Start by marking “Apple Fractions” as Want to Read:
Apple Fractions

Apple Fractions (Jerry Pallotta Math Books)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Best-selling author Jerry Pallotta turns his talents to teaching fractions to kids by using a healthy snack food: apples!

Author Jerry Pallotta and illustrator Rob Bolster use a variety of different apples to teach kids all about fractions in this innovative and enjoyable book. Playful elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and more. Young read...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Cartwheel (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Apple Fractions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple Fractions

Wendy
This book would be great to use to teach about fractions. In this book, people have to share an apple and it shows how to cut the apple to divide it fairly. The pictures are great and very clearly show how to cut an apple. I like this book because it would be easy to do a great hands on activity with it. The teacher could have real apples in the class cut into fractions (the students can't cut them for obvious reasons...). The students could do work with equivalent fractions by trading pieces of...more
Daniel
A book about fractions which uses apples to show fractions. I love how this applies to real life. It also shows different types of apples. And after reading about fractions with apples, you can apply this directly by slicing apples into slices and having a healthy snack. Bonus. The only thing, though, I had a problem with is using tiny people to show apple fractions instead of normal people with kids. It makes sense that the apples need to be seen closely to notice the fractions, but there could...more
Marina
This is an excellent book about fractions. Most students can relate to apples and have clear imaginations about apples. The story informs about different types of apples. I could recreate this book by reading it and having the apples for every student so they would grasp the fraction concept much easier. Then the students could snack on something healthy. This book reminded my personal learning about fractions. I assume that will help my students to learn as well, because they will have a direct...more
Stephanie
I thought this book was written very clever. I liked how the author tied math, well fractions, with food...What better way to teach math?! I liked how they used the examples of using slices from apples and oranges. I know that helped me understand what was being taught in the book. I think this book would be great for students who are learning about fractions.
Olivia Kirkham
Great book for fractions. It starts so simple and then gradually gets more into adding fractions and simplifying them. I personally would use them book in my classroom because it introduces fractions in a non threatening way. Most kids don't like fractions but this book introduces them in a fun way.
Lynnette
I love this book. What an easy book for teachers to use when teaching fractions. I read it as an adult and understood fractions more that I ever have. Students will learn to love doing fractions if they are taught in the way this book is.
Amy
If B. likes a mathy picture book then I am thrilled. She liked this one. She really loved learning about all the varieties of apples for some reason and so that made the fraction lesson more palatable.
Shelem Horton
This is one of my favorite math books for children. IT illustrates so perfectly the magic and beauty of fractions. Fractions might sound scarry for kids, but this book is awesome! it's simple, cute, and super easy to understand and learn:)
Alissa Nolan
A great introductory book about what fractions are. This book also has some great information about apples.
Rida
A fun way to uncluttered fractions for 1st graders really good book
Olivia Bailey
This is a great book about fractions. Most students can relate to apples;therefore, it can help understand fractions.
The book is very informative about the different types of apples. A teacher could recreate this book by reading it and having the apples there to cut in front of the students so the grasp the fraction concepts. Then the students could snack on something healthy.

The book teaches about the major fractions: halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, tenths, etc. This could lead to students br...more
Katie Plumley
* 2nd - 4th

* Great introduction to fractions that can be used in the fall.

* Bring in apples and actually cut them to share like the book does (make sure to get the different kinds that the book highlights!)

* Looks at improper fractions, area model, set model and length model.

* Adds fractions together to show parts and whole of an area model

* Shows oranges and pears as well, could do a unit on comparing fruits and their life cycles

* Diagrams the parts of an apple

* Create the best apple pie recipe...more
Whitney Bailey
This math book introduces apples to the reader and shows how to split apples in halves, fourths, thirds and so on.

This book would be great example for students to be able to manipulate real apples or objects while the teacher is reading the story aloud. Allowing the students to have hands on experience by cutting the apple into fractions, will give students a better understanding of what fractions look like when manipulated.

This book actually shows apples being cut up into the identical fractio...more
Carlee
Mallory White
Can be used in the older grades 1-4 grade. It is great for introducing fractions and talking about them based on 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 etc.. I like the idea of apples and how easy it is for you to bring in apples to share with the story. You could break into small groups and tell each group to show us how they could get a different fraction by dividing their own different apples. You can add fractions together to show the part and the whole of a whole apple. Very cute!
Laura Carby
Playful elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and more. Young readers will also learn about varieties of apples, including Golden and Red Delicious, Granny Smiths, Cortlands, and even Asian Pears. In my classroom I bring in all different kinds of apples and we learn about fractions, we graph our favorite kinds, and use our senses to tell the kind of apple! Students in my class love this book!
Julie Graham 47150
This is a wonderful book to read to children who are beginning to learn about fractions. It also helps them to learn about many kinds of apples. On Tuesday, I brought all the apple varieties mentioned in the book to school. I sat on the carpet with my students and we read the book, cut the apples to match the book, and then ate the goodness that laid before us. It was fun!
Tiffany
This is an awesome themed book, the teacher could bring out during his/her apple unit. Even more, the book is great for introducing those weird things called "fractions". The book demostrates how some little elves work hard at dividing apples evenly. At the end of the book, there is also a treat, showing you other foods that you can divide easily and evenly.
Jasmin Thompson
This book can be used to introduce students to fractions. Elves demonstrate how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, and tenths. Based on the standards, children must correctly learn how to divide fractions. Fractions can be challenging to teach, using a simple yet effective book at this one surely make things easier.
Nicole
Great informational text on apples and fractions. Great for use in the fall when apples are everywhere and teacher's best treat! The book discusses important ideas such as fractions as part of a whole and ways to EQUALLY share the apple. Fruits and food in general are great tools to help teach young children fractions.

Ages 6-10.
Kayla Quinn
This book is about fractions using apples. Children reading this book will also learn about the different types of apples, and how to make or understand fractions. The book can be beneficial in class for children to comprehend how to do fractions so that they can carry what they learned with them through life.
Sarah Ziskend
Math:
-fractions
-whole vs part
-divide
-equal parts

As a teacher of mathematics, I could use this book when teaching fractions. After reading the book, I would give each of my students an apple and a plastic knife. Then I would ask them to create various fractions out of their apple.
Tara Mensing
This is a fantastic book for practicing fractions! The visuals are great because the book not only shows the numerical fraction form, the fraction spelled out, but also a sentence explaining the fractions and a picture of the fractional apple portion to go along with it!
Evelyn
This book is great to teach students about fractions. It can be used for students in 1-3 grade. It demonstrates how to divide apples into halves, thirds, fourths, and many more. It can also be used to teach students in Kindergarten about the different types of apples.
Yadira
This book uses apples to show children different fractions. It would be a good book to read to review fractions and then have the children use actual apples to create fractions. This is also a good book to start the introduction of adding fractions.
Shannon Clark
Great book for introducing, teaching, and reinforcing the concept of fractions. Although I do have to say it was sort of weird for them to just throw in a page about oranges and one about pears when the WHOLE rest of the book was about apples!
Ali Hembree
This book is great to use as a teaching aid when talking about fractions. It teaches the kids how to divide the apple according to how many people can share the apple. Very good picture so the kids can easily understand how to divide it evenly.
This book teaches fractions.
I also LOVE that it incorporates food.
Can be used with the Set Fraction Model
This book is great for 2-3rd grade.
It also includes science because it talks of various types of apples.
Jazmyne Henry
This book is a great way to introduce fractions to your students. This books shows the many ways to share fruit evenly with a different amount of people. This book also takes a healthy approach to snack eating and sharing.
Andrew Perry
This books is great for introducing fractions. The pictures provide a situation where people want to share an apple, which requires knowledge of fractions to divide the apple evenly between everyone.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • A Remainder of One
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Millions to Measure
  • Measuring Penny
  • Grapes Of Math
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Each Orange Had 8 Slices
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
  • Counting on Frank
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...
The Icky Bug Alphabet Book Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? Hershey's Fractions A Giraffe Did One The Underwater Alphabet Book