Start by marking “Science: A Discovery in Comics” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Explaining different scientific disciplines in clear, colorful chapters, this illustrated primer is a great way to introduce young readers to a complex topic. In her easily accessible style, Margreet de Heer visualizes science and makes it approachable for those with little knowledge of the subject. Touching a number of topics in various scientific disciplines—including ma ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by NBM Publishing (first published September 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science

Jesse
One of my favorite books of the year! I love everything about this book. The subject matter is interesting and very creatively rendered. Many, many different topics and sub-topics are included, but only in bite-sized pieces, making it impossible to get bored or confused.

A graphic novel is the perfect format for the subject of science, especially for those who may find a print version overshelming. I think this book belongs in every classroom, every library, ever personal collection of everybody!
Nicola Mansfield
Science is not exactly one of my interests however I am interested in history and non-fiction graphic books/comics, so I read this book out of curiosity. I found it incredibly well-done and both informative and humorous with a comic-style of art. This would make an excellent highschool book. I wouldn't recommend it for younger as the narrators are adults and there is some adult language present. A grand-sweeping cover of both the history and purpose of science it briefly touches on about every a ...more
Julie
This is Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" for the lazy. That was the conclusion I came to in the middle of the book, seeing the similar lines the two followed, before I even read that it was, in fact, an inspiration for this graphic novel. I would highly recommend this to all, or to anyone tackling Bill Bryson's work as a grand and simplified companion. I really have no complaints about this work as I feel like it accomplished all it set out to do, marking the history of scien ...more
Sowmya
Very well written. Best gift you can give to a teenager and a good book to read for any ager :-) I am happy about the purchase.
Earthingrocks
Feb 15, 2014 Earthingrocks rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: None
A brilliant idea to inspire and educate kids on the wonders of science through a colorful comic book. Too bad its filled with heavy religious overtones that twist the story and facts to follow a religious idea about science. Little pokes and jabs are all-throughout the text trying to provide false information about what science is all about.

These little quips are conventionally placed in excellent places throughout the text discrediting real science and making it on par with Christian religious
Razvan Zamfirescu
I won this book over a giveaway in June. I was so happy because I saw it as a gift for my birthday.

I got it very soon after Margreet contacted me to say that she have sent the book and in a few days I should get it.

Indeed, I got the book and on one of the first pages it was a small handmade draw just for me. Or at least this is what I like to believe.

I started to read it on the road back home and I enjoyed it from the start. When I got home I give it to my wife and we started to read it in famil
Coen
Een educatieve strip over wetenschap. Hoe saai kan dat zijn? Het klinkt heel erg saai, maar ik vond het heel erg leuk.
Wetenschappen in beeld wil iets zeggen over alle wetenschappen en hun plek in de geschiedenis. Dat wil zeggen dat er heel veel behandeld wordt. Dat wil ook zeggen dat er onvermijdelijk dingen in staan die je al wist. Maar er staan toch ook genoeg dingen in die ik nog niet wist. En de dingen die ik wel wist worden vaak op zo'n originele en leuke manier verteld dat ze toch wel weer
Marjorie
a fun, informative read. i just read a review down below regarding the heavy religious overtones. in my opinion, the relationship between science and religion was handled well. the line scientists walked was very thin, many things were done in secret because of the close minded attitudes of the church. i don't know enough about the history of church and science to comment further, but I think the author addresses this appropriately.
Ian Pindar
Science: a discovery in comics

I loved this brilliant illustrated book. This is the history of Science throughout the ages, along with the Scientific discoveries. It is great to be reminded of the historical context of science presented so entertainingly. I learnt lots of facts, and I taught Secondary Science for twenty years!

This is ideal for anyone that missed out on the fun and historical depth Science never seems to have the time to offer at school, as we shoot through the curriculum (teachin
Lokie
I love it! Skilfully illustrated, skilfully written: it's the best of both worlds. It's informative without being forceful, which is a joy to behold. Being very visual, I've found that having all of the information in comic form really increases the amount of knowledge I've managed to remember. Five stars!
Yussuf
This book has a unique way of showing science that no other book had the courage to . It is so amusing that both grownUps and youth would enjoy reading , It is Funny ; Correct ; and most of all has a lot of colors which I personally adore in this kinda of books
Cody
They definitely did a good job on getting so much info into one book, but, the formatting on the page seemed a bit scattered at times. There was also a lot of talk on religion and philosophy which I didn't think was necessary. And only 3 pages on biology?!?!? Come on....
Krissy
A quick and fun read. I wouldn't use the book as a while in my classroom because some pages can be difficult to find the flow through, but there are many pages that would provide excellent introductions to some topics I teach in science.
Joshua
A brief overview of the history of science. They did a great job hitting all the major points as science changed over time. The art work at times was a bit cramped for my liking, but over all a well put together book.
Autumn skye gerhard
Super awesome, I learned a ton and its hilarious.
Jane
It's not as good as the philosophy one.
Kelly
Heel leuk en informatief (strip)boekje waarin een korte samenvatting wordt gegeven van de wetenschappen. Welke zijn er en wat houden zij in? Wanneer zijn ze ontstaan? Hoe hebben ze zich ontwikkeld? Wie hebben een grote invloed gehad? Deze vragen worden besproken aan de hand van een rode draad die door het hele boek heenloopt. Er wordt begonnen bij de oudheid en langzaam wordt er toegewerkt naar de huidige tijd via o.a. de Middeleeuwen en de Renaissance.

Leuk voor jong en oud!
Maria
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads

I loved this book.
Learning about the history of science through a well illustrated book.
The book is super easy to ready and really easy to understand.
I learn a bunch of stuff.
If science would have been this easy in school i probably would have had better grades!

recommended for all age group!!
♥ Marlene♥
Dec 03, 2012 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jong en oud
Shelves: humour, science
Wat een ontzettend leuk boek. Dit boek is voor jong en oud. Ik heb het op de tafel liggen en als mensen op visite komen, kijken heel veel het in en vinden het ook leuk.

Het zijn allemaal tekeningen en stripjes waar je nog wat van opsteekt ook.

Dit is een leuk boek om cadeau te geven voor sint of de kerst!
Marianne
This was really a fun read. Good storyline and nicely drawn.
Jo
Science: A Discovery in Comics is a great book to give children in upper elementary grades to help them develop an interest in science while giving them answers to questions for inquire that will build their background knowledge.
Mk Woolbert
This is such a wonderful journey for everyone... kids, adults, everyone!
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Melissa Wert
Melissa Wert marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Zen Kirpalani
Zen Kirpalani marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Juliana Francisco
Juliana Francisco marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Jun 23, 2015
  • Introducing Particle Physics: A Graphic Guide
  • Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #108)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts (Weird But True, #1)
  • Garfield Blots Out the Sun (Garfield #43)
  • Ask a Science Teacher: Stuff You Always Wanted to Know about How the World Works, But Didn T Know Who to Ask
  • Humane Physics: No Student Was Harmed in Writing This Book
  • Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
  • English for the Eager Learners
  • Kanji-Kan (Puzzle Book 1)
  • Survive! Inside the Human Body, Vol. 1: The Digestive System
  • Edison and the Rise of Innovation
  • The Science Magpie: Fascinating Facts, Stories, Poems, Diagrams, and Jokes Plucked from Science
  • Mercy Thompson: Hopcross Jilly
  • My Awesome Japan Adventure
  • Seedtime: On the History, Husbandry, Politics and Promise of Seeds
  • Dignifying Science: Stories about Women Scientists
  • Egypt's Prehistoric Fauna: An AUC Press Nature Foldout
  • Learning from Leonardo: Decoding the Notebooks of a Genius
Margreet de Heer lives and works in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, with her husband Yiri T. Kohl. A long time ago, she studied Theology at the University of Amsterdam, but through divine intervention she ended up being a comic artist. She worked at the famous comic store Lambiek from 2000 until 2005, and wrote a book about Dutch comics together with Kees Kousemaker.

Since 2005 she is a full-time comi
More about Margreet de Heer...
Philosophy: A Discovery in Comics Religion: A Discovery in Comics Fijne Vrienden - Zeven Beroemde Vriendschappen Wereldheerschappij in Beeld Minnie #1: Out of the Closet!