Start by marking “The Construction Alphabet Book” as Want to Read:
The Construction Alphabet Book

The Construction Alphabet Book (Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Smash! Crash! Ka-boom!

A is for Aerial lift.
B is for Backhoe.
C is for Cement Mixer.

Readers explore construction equipment in this noisy alphabet book. Jerry Pallotta's trademark humor punctuates the informative text. Vibrant oil paintings bring to life a busy construction site.
Hardcover
Published July 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Construction Alphabet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Construction Alphabet Book

Bunnyjadwiga
Various pieces of construction equipment are profiled for each letter of the alphabet. Plus another A, B, and C... apparently the author couldn't bear to leave out bulldozer etc. The illustrations are realism drawings and thus fairly boring to a non-construction-obsessed parent, but the text descriptions are interesting/entertaining, especially the ones that describe how the equipment sounds. A bigger variety of equipment (including X-scaffolding and Quad-axel trailers!) than is usual in such bo ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He does like his alphabet books.

I was impressed that the entire alphabet was used to list construction equipment. I was doubly impressed when Jerry Pallotta didn't "cheat" with the X word. I have to admit that we didn't read all of the text: It was lengthy and didn't add much to the book. But still, this was a very enjoyable read.

And the illustrations were very well done.
Esutterlin
Like the coverage, and the sound effects at the end of each machine. However the library selectors or catalogers where I work assigned this to concept picture books, and it would really work better in nonfiction, as the descriptions are a little lengthy for new alphabet learners.
Sandra Strange
Same author as icky bugs, etc, but a different illustrator, this one appeals to boys 3-5 or so, with different construction equipment vehicles for each letter, with short, informative and entertaining texts for each letter. (In fact, at the end, it begins again with A and B.)
Samantha Penrose
A great choice for construction site loving kids. My boys (ages 3 & 5) and I learned alot from this book including the proper name for the vactor truck, and that the word laser is an acronym...it stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation....what a mouthful!
At first I thought the book was a little too technical, but the kids really enjoy reading it and they retained the majority of the information in it. They can identify any equipment on any construction site and ha
Veronika
Great pictures, I would like to hang a print like this in my son's bedroom.

Great text, explains the machines, their real names and function and for the little reader gives very descriptive sounds.

My two year old is loves machines. This was great book because it gives the real names (which I need to learn too) and the pictures are beautiful (machines don't have to have ugly, computer made pictures).

I think it will be great book for later years too, help with the letter sounds.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I didn't like how this book ended. I loved working the way through the alphabet with various construction tools, vehicles, etc. But at the end it started the alphabet over again. After the second "a" and "b" and "c" the book says it doesn't have enough pages to do the alphabet over again so the reader should finish the alphabet themselves. Personally I think they should have just stopped after the first alphabet...then I would have just been excited about all the fun construction tools.
Amy
My niece and nephew and I just love these Jerry Pallotta alphabet books. All of them are just so educational, entertaining, and beautifully drawn. This one was no exception. My niece didn't care so much for it (she says), but her interaction with her brother and me while reading the story tells a different tale. Her brother loved it, and so did I. Just another great Jerry Pallotta alphabet book.
Kiddo
I find this book charming and helpful. Never did I think I'd be so pleased to find out the difference between an excavator and a backhoe loader (the former rotates 360 degrees) or a grader and scraper (the latter can fill in holes as it goes). The illustrations are very nice. The author has a few little jokes in the text and does not just go A to Z. He starts over again and does a second A - C ending with encouragement for the reader to finish it and 'Write a zillion books!'
Wooden Horse
I grew up knowing quite a few of these machines since my Grandfather was an owner-operator of a backhoe. I did not know all of them however and was surprised by the advisory mentioned on the front-end loader page that riding in the bucket was dangerous. I've ridden in the bucket of my Grandpa's backhoe and it was a lot of fun!! If I remember correctly we just went up about ... 10 feet... and back down again. He didn't actually drive anywhere.
Megan Wilson
I enjoy this book because it is a fantastic book for boy readers. They can explore construction equipment in this noisy alphabet book. Vibrant oil paintings bring to life a busy construction site. It is so important to get boys excited about reading. I would use this book in a unit about ABC's at the start of my school year.
Cindi
A fun way to go through the alphabet and learn the names and functions of various machines too. The text in the book was too advanced for a two year old, but he listened because he liked the pictures so much!

We plan on reading more of Jerry Pallotta's alphabet books. He's got a zillion!
Richard Guinn
The pictures are interesting and do a great job. However, the text is a little complex. That being said, I suppose it is something that someone learning how to read could grow into.

Book by Jerry Pallotta. Illustrated by Rob Bolster.
Brandielle
Not my area of interest but my son loved it. Good simple info about many construction tools. Many of the descriptions contained the noises the machines make, which some paople might like but I found annoying to read aloud.
Emerson
Good, but weird sound effects. Images were drawings that appeared to be photos. Kept his interest.
This book also teaches both the upper and lower case letter--something we recently learned is important.
Maryann
I loved the creativity used in this book and how the end encourages thinking.
Garnet
boys loved it. Lots of details about construction equipment.
Joshua's Mom
A great book for construction lovers. More for three and up.
Nancy J.
Realisic pictures of 26+ big rigs!!
Jessica
My boys eat this book up!
Mona Reese
Mona Reese marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Kelly Block
Kelly Block marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
lee
lee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Richey Family
Richey Family marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to ...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...

Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Bird Alphabet Book
  • The Skull Alphabet Book
  • The Yucky Reptile Alphabet Book
  • The Dinosaur Alphabet Book
  • The Beetle Alphabet Book
Apple Fractions The Icky Bug Alphabet Book Hershey's Fractions Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? The Underwater Alphabet Book