Start by marking “The Bear's Toothache” as Want to Read:
The Bear's Toothache

The Bear's Toothache

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When he discovers a bear with a toothache outside his window, a little boy tries to think of ways of removing the tooth.
Published May 30th 1988 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published March 30th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Bear's Toothache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear's Toothache

Manny
Nov 05, 2014 Manny marked it as to-read
Shelves: science
I spent Monday and much of Tuesday suffering from toothache, but luckily my dentist gave me an immediate appointment and amoxicillin is very effective. As soon as I started to feel better, it occurred to me to wonder just why toothache is so painful. Okay, it's dangerous, but there are many other conditions that are much worse, up to and including 100% fatal, and hurt much less. Why should that be? I looked around a bit on the web without finding anything useful.

So here's a theory that I'd like
Britt Kitko
Summary: This is a book about a boy who allows a bear to come in his window because it had a toothache. The boy tries many times to pull the tooth so the bear feels better. Eventually they decide to tie a rope to it have have him jomp out the window and it works!

Audience:
- Reading level- Early
- Genre- Fiction
- Topic- bears, pulling teeth

Curricular uses: Independent reading- Could be read by a student who is dealing with loosing their own baby teeth. The book is able to be read through the ima
Angel Romero
Summary: This book is about a bear that creeps into a boy’s window. The boy is trying to relieve the pears pain. The bear has a terrible tooth ache. The boy tries hitting him with a pillow and many other things.
I like the book it is engaging to children into the tooth ache. This book is appropriate for first graders.
Literature Terms: Onomatopoeia, Plot.
This book is great to teach first graders how sounds are related to their meaning.
Response: I lived the book. It’s a great book for emerging re
Lindsay
I told this story with flannelboard art for a dental care-themed program for both Spanish and bilingual story times. In the Bear's Toothache, a little boy tries to help a bear loosen his bad tooth. Nothing works until the boy ties a string around the tooth and the other end to his bed post and has him JUMP out of the window. To be honest, it sounds awful and scary, but the story works since the bear is so thankful that his tooth is gone. I just fear for those kids who might try something similar ...more
Lindi
It has been years since we read this book, but the memory is very fresh -- the page with the exhausted dad, bleary-eyed in doorway, not noticing the bear hiding under the bed in particular. Also the way Nick and Kagan's excited toddler-speak, recounting the story, would give way to perfect English with "The tooth popped out!", which always surprised the random adults they would accost. Lovely.
Tracy
Confession - this is one of my favorite books. When I interviewed for my current job, I had to audition as well. This is the book I chose. A cold read, I told the story with a stuffed bear - the bear rightly stole the show.

*Bears
*Dentist
*Doctor
*Toothache
Rebekah Jones
The book was a fun story about a bear and a boy. It was interesting to see how the boy used problem solving to help the bear with his toothache.
Chandra Turner Shoalmire
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid! One of the few I can remember reading over and over again.
Andrea
This is one of those perfectly constructed picture books with humor, ingenuity and a perfect ending. Loved it!
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2008-Okay, good to use for younger children and talking about predictions."
Jen
David McPhail writes the most wonderful stories for children.
Tam
This is a very short book for young children.
Sheneeka
Sheneeka marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Berna Gurdal
Berna Gurdal marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Noveen
Noveen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Apr 14, 2014
Sarah added it
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more
More about David McPhail...
Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore! Mole Music Edward and the Pirates Waddles The Teddy Bear