Start by marking “The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)” as Want to Read:
The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)

The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In a land of magic, the great warrior Queen known as White Jenna has found a frail, one-armed child on the battlefield. She adopts the child and names her Scillia. As is custom with the Hames of the Dales, Scillia will be next in line for the throne. A great honor.

But Jem—Jenna's natural-born son—covets the throne for himself. Will he risk open rebellion to claim what he b
Published May 16th 2004 by Tor Teen (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The One-Armed Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One-Armed Queen

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane YolenBriar Rose by Jane YolenGirl in a Cage by Jane YolenSister Light, Sister Dark by Jane YolenWhite Jenna by Jane Yolen
The Best of Jane Yolen
6th out of 122 books — 12 voters
Sabriel by Garth NixThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. BarronThe Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce
YA Fantasy Published in the 1990s
17th out of 25 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 25, 2008 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I don't remember reading this book, so it goes on the "to-read" list till I figure it other words, and archaelogical dig is called for to find the series, LOL. If this book is anything like it's predecessors, it will be a good read as well, deserving of 5 stars.

I am a huge fan of Jane Yolen, and while most of her books are geared towards children, this series is more towards older teens to adults.

Anything by Yolen is good to me!
I love Jane Yolen, but she doesn't write many books for adults. She has two others, I think.
Katie Barber
I think this was the best book in Yolen's trilogy; so rarely do you get to see the heroes rule their kingdom after the war is won and how they go on to raise their children. The novel's ending "tie-ups" were a bit too neat and easy, but the story pulled me right in and kept hold of my attention the whole way through the book. I fully admit that I stopped reading the italicized "extras" and kept to the story. I found the breaks distracting and disruptive. Easily skipped, which some readers may ca ...more
I really like Jane Yolen's work. Goddess-oriented, feminist fantasy!
Just to give you an idea of how behind I am on getting my To Read shelf cleared out, Jane Yolen's The One-Armed Queen--the followup to Sister Light, Sister Dark and White Jenna--has been on the queue for NINE YEARS. The thing came out in 1998. It has taken me until now to actually read it.

Was it worth my wait? Eh, it was a decent enough novel. It didn't particularly blow me away, and the interspersing of snippets of myth, legend, song, and "historical" research through the story sometimes struck
This book the last in the trilogy of The Books of Great Alta. It didn't have any of the charm of the first book. It was sprinkled throughout with adages to the point of being annoying. Not for the school library due to violence.
Lily Ribeiro
Pretty awful. I recently remembered that I read this a long time ago, when me and my best friend were talking about how bad it was and neither of us understood how we actually finished it!
While The One-Armed Queen was enjoyable while I was reading it, it had a lot of the pitfalls of historical fiction without actually being historically accurate. I felt a little cheated by that. Again, the ending was a distant summary of what happens to the characters at the end of the action in the novel - not open-ended at all, and not satisfying.

Still, the middle was very entertaining and I had trouble putting the book down. Scillia is a 13 year-old when we meet her, but don't hold it against
Although I liked some parts of this book more than "White Jenna" (and vice versa), I just never felt like either of the two sequels lived up to the introduction provided in "Sister Light, Sister Dark". The first part of the book introduces the teenage character of Scillia. While I recall that I wasn't necessarily any better as a teenager, it wasn't fun to read about someone so annoying and stupid. I think I would've liked the book more if the parts with Scillia as a teenager would have been left ...more
Suzette Kunz
Really cool fantasy series.
Grace Makley
Jane Yolen is an excellent author. The prose, world-building, and poetry in this book are all incredibly satisfying. Unfortunately, (view spoiler)
While this still doesn't quite match the first book, I found this more engaging than the second. The third and last book in the Great Alta Saga, this one is just as full of exciting adventure as the first ones. Yolen's writing is once again brilliant as she effectively writes in different voices as she tells the story, the tale, the legend, the myth, the history, the song, the ballad, and all the rest. Excellent!
I picked it up and thought the style was interesting with all the breaks in the story but really it was just incredibly annoying. They took me out of the story and I could hardly read them after a while. The story itself was all right but the ending was so weak. :/ I enjoyed reading it except for what I've just said but it was hard going.
Jan 03, 2014 Meran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girl children and adults
I very much enjoyed this series. I'd recommend it to girl children and adults.
I have to admit I didn't finish this one. I LOVED the first two way back when, but I think that you have to be in a very specific mood to read this series.
It was a difficult read. The book did not flow well. It did have some interesting angles that could have been explored more.
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The One-Armed Queen by Jane Yolen (1999)
Lala marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Rhenda marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Staci added it
Sep 28, 2015
Mikayla Bond
Mikayla Bond marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
P.k. marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Redraven marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
  • Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Angel & Faith, #4)
  • The Storyteller
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 4: Winter Graves
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Beldan's Fire (The Oran Trilogy #3)
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle
  • Dervish Daughter (Jinian, #2)
  • The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 8: Desolation
  • Tall Stories:  Expecting Someone Taller and Ye Gods
  • Colder, Vol. 1 (Colder, #1)
  • The Wolf of Winter
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 4
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 12: Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius #12)
  • The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

Great Alta (3 books)
  • Sister Light, Sister Dark (Great Alta, #1)
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood