The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)

The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In a land of magic, the great warrior Queen known as White Jenna has found a frail, one-armed child on the battlefield. She adopts the child and names her Scillia. As is custom with the Hames of the Dales, Scillia will be next in line for the throne. A great honor.

But Jem—Jenna's natural-born son—covets the throne for himself. Will he risk open rebellion to claim what he b
Published May 16th 2004 by Tor Teen (first published 1998)

Sabriel by Garth NixThe Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. BarronThe Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann PierceNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
YA Fantasy Published in the 1990s
16th out of 25 books — 4 voters
Owl Moon by Jane YolenThe Emperor and the Kite by Jane YolenDragon's Blood by Jane YolenHeart's Blood by Jane YolenA Sending of Dragons by Jane Yolen
Best of Jane Yolen
22nd out of 47 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Aug 25, 2008 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I don't remember reading this book, so it goes on the "to-read" list till I figure it out...in other words, and archaelogical dig is called for to find the series, LOL. If this book is anything like it's predecessors, it will be a good read as well, deserving of 5 stars.

I am a huge fan of Jane Yolen, and while most of her books are geared towards children, this series is more towards older teens to adults.

Anything by Yolen is good to me!
M
I love Jane Yolen, but she doesn't write many books for adults. She has two others, I think.
I really like Jane Yolen's work. Goddess-oriented, feminist fantasy!
Angela
Just to give you an idea of how behind I am on getting my To Read shelf cleared out, Jane Yolen's The One-Armed Queen--the followup to Sister Light, Sister Dark and White Jenna--has been on the queue for NINE YEARS. The thing came out in 1998. It has taken me until now to actually read it.

Was it worth my wait? Eh, it was a decent enough novel. It didn't particularly blow me away, and the interspersing of snippets of myth, legend, song, and "historical" research through the story sometimes struck...more
Cherie
This book the last in the trilogy of The Books of Great Alta. It didn't have any of the charm of the first book. It was sprinkled throughout with adages to the point of being annoying. Not for the school library due to violence.
Valerie
While The One-Armed Queen was enjoyable while I was reading it, it had a lot of the pitfalls of historical fiction without actually being historically accurate. I felt a little cheated by that. Again, the ending was a distant summary of what happens to the characters at the end of the action in the novel - not open-ended at all, and not satisfying.

Still, the middle was very entertaining and I had trouble putting the book down. Scillia is a 13 year-old when we meet her, but don't hold it against...more
Katie
Although I liked some parts of this book more than "White Jenna" (and vice versa), I just never felt like either of the two sequels lived up to the introduction provided in "Sister Light, Sister Dark". The first part of the book introduces the teenage character of Scillia. While I recall that I wasn't necessarily any better as a teenager, it wasn't fun to read about someone so annoying and stupid. I think I would've liked the book more if the parts with Scillia as a teenager would have been left...more
Grace Makley
Jane Yolen is an excellent author. The prose, world-building, and poetry in this book are all incredibly satisfying. Unfortunately, (view spoiler)
Chere
While this still doesn't quite match the first book, I found this more engaging than the second. The third and last book in the Great Alta Saga, this one is just as full of exciting adventure as the first ones. Yolen's writing is once again brilliant as she effectively writes in different voices as she tells the story, the tale, the legend, the myth, the history, the song, the ballad, and all the rest. Excellent!
Isana
I picked it up and thought the style was interesting with all the breaks in the story but really it was just incredibly annoying. They took me out of the story and I could hardly read them after a while. The story itself was all right but the ending was so weak. :/ I enjoyed reading it except for what I've just said but it was hard going.
Meran
Jan 03, 2014 Meran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girl children and adults
I very much enjoyed this series. I'd recommend it to girl children and adults.
Adrienne
I have to admit I didn't finish this one. I LOVED the first two way back when, but I think that you have to be in a very specific mood to read this series.
Andreana
It was a difficult read. The book did not flow well. It did have some interesting angles that could have been explored more.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The One-Armed Queen by Jane Yolen (1999)
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Sickle
Sickle marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Megs
Megs marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
S. Lyn  Watson
S. Lyn Watson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • The Storyteller
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle
  • Dervish Daughter (Jinian, #2)
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 7: Conception
  • The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version  (The Last Unicorn)
  • Split Heirs
  • Beldan's Fire (The Oran Trilogy #3)
  • Soldier of Arete
  • The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)
  • Costume Not Included
  • The Merlin Effect (The Adventures of Kate, #3)
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 3: Calamari Rising
  • Lightning Bug
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Before and Afterlives
  • Alien Secrets
  • Dinosaur Tales
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood (The Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)