Start by marking “Apple Fractions” as Want to Read:
Apple Fractions

Apple Fractions (Jerry Pallotta Math Books)

Best-selling author Jerry Pallotta turns his talents to teaching fractions to kids by using a healthy snack food: apples!

Author Jerry Pallotta and illustrator Rob Bolster use a variety of different apples to teach kids all about fractions in this innovative and enjoyable book. Playful elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and more. Young read
Published August 1st 2003 by Cartwheel (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Apple Fractions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple Fractions

Wendy
Apr 22, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This book would be great to use to teach about fractions. In this book, people have to share an apple and it shows how to cut the apple to divide it fairly. The pictures are great and very clearly show how to cut an apple. I like this book because it would be easy to do a great hands on activity with it. The teacher could have real apples in the class cut into fractions (the students can't cut them for obvious reasons...). The students could do work with equivalent fractions by trading pieces of ...more
Emily
Dec 04, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-4050
1. This is a creative way to introduce fractions using different types of apples.
2. Grades 2-3
3. Math
4. Students who enjoy learning new math could enjoy this.
5/6. I would use this in my classroom to introduce fractions. I could use an activity with real apples to have students demonstrate the fractions and pieces.
7. The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar Fractions Book, Full House
8. None
Kawsar Chavez
Mar 24, 2015 Kawsar Chavez rated it it was amazing
Informational Text- This is a great book for kids learning about fractions. It introduces fractions but telling a story about apples. Each page shows a different type of apple and ways to split it into equal portions. It also gives your different facts about the apples as they appear and relates it to the story. The concepts get more complex as the story moves along.
I think this book would helps 3rd graders as they begin to explore fractions, however, I believe that it is on a reading level sui
Rachel Anne  Boody
Mar 17, 2015 Rachel Anne Boody rated it liked it
Shelves: 21-mathematics
I really liked reading this picture book, with my future students in mind. It explains and teaches all about fractions in a really easy-to-understand way. Many students, including myself, struggle with mathematics and it's important that we teach the basics in a very simple way that allows them to build upon what they already know and understand. This book teaches fractions in an excellent way, using fun examples with pictures of how the various fruits will be cut based on how many slices are wa ...more
Sapphire Moosman
Mar 17, 2015 Sapphire Moosman rated it really liked it
Fractions. Even seeing the word on the front of the children's book made me cringe. Even now the horror of those first months of learning fractions still echoes in my mind like a scream into an empty, dark room.

Of course I am being dramatic, but to my young mind, that is not far off from what I would think of fractions. This book is a fun and interesting way for kids to learn fractions. Even better if you were to have an interactive activity along with it involving the fruit mentioned in the boo
Katie Plumley
* 2nd - 4th

* Great introduction to fractions that can be used in the fall.

* Bring in apples and actually cut them to share like the book does (make sure to get the different kinds that the book highlights!)

* Looks at improper fractions, area model, set model and length model.

* Adds fractions together to show parts and whole of an area model

* Shows oranges and pears as well, could do a unit on comparing fruits and their life cycles

* Diagrams the parts of an apple

* Create the best apple pie recipe
Carlee
Mar 31, 2013 Carlee rated it liked it
Whitney Bailey
Oct 24, 2012 Whitney Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, fractions, fruits
This math book introduces apples to the reader and shows how to split apples in halves, fourths, thirds and so on.

This book would be great example for students to be able to manipulate real apples or objects while the teacher is reading the story aloud. Allowing the students to have hands on experience by cutting the apple into fractions, will give students a better understanding of what fractions look like when manipulated.

This book actually shows apples being cut up into the identical fractio
Marina
Mar 19, 2014 Marina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: numbers-are-fun
This is an excellent book about fractions. Most students can relate to apples and have clear imaginations about apples. The story informs about different types of apples. I could recreate this book by reading it and having the apples for every student so they would grasp the fraction concept much easier. Then the students could snack on something healthy. This book reminded my personal learning about fractions. I assume that will help my students to learn as well, because they will have a direct ...more
Daniel
Mar 31, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
A book about fractions which uses apples to show fractions. I love how this applies to real life. It also shows different types of apples. And after reading about fractions with apples, you can apply this directly by slicing apples into slices and having a healthy snack. Bonus. The only thing, though, I had a problem with is using tiny people to show apple fractions instead of normal people with kids. It makes sense that the apples need to be seen closely to notice the fractions, but there could ...more
Olivia Bailey
This is a great book about fractions. Most students can relate to apples;therefore, it can help understand fractions.
The book is very informative about the different types of apples. A teacher could recreate this book by reading it and having the apples there to cut in front of the students so the grasp the fraction concepts. Then the students could snack on something healthy.

The book teaches about the major fractions: halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, tenths, etc. This could lead to students br
Laura Carby
Apr 18, 2012 Laura Carby rated it it was amazing
Playful elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and more. Young readers will also learn about varieties of apples, including Golden and Red Delicious, Granny Smiths, Cortlands, and even Asian Pears. In my classroom I bring in all different kinds of apples and we learn about fractions, we graph our favorite kinds, and use our senses to tell the kind of apple! Students in my class love this book!
Mallory White
Apr 10, 2013 Mallory White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Can be used in the older grades 1-4 grade. It is great for introducing fractions and talking about them based on 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 etc.. I like the idea of apples and how easy it is for you to bring in apples to share with the story. You could break into small groups and tell each group to show us how they could get a different fraction by dividing their own different apples. You can add fractions together to show the part and the whole of a whole apple. Very cute!
Julie Graham 47150
Mar 14, 2012 Julie Graham 47150 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to read to children who are beginning to learn about fractions. It also helps them to learn about many kinds of apples. On Tuesday, I brought all the apple varieties mentioned in the book to school. I sat on the carpet with my students and we read the book, cut the apples to match the book, and then ate the goodness that laid before us. It was fun!
Olivia Kirkham
Mar 31, 2014 Olivia Kirkham rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
Great book for fractions. It starts so simple and then gradually gets more into adding fractions and simplifying them. I personally would use them book in my classroom because it introduces fractions in a non threatening way. Most kids don't like fractions but this book introduces them in a fun way.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This is an awesome themed book, the teacher could bring out during his/her apple unit. Even more, the book is great for introducing those weird things called "fractions". The book demostrates how some little elves work hard at dividing apples evenly. At the end of the book, there is also a treat, showing you other foods that you can divide easily and evenly.
Nicole
Apr 10, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Great informational text on apples and fractions. Great for use in the fall when apples are everywhere and teacher's best treat! The book discusses important ideas such as fractions as part of a whole and ways to EQUALLY share the apple. Fruits and food in general are great tools to help teach young children fractions.

Ages 6-10.
Kayla Quinn
This book is about fractions using apples. Children reading this book will also learn about the different types of apples, and how to make or understand fractions. The book can be beneficial in class for children to comprehend how to do fractions so that they can carry what they learned with them through life.
Jasmin Thompson
Apr 14, 2012 Jasmin Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book can be used to introduce students to fractions. Elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, and tenths. Based on the standards, children must correctly learn how to divide fractions. Fractions can be challenging to teach, using a simple yet effective book at this one surely make things easier.
Stephanie
Mar 31, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
I thought this book was written very clever. I liked how the author tied math, well fractions, with food...What better way to teach math?! I liked how they used the examples of using slices from apples and oranges. I know that helped me understand what was being taught in the book. I think this book would be great for students who are learning about fractions.
Yadira
Apr 08, 2012 Yadira rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, fractions
This book uses apples to show children different fractions. It would be a good book to read to review fractions and then have the children use actual apples to create fractions. This is also a good book to start the introduction of adding fractions.
Celeste Lambert
Apr 01, 2015 Celeste Lambert rated it liked it
Shelves: 21-mathematics
I think this would be a great book to use when teaching. I want to be a math teacher so this would be an awesome book to use when teaching about fractions! I could even bring in some apples for the children.
Sarah Ziskend
Math:
-fractions
-whole vs part
-divide
-equal parts

As a teacher of mathematics, I could use this book when teaching fractions. After reading the book, I would give each of my students an apple and a plastic knife. Then I would ask them to create various fractions out of their apple.
Mar 30, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This book teaches fractions.
I also LOVE that it incorporates food.
Can be used with the Set Fraction Model
This book is great for 2-3rd grade.
It also includes science because it talks of various types of apples.
Amy
Feb 22, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
If B. likes a mathy picture book then I am thrilled. She liked this one. She really loved learning about all the varieties of apples for some reason and so that made the fraction lesson more palatable.
Ali Hembree
Apr 06, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This book is great to use as a teaching aid when talking about fractions. It teaches the kids how to divide the apple according to how many people can share the apple. Very good picture so the kids can easily understand how to divide it evenly.
Shannon Clark
Dec 07, 2012 Shannon Clark rated it liked it
Great book for introducing, teaching, and reinforcing the concept of fractions. Although I do have to say it was sort of weird for them to just throw in a page about oranges and one about pears when the WHOLE rest of the book was about apples!
Jazmyne Henry
This book is a great way to introduce fractions to your students. This books shows the many ways to share fruit evenly with a different amount of people. This book also takes a healthy approach to snack eating and sharing.
Samantha Brown
Dec 01, 2014 Samantha Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I thought that this was a fun book. Though I didn't like the random page about oranges. Other then that it was really good. I liked how it teaches you about different types of apples and how to share them with your friends.
Evelyn
Apr 05, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it
This book is great to teach students about fractions. It can be used for students in 1-3 grade. It demonstrates how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and many more. It can also be used to teach students in Kindergarten about the different types of apples.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • A Remainder of One
  • Millions to Measure
  • Measuring Penny
  • Full House: An Invitation to Fractions
  • Math Potatoes: Mind-stretching Brain Food
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Each Orange Had 8 Slices
  • Quack and Count
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to ...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...

Jerry Pallotta Math Books (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Count to a Million
  • The Icky Bug Counting Book
  • Icky Bug Numbers
  • Adding Fractions
  • Reese's Pieces Count By Tens
  • Hershey's Milk Chocolate Multiplication Book
  • Hershey's Kisses: Multiplication and Division
  • Multiplication
  • From Addition To Multiplication (Hershey's Chocolate Math)
  • Pizza Fractions