The Fantastic Family Whipple

The Fantastic Family Whipple

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  24 reviews
For every child who’s ever dreamed of being in the Guinness Book of World Records comes the story of eleven-year-old Arthur Whipple and his fantastic family of world record breakers . . .

- Most Crème Brulée Eaten in One Minute
- Highest Number of Matching Outfits Worn by a Stuffed Toy and Its Owner
- Youngest Person to Summit the Third-Highest Mountain in the World

These are...more
Published August 29th 2013 by Razorbill

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Today, we open with a rant. Now, this isn't really about this book in particular or anything the author did. This rant is about publishers and how they like to sneak series into our lives. Listen, I don't mind series, though I am getting a bit tired of everything being part of a series, but what I cannot abide by is thinking a book is a standalone and it turning out to be the first book in a series. Nothing in the blurb or on Goodreads indicates that this is part of a series, but, as the last ch...more
Greta C.
I was really surprised that this book ended where it did -- it almost felt like the author realized that he'd have to write a second book to finish this story arc. Which is a bit annoying-- I wanted this story to conclude and for the inevitable second book to be its own story. Still, there were parts when I actually laughed out loud (mostly relating to the protagonist Arthur's arch nemesis, Prince Bobo the chimpanzee.

But, the world records in the appendix kind of makes up for all shortcomings.
Courtney Luke
MUST READ! The clever and endearing voice and fantastical characters will take you on the most memorable adventure! Nothing short of EXTRAORDINARY!
hhertzof
Started off clever but the premise had worn thin by the end.
Angie
Arthur Whipple doesn't fit in his family. Everyone else has the same birthday and breaks world records every day. Arthur was born a day early and has failed at every record he has attempted to break. Even the people who work for the Whipples are record holders. Arthur tries everything to make his family see and appreciate him but they never do. Then a mysterious dwarf and giant ruin the big birthday bash and a family from Mr. Whipple's past comes back and beats the Whipples at everything. The fa...more
Joshua
I really liked this book... it's absurd... it's cute... it's funny... but...

it's half a book... rising action, drama, twists... but no resolution... not the only book I've read that committed this sin... but at 350 plus pages... there was no need...

there's dangling plot lines and there's this...

torn between 3 and 5 stars... low 4 stars due to this issue... hope book 2 resolves things better!
Tiffany
I liked this book a lot but there were a few things that bothered me. First, it ended so abruptly. It was very suspenseful so it was a huge let down that it just stopped. I would wait until the next one comes out before reading this one. The other thing was it had some violence and violent ideas. Like mothers throwing knives at their children, hoping they are good enough not to hit them. Or an arrow hitting one of the brothers in the back. Also I didn't like the theme that winning is everything...more
LisaSunshineGirl
The world of the Whipple's is a fascinating and exciting place, where breaking world records is valued above all other attributes. Where crowds flock to the annual Unsafe Sports event to cheer on death-defying acts, such as mothers throwing knives at their children.

Every member of the Family Whipple - except Arthur - shares the same birthday: March 1st. Every member of the Family Whipple - except Arthur - has broken multiple world records. Arthur has yet to break even one.

Father Whipple keeps a...more
Laney Smith

Arthur Whipple is a let-down to his entire family. He is one of the many children of the Whipple family, who is known to have broken the most world records as a family than any other in the world.

Why, oh why does every book have to be turned into a series? Especially when it could be a stand-alone book...

Publishers, you've done it yet again...you've put another series in my life that honestly (no offense to any publisher, author, etc.) could really be a stand alone book if the plot had been con...more
Jill Cd
I just couldn't finish it. I got past page 100 of the 400 pages and was bored. It was too predictable. I thought the concept was interesting and could be very appealing to readers but for me it dragged.
meg
three and a half. fun premise and clever writing but the action felt a little to dragged out even before i found out it was going to have a sequel. should have been a stand alone i think.
Ms. Yingling
Arthur Whipple is ruining his family's attempts at record breaking. He's born on February 29 instead of 1 March. He can't even stay awake for five days, and isn't helping his family to be the biggest and best at everything so that they can be listed in the Grazelby Guide. The family is so prolific at setting records that they have a full time staff member from the Guide attend to the family. Arthur suspects he might be a victim of the Lyon's Curse, and when things start to go wrong for the whole...more
Harrison Schwartz
This year, my mom and I attended the Book Expo of America in Manhattan. At the expo, everybody loves books (well that's a shocker). I had conversations about books everywhere; on the autograph lines, eating lunch, etc. While I was waiting for an autograph from Peter Lerangis, I engaged in a conversation with a librarian. We talked about what books we liked and I told her about my blog. She recommended this book to me, and was kind enough to hand me an Advanced Reader Copy, or ARC for short. This...more
Lisa Tener
My sons and I both thoroughly enjoyed this book--laugh out loud funny and full of puns. A fun read, which my middle schooler has read more than once and I read aloud with my elementary school child who loved it. We eagerly anticipate the sequel. I was a bit disgruntled that it did not say part 1 of a series, but the author, Matthew Ward, was so kind when I wrote him asking about the sequel that I am not holding it against him. Sounds like a publisher decision anyway.
Melissa
This book was so creative - the Family Whipple spends all of its time trying to break ridiculous World Records (none of which - I hope! - exist, and all of which were hilarious). Poor Arthur Whipple is the only one of the family who is not a record holder, but not for lack of trying. Then, someone starts sabotaging the family and even trying to kill them! Of course, Arthur is on the case (with his new best friend Ruby)

My only complaint was that I didn't realize this was the first book in a serie...more
Liberty Schauf
I really loved the character of Arthur but couldn't stand his parents single-mindedness. Throughout the whole book the parents made Arthur feel as though he wasn't ever good enough because he did have a world record under his belt. It was like they didn't love him. It made me really angry. He supported everyone else in the family but couldn't get a single ounce of love from his parents.
Fplys
Very Leaving the Bellweathers feel with a family whose forte is breaking world records.

I've burst out laughing while driving so many times while listening to this book. Definite appeal for all those kids checking out the Guinness World Record books. Meaning- every student in elementary school.
Ruthie Macy
Hate that it wasn't finished... Ties right into knowing there is a next book. But the rest of the book was wonderful.
Terrie Bearden
The Fantastic Family Whipple made me laugh out loud in many areas. Sometimes I skim over paragraphs in books but not this time! Each paragraph is wealthy with descriptive language. Should be in every middle school library and classroom. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl I found this book very entertaining! Being a former school administrator I always appreciate literature that will keep students engaged and wanting more.
Tina Brock
Was recommended this book by a dear friend and really enjoyed it. Mainly I was glad I was still young at heart enough to appreciate it!
Alice
Can't imagine a family of world-record breakers, sharing the same birthday, with the exception of one child, who is, average. If only Average Arthur were more fully developed, but I sense a sequel in the makings which would explain the loose ends.
Shelly
I loved this story. You feel for Arthur all the way through. His father really only wants what he thinks is best for him, but he is always putting him down. I'm so glad there will be a second book.
Sara
Absolutely adorable. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl and so fun, I can't imagine a single middle grade reader not falling in love with this book and wanting to make Arthur and Ruby his/her best friend!
Lisa
Super fun to listen with the kids.
J
Not a bad book. Not bad at all a bit boring and unrealistic but at least the authors out there where everyone can see his work!
Tyler P
A crazy exciting crime/mystery book.
Brenda Kahn
Oct 04, 2013 Brenda Kahn added it
Shelves: slj-review
REviewing professionally.
  • The Creature Department
  • The Twistrose Key
  • The Time Fetch
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
  • Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1)
  • Treasure Hunters (Treasure Hunters, #1)
  • The Abominables
  • Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • The Path of Names
  • The Year of Shadows
  • The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas
  • How to Catch a Bogle (Bogle #1)
  • Sidekicked
  • The Wig in the Window
  • Texting the Underworld
  • The Glass Puzzle
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
More about Matthew Ward...
Codex Grey Knights Eight Sonnets The Battle of Pelennor Fields Gondor in Flames Intellectual Property and the Law : A Straightforward Guide (Straightforward Guides)

“Today is the day we Whipples remind ourselves to squeeze every last ounce of success from every moment of our lives.” 1 likes
“It's nice to be the best, Son. But it's infinitely better of course, to be the best.” 1 likes