good.
Mar 04, 2007 colleen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
there's nothing like a mystery to take your mind off everyday worries. this is the second book in the amanda pepper series. i really like her character, so i keep reading the books.
The story took a while to get going but I perservered and I was rewarded. Bu I'm left with the feeling that mystery stories should not be this difficult.
Lyn Attreed
Such implausible, whiny people! Sorry, I couldn't get through it - not for me.
Not as good as some of the others but eminently readable.
Deb added it
Nov 22, 2015
Mya added it
Nov 22, 2015
Stephanie Arthurs
Stephanie Arthurs marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jim Ansley
Jim Ansley marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Untreed Reads: Amanda Pepper Wins a Devotee in PHILLY STAKES 1 3 Mar 05, 2012 02:28PM
  • South Of Sanity (Hannah Garvey Mystery #2)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • The Puzzled Heart (A Kate Fansler Mystery #12)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Death Without Tenure (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #6)
  • Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Murder at the PTA Luncheon (Susan Henshaw, #1)
  • Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)
  • The Heirloom Murders (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2)
  • Crystal Clear
  • Hard Fall (Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers, Book #4)
  • At Home for the Holidays

Amanda Pepper (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
  • In the Dead of Summer (Amanda Pepper, #6)
  • The Mummers' Curse (Amanda Pepper, #7)
  • The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper, #8)
  • Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper, #9)
  • Helen Hath No Fury (Amanda Pepper, #10)
  • Claire and Present Danger (Amanda Pepper, #11)